Parents, I've got a 9 year old.

SayWhat

Sophomore
Premium
He's all about watching us play, well, until he isn't.

How do you keep their attention up with this team? I've said before that kids aren't interested in watching sports by and large, but he was so excited for this game to start. Said some cute *** things when a play would happen, always giving us the benefit of doubt when it didn't.

He was steadfast until halftime and then that was it. Maybe he fed off of me somewhat although what I was thinking in my head was I've seen this script before.

When I was growing up, it was fun watching us dismantle teams. Now, it's almost like we're gluttons for punishment. So what's your secret if you've got a little one or have been through it before. I'm trying to figure it out and make some memories with my boy and eventually we can talk about games present or past. I just don't want him to lose interest.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

How do you keep their attention up with this team? I've said before that kids aren't interested in watching sports by and large, but he was so excited for this game to start. Said some cute *** things when a play would happen, always giving us the benefit of doubt when it didn't.

He was steadfast until halftime and then that was it. Maybe he fed off of me somewhat although what I was thinking in my head was I've seen this script before.

When I was growing up, it was fun watching us dismantle teams. Now, it's almost like we're gluttons for punishment. So what's your secret if you've got a little one or have been through it before. I'm trying to figure it out and make some memories with my boy and eventually we can talk about games present or past. I just don't want him to lose interest.

Thoughts?
Take him to a few games even if they are weaker teams to gain his interest. It helped me because game day atmosphere is great

He's ***** 9. why would you want to shackle him with such an idiotic past-time? Watching a bunch of sweaty, mungbrains chase a leather ball around for almost 4 hours is peak cuckish behavior. Look, we grew up in a different time, its what folks did, sort of like in the 1800s when men used nails to pick their ***, but you should be happy he doesnt care for this braindead pasttime. Go do some stuff with him that will benefit him. Watching Jaquezy or Jafreaekwious dance after an INT just aint it man, allow him to be better than you. embrace it pop.

I think with kids a key thing in maintaining interest is once they start choosing favorite players. I know that was a big thing thing with watching baseball as a kid and that's a sport that requires a pretty strong attention span.

This one might seem funny on the surface too but I bet the re-emergence of NCAA Football video games helps draw a lot younger kid interest in watching live games too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He’s only 9. I didn’t actually start watching all games religiously until 11 back in early 90’s. Embrace his excitement even if he checks out half way. My 6yr old son was pumped also, and then told me we needed to trade TVD 😂. It only gains his interest for 20 minutes but each week he wakes up puts his canes shirt on and talks about the game coming up. Be thankful your 9 year old is showing any interest.

Thoughts?

9-year-old?

With Bribery.

Extraordinary - Shameless Bribery.

Thoughts?
You gotta be careful, I made my three Dolphin fans before they could chose themselves. Decades of misery. I apologize every year because they still watch them, I don't anymore.

Advertisement
He's ***** 9. why would you want to shackle him with such an idiotic past-time? Watching a bunch of sweaty, mungbrains chase a leather ball around for almost 4 hours is peak cuckish behavior. Look, we grew up in a different time, its what folks did, sort of like in the 1800s when men used nails to pick their ***, but you should be happy he doesnt care for this braindead pasttime. Go do some stuff with him that will benefit him. Watching Jaquezy or Jafreaekwious dance after an INT just aint it man, allow him to be better than you. embrace it pop.
Lmfao

I’m taking my 6 year old to his 1st game @ Clemson in November. I fell in love with this U when my pops took me to games @ the OB as a kid. That leaky ****hole sparked something in me and I haven’t looked back since. My dad died this past year and it’s still the thing that connected us.

It’s harder with my sons since I live away from SFLA now and can’t take my them to games as often. The good thing is that our kids are young and it’s normal for them to be more worried about Roblox than UM football. There’s plenty of time brother.

I assume this is your first born.
Keeping a 9 year old’s attention for 4 hours is nearly impossible, no matter the activity. More so with boys. I’m impressed he can make it to half time.
****, my 8 year old girl barely makes it through 1 and 1/2 he movie, before wanting to do something else.

Advertisement

Thoughts?
Have you taken him to some games? I have some good memories w my old man going down to Miami for a marlins game Friday and Canes on Saturday but that was back around 99-03 so different era.

I have 3 year old twins now (boys name is ‘Kane’). Just recently got them to throw up a decent ‘U’. At 3 my boy was fighting me last night to put on Dinosaurs but my daughter put her head on my shoulder and said “I like football”. Cute.

My buddy, a Nebraska fan, has this issue with his boy. I’d say don’t let the games upset you. If he sees you miserable or angry during games he will probably feel similar and not care to watch. That’s what happened to my buddy. His boy now enjoys watching UiF…

Good luck but enjoy those times. Will be good memories someday and won’t remember the outcomes of most of the games.

That’s normal for the age, I remember being young and watching a little and then finding friends to play some football myself.

I’m taking my 6 year old to his 1st game @ Clemson in November. I fell in love with this U when my pops took me to games @ the OB as a kid. That leaky ****hole sparked something in me and I haven’t looked back since. My dad died this past year and it’s still the thing that connected us.

It’s harder with my sons since I live away from SFLA now and can’t take my them to games as often. The good thing is that our kids are young and it’s normal for them to be more worried about Roblox than UM football. There’s plenty of time brother.

I'm sorry to hear about your father and thank you for sharing. My father isn't into the Canes, but I know I'd miss our talks come GameDay about them if we did once he passes.

Advertisement
I assume this is your first born.
Keeping a 9 year old’s attention for 4 hours is nearly impossible, no matter the activity. More so with boys. I’m impressed he can make it to half time.
****, my 8 year old girl barely makes it through 1 and 1/2 he movie, before wanting to do something else.

My Wife came with two and the oldest would rather hang himself than engage in anything sports related. The 12 year old is a big boy and loves playing football, but won't watch a second of it. The one we have together, not a lick of interest in playing football, soccer star, but gets all excited about our games. I often wonder if he's just intuitive enough to know that his spark of interest is something I love, so he loves it too.

Appreciate all the words of wisdom and encouragement. He's already looking forward to throttling MTSU, so we better deliver.

He's a no mercy type, purely ruthless on the field and wants to smash opponents. So he wants our Canes to do the same. The middle child is a gentle giant, but we all need to go to a game.

I have 3 boys who are 14, 13, 10.

They were uninterested until 2017.. the turnover chain year. And especially the VT and then ND games back to back. They've been hooked ever since.

Thoughts?

Don't force it. Enjoy the time whem he is engaged and make it a fun. JMO

Advertisement
Back