Parity in CFB

Saban needs to hang it up and retire. If he does, that is the end of Bama football for the foreseeable future. They won't be able to out bid teams like they used to and the next coaches seat is going to be boiling the first year they don't win the natty.

I saw the whole interview. It was taken out of context. He was throwing a shot at A&M, but he was also prodding his boosters to start paying more. Lol.

Advertisement
There’s never been parity in college football. There’s always been a handful of teams capable of competing for national titles and everyone else is just trying to get to that level. As long as players are recruited, some schools are going to get the lion’s share of the best players. And some schools will always have to dig through the scraps. I mean maybe they can start having a draft where the worst teams get the first picks? Or maybe salary caps. Not just for players but for coaching staffs and total budgets? I mean is it parity if one school has a $50 million facility and another practices in an open field?
I totally get that, and that’s all fine.
But it feels like “the have’s” list is getting smaller not budging (maybe it has always felt this way?).
The gap to those next teams down feels immense.
Or maybe it’s the same as it has always been.
Bama, UGA, Ohio State…just feel so far out in front with TAMU almost on their own in the next group (based on spending and potential alone) then LSU, ND, Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma.
Followed by the next group of spenders in USC and us.
But it feels like the top 3 and the rest. That group used to include Clemson, and I know one down year shouldn’t be that big of a deal, but it feels different with them. A down year for Bama and Ohio state is losing a semi final.

Again happy for a few to team mates to dominate in windows, but would just like to see the windows smaller, and the possibility for other teams to make the leap.

I saw the whole interview. It was taken out of context. He was throwing a shot at A&M, but he was also prodding his boosters to start paying more. Lol.
Oh ya, I am not saying Saban is not going to continue winning NCs, but he is getting old so he needs to retire eventually and he is not going to be able to be as dominant as he was, pre NIL.

But the Bama fans don't want to hear that, so if Saban retires in the next couple of years. Any coach that comes is going to be absolutely fvcked. Anyone that doesn't have the same success saban had(which will be impossible for Bama with NIL). Is going to get fired ASAP. They are going to end up with the revolving doors of HCs if Saban retires soon.

I have made a classic internet mistake and run on only the snippet I saw.
Thought I would have learnt by now.
I’m sure the Bama boys will come to the party

Oh ya, I am not saying Saban is not going to continue winning NCs, but he is getting old so he needs to retire eventually and he is not going to be able to be as dominant as he was, pre NIL.

But the Bama fans don't want to hear that, so if Saban retires in the next couple of years. Any coach that comes is going to be absolutely fvcked. Anyone that doesn't have the same success saban had(which will be impossible for Bama with NIL). Is going to get fired ASAP. They are going to end up with the revolving doors of HCs if Saban retires soon.

This is actually what I want…let chaos rain, especially over Tuscaloosa.

Advertisement
This is actually what I want…let chaos rain, especially over Tuscaloosa.
Me too. That is why I want Saban to retire lol. If Saban sticks around fora 5+ more years, lets his roster get a bit more depleted, starts losing to TAMU and UGA a bit more often, fans will be furious, but their expectations will be lowered a bit. If Saban retires soon. All the future coaches will lose the NIL excuse and the fans will say "But Saban would have still been winning even with NIL"

this makes me admire bill snyder at kansas state even more than I already have. They were ranked 2nd in the country and looking like a nightmare in 2000 I believe it was. How he did that is beyond me. But we need more of it and unless the feds and ncaa crack down on bags, it's not happening.

in a perfect world where no money is involved, parity would be there at some level. That's never gonna happen, and it makes boise state, kansas state and others like them all the more impressive.

I'm really interested to see what happens with the washington huskies, will they be back?

Advertisement
What a joke. So he believes that before NIL there was parity?

How will he bring about parity in the under the table payouts?

How will he bring about parity in all of the money spent on the programs for coaches and support staff, recruiting and facilities that include incredible stadiums, workout areas, meeting/video facilities, lockers, lounge, r&r and play areas, practice facilities, dorms and athletics food?

Alabama is one of the top couple of programs for spending in all of these areas, and that is a big reason it has drawn its recruits.

From different sites, and there are plenty out there on spending and facilities.

Must be a coincidence that the teams in the CFP are regularly from the top of the lists. Why the **** is he not being asked about this?

Top 25 Spenders in College Athletics​

Ohio State – $215,209,566
Michigan – $180,841,523
Texas – $173,648,028
Alabama – $173,141,125
Texas A&M – $159,136,624
Penn State – $157,908,311
Oklahoma – $157,494,527
Florida State – $155,656,855
LSU – $155,591,015
Wisconsin – $149,196,055
Iowa – $149,161,886
Michigan State – $148,453,353
Tennessee – $140,824,626
Kentucky – $140,578,623
Florida – $139,935,182
Louisville – $138,830,169
Georgia – $138,757,891
Auburn – $135,816,431
South Carolina – $133,776,318
Clemson – $131,781,294
Washington – $128,976,495
Minnesota – $124,818,508
Arkansas – $123,857,351
Illinois – $121,638,435
Oregon – $120,884,588

Top 10 for facilities (which of course is mostly based upon spending):

Oregon, Georgia, Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio St., Clemson, Michigan, LSU, Oklahoma, Penn State, Texas, Texas A&M

Here are the Top 25 Most Valuable College Football Programs [based upon revenue which then leads to spending] courtesy of GoBankingRates:
1. Texas (Tie) – $147
1. Texas A&M (Tie) – $147M
3. Michigan – $139M
4. Alabama – $134M
5. Ohio State – $132M
6. Oklahoma – $129M
7. Georgia – $125M
8. Notre Dame $120M
9. Florida (Tie) – $117M
9. Auburn (Tie) – $117M
11. LSU – $114M
12. Tennessee – $113M
13. Penn State – $104M
14. Oregon (Tie) – $96M
14. Florida State (Tie) – $96M
16. South Carolina (Tie) – $95M
16. Arkansas (Tie) – $95M
18. USC – $93M
19. Washington – $92M
20. Nebraska – $91M
21. Iowa – $89M
22. Michigan State – $87M
23. Wisconsin – $86M
24. Ole Miss – $84M
25. Clemson – $77M

Me too. That is why I want Saban to retire lol. If Saban sticks around fora 5+ more years, lets his roster get a bit more depleted, starts losing to TAMU and UGA a bit more often, fans will be furious, but their expectations will be lowered a bit. If Saban retires soon. All the future coaches will lose the NIL excuse and the fans will say "But Saban would have still been winning even with NIL"
Saban ain't retiring he got too much pride

Advertisement
If we mean parity as in more teams having a chance to win the National Championship then we scrap the playoffs and go back to the old bowl system.

If he wants parity then he should support limits on the number of analysts and people in the recruiting department. It’s window dressing and bull****. I said this to my Bama friend at dinner when he said that. The conversation shifted quickly after.

Advertisement
Back