Parity in CFB

Southern Oz

Recruit
So it’s 1:40am in Aus and Covid has got me awake and thinking.

I heard Saban on Paul Finebaum (who speaks like he has got dementia). And he said that “college football hasn’t got it right”…in regards to parity across the sport. Whether Saban actually believes the words he said is not what I was hoping to discuss. But..,

- while CFB has never had true equality, can it be brought closer together? Is there any hope?

- what needs to change? (I assume this would be around NIL and transfer portal, which were supposed to be the great equalisers, but have done the opposite).

- what things would you like to see?

I have my own ideas, some are a little crazy, but I just thought that there could be some interesting discussion, rather than every second post having the word PAUSE in it.

Advertisement
Donald Trump What GIF by Jeff Dunham

So it’s 1:40am in Aus and Covid has got me awake and thinking.

I heard Saban on Paul Finebaum (who speaks like he has got dementia). And he said that “college football hasn’t got it right”…in regards to parity across the sport. Whether Saban actually believes the words he said is not what I was hoping to discuss. But..,

- while CFB has never had true equality, can it be brought closer together? Is there any hope?

- what needs to change? (I assume this would be around NIL and transfer portal, which were supposed to be the great equalisers, but have done the opposite).

- what things would you like to see?

I have my own ideas, some are a little crazy, but I just thought that there could be some interesting discussion, rather than every second post having the word PAUSE in it.
Define "parity".

- Saban is correct--and he fears he isn't on right side of looming NIL re-adjustment
- Should D1P5 become unfettered law of jungle or guardrails installed?
-- Law of jungle reduces realistic teams to maybe 5-10 tops (probably closer to 5)
-- Guardrails keep 10-15 truly "in it" y-t-y, but what do they look like?
- Is there an NFL role in formal tie-ins w/ 32 college teams?

Without guardrails, NIL will put out into the open 5-ish "haves" and everyone else can watch. Yes there will be Cinderellas, but consistently it will be the NIL powerhouses. I'm not sure who those are 5-10 years from now.

TAMU will be interesting case study over next 3 years. One of two articles will be written: "Cuckbo lit on fire $xxMM with no natties to show for it"....OR...."Cuckbo wins natty at TAMU for the price of $xxMM".

I suspect similar ink will be laid about USC and our Hurricanes.

Advertisement
- Saban is correct--and he fears he isn't on right side of looming NIL re-adjustment
- Should D1P5 become unfettered law of jungle or guardrails installed?
-- Law of jungle reduces realistic teams to maybe 5-10 tops (probably closer to 5)
-- Guardrails keep 10-15 truly "in it" y-t-y, but what do they look like?
- Is there an NFL role in formal tie-ins w/ 32 college teams?

Without guardrails, NIL will put out into the open 5-ish "haves" and everyone else can watch. Yes there will be Cinderellas, but consistently it will be the NIL powerhouses. I'm not sure who those are 5-10 years from now.

TAMU will be interesting case study over next 3 years. One of two articles will be written: "Cuckbo lit on fire $xxMM with no natties to show for it"....OR...."Cuckbo wins natty at TAMU for the price of $xxMM".

I suspect similar ink will be laid about USC and our Hurricanes.
I guess I was just going off of what Saban said. So I’m not going to define parity for him.
I find it interesting that you think he comes down on the wrong side of this.

I guess is that 5 team only, something that we are happy to see. I bet if we asked Miami fans this 6 months ago, they wouldn’t be happy with the landscape. But since the money has been flowing all of a sudden, fans are far more satisfied with the state of affairs.

I have just disliked the rinse/repeat nature of college football, since the playoff began really.
Maybe we just let this thread die.

Advertisement
As Cane fans do we care about parity do we want what Bama has and what we had in the past?

Dominate!
I agree, i think I have a slightly different perspective on it.

As an Australian, the whole college football experience is totally different to anything we have here. So the ‘health’ of the sport is something that I also care about. I am a huge Miami fan, and yes I want us to have a dynasty to last th e test of time. And I will always want FSU to be terrible. No parity for that.

But when I wake up 1:30am Sunday morning running 3 or 4 games at the same time, I want interesting, good games across the board, with national relevance. The more of them, the better…to me at least

I guess I was just going off of what Saban said. So I’m not going to define parity for him.
I find it interesting that you think he comes down on the wrong side of this.

I guess is that 5 team only, something that we are happy to see. I bet if we asked Miami fans this 6 months ago, they wouldn’t be happy with the landscape. But since the money has been flowing all of a sudden, fans are far more satisfied with the state of affairs.

I have just disliked the rinse/repeat nature of college football, since the playoff began really.
Maybe we just let this thread die.
This is CIS.

Threads NEVER DIE.

I agree, i think I have a slightly different perspective on it.

As an Australian, the whole college football experience is totally different to anything we have here. So the ‘health’ of the sport is something that I also care about. I am a huge Miami fan, and yes I want us to have a dynasty to last th e test of time. And I will always want FSU to be terrible. No parity for that.

But when I wake up 1:30am Sunday morning running 3 or 4 games at the same time, I want interesting, good games across the board, with national relevance. The more of them, the better…to me at least
How do they handle parity in Rugby or AFL?

PS All Blacks Rule!

You know we love ya...

Advertisement
How do they handle parity in Rugby or AFL?

PS All Blacks Rule!

You know we love ya...

Our wallabies are struggling at the moment. NZ crush us all the time. They are good.

AFL is set up the same way at the NFL. In an 18 team comp, the dream is to have every team win one over an 18 year period.

There are bugs in the machine…and it’s totally different than CFB obviously, and I’m not aiming for that. I just like the idea of 10-12 legitimate challengers every year, and that those challengers come from a bigger pool than currently exists. That’s all.

Anyway…all just thoughts.
Wish I could get back over at some point and see some more.

Advertisement
There’s never been parity in college football. There’s always been a handful of teams capable of competing for national titles and everyone else is just trying to get to that level. As long as players are recruited, some schools are going to get the lion’s share of the best players. And some schools will always have to dig through the scraps. I mean maybe they can start having a draft where the worst teams get the first picks? Or maybe salary caps. Not just for players but for coaching staffs and total budgets? I mean is it parity if one school has a $50 million facility and another practices in an open field?

Advertisement
Back