Palm Beach County

supacane

Senior
I live in West Palm Beach. I get the impression palm beach county football is down for top level FBS prospects. Can anyone plugged in tell if im off on this and if im right what they think is the cause. Are players transferring out of the County or just regular football cycle? Also what happened to Glades Central?

Advertisement
I live in West Palm Beach. I get the impression palm beach county football is down for top level FBS prospects. Can anyone plugged in tell if im off on this and if im right what they think is the cause. Are players transferring out of the County or just regular football cycle? Also what happened to Glades Central?
Pssst.... They're all at STA and the other Broward private powers...

I think with the Muck...alot of families started moving east for job opportunities. So some of their kids are going to other schools, also it seems they change HC alot

Shift in demographics

Advertisement
Still bunch of talent in PBC.. for what ever reason it’s always been over looked compared to Dade and Broward. If I had to guess, the reason is the media outlets is no where near as big in the area.

I hope Mario puts together a team to focus on the Palm Beach and Treasure Coast areas.. the kids aren’t as big of divas as the DC & BC areas..

Last edited:
Advertisement
Crazy Dwyer has become a non factor
I live in Plantation now but grew up in West Palm Beach and went to high school in Riviera Beach. I have not followed recruiting in the area closely in a long time.

However, @RattlerCane305's post above is correct, and I will add a few things here.

Coach Daniels can't be replaced at Dwyer, end of story. Riviera Beach has an INSANE concentration of good players, but just by virtue of district boundaries, they are divided between D Block, Suncoast, Gardens, and Lakes. In a given year, you will also see 3-4 Riviera Beach kids on the roster at Newman and a couple at Benjamin (Newman is a Catholic school and Benjamin is non-parochial private).

Transfer culture has long been common in Palm Beach County. It used to be common for kids from further east to transfer to GC (Damien Berry, Jessie Hester Jr, several RPB kids). There have been far fewer transfers to GC in recent years, and far more transfers out. I don't know if that's an issue of the coaches, but it sure as **** didn't happen in the late 90s, 00s, and early 2010s under Snead, Bueno, Hester, and Blackmon.

Oxbridge, a relatively new private school (Travis Homer), folded its program in recent years amidst allegations of misconduct, but is now restarting again. That could be interesting.

Palm Beach County has always been divided territory in terms of recruiting. Miami has never owned it, but neither have FSU or UF. I don't see that changing. that's also part of the reason you don't know the payers as well.

All of this being said, I don't think that the culture of the area puts as much emphasis on high school football as in the past (I graduated high school in 05, for reference). There may be others who disagree with this sentiment.

@Liberty City El is also familiar with the Riviera Beach area in particular and maybe can shed some additional detail/light on what I am saying.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just off the top of my head,

Miami: Micanor Regis, Santonio Thomas, Kenny Berry, Damien Berry, Travis Benjamin;

Florida State: Kelvin Benjamin, Jesse Hester, Anquan Boldin, Antone Smith;

Ohio State: Santonio Holmes and Albert Dukes;

Brad Banks (Iowa), Alphonso Smith (Wake Forest), Nu'Keese Richardson (Tennessee), Cre'Von LeBlanc (FAU), Will Likely (Maryland), Rickey Jackson (Pitt). And of course there are more, like Andrew Waters, who went to smaller schools.

I'm no scouring the internet for any more names, as I'm not interested in an argument. You're wrong and that's it.

Just off the top of my head,

Miami: Micanor Regis, Santonio Thomas, Kenny Berry, Damien Berry, Travis Benjamin;

Florida State: Kelvin Benjamin, Jesse Hester, Anquan Boldin, Antone Smith;

Ohio State: Santonio Holmes and Albert Dukes;

Brad Banks (Iowa), Alphonso Smith (Wake Forest), Nu'Keese Richardson (Tennessee), Cre'Von LeBlanc (FAU), Will Likely (Maryland), Rickey Jackson (Pitt). And of course there are more, like Andrew Waters, who went to smaller schools.

I'm no scouring the internet for any more names, as I'm not interested in an argument. You're wrong and that's it.
You have no idea how things worked in the Glades for decades. You’re a young jit who is scouring the internet for information. I know who was giving parents jobs and paying players in Pahokee and the Glades for years.

Advertisement
Thanks for the responses. I think alot of it is the transfer culture and i don't mean school to school only but specifically south to Broward and Dade. Dwyer was a serious team for years and years. You barely hear about them now. I know the area pretty well. Just not the football dynamics. Maybe there is a vacuum for someone to do some serious coverage of Palm Beach recruiting. Its too much talent up here to stay down forever though, specifically if the big schools get some serious coaches in.

As for Belle Glade, definitely think the economic decline of the area really decimated the population, forced to move to get new opportunities.

I live in Plantation now but grew up in West Palm Beach and went to high school in Riviera Beach. I have not followed recruiting in the area closely in a long time.

However, @RattlerCane305's post above is correct, and I will add a few things here.

Coach Daniels can't be replaced at Dwyer, end of story. Riviera Beach has an INSANE concentration of good players, but just by virtue of district boundaries, they are divided between D Block, Suncoast, Gardens, and Lakes. In a given year, you will also see 3-4 Riviera Beach kids on the roster at Newman and a couple at Benjamin (Newman is a Catholic school and Benjamin is non-parochial private).

Transfer culture has long been common in Palm Beach County. It used to be common for kids from further east to transfer to GC (Damien Berry, Jessie Hester Jr, several RPB kids). There have been far fewer transfers to GC in recent years, and far more transfers out. I don't know if that's an issue of the coaches, but it sure as **** didn't happen in the late 90s, 00s, and early 2010s under Snead, Bueno, Hester, and Blackmon.

Oxbridge, a relatively new private school (Travis Homer), folded its program in recent years amidst allegations of misconduct, but is now restarting again. That could be interesting.

Palm Beach County has always been divided territory in terms of recruiting. Miami has never owned it, but neither have FSU or UF. I don't see that changing. that's also part of the reason you don't know the payers as well.

All of this being said, I don't think that the culture of the area puts as much emphasis on high school football as in the past (I graduated high school in 05, for reference). There may be others who disagree with this sentiment.

@Liberty City El is also familiar with the Riviera Beach area in particular and maybe can shed some additional detail/light on what I am saying.
Perfectly said.

PB has suffered from a mass of transfers, usually the best kids in PB transfer to STA, AH, DFB, & have gone further South to Pompano area schools & even Dillard, a lot of the talent has been placed in Boyton too, but even a kid like Markevious Brown transferred from Pahokee to IMG.

The top school is still Atlantic, they produce the most talent & have relatively kept the most talent in home, but even Atlantic has had transfers to Deerfield & other Broward schools. PBC & PBG were two schools that had a very good run of producing annual D1 talent, but again, mass transfers depleted their talent pool. If there are any kids from Seminole Ridge, Santaluces or Suncoast with any talent they will almost always transfer to somewhere else in PB or Broward.

As has been stated in this thread already, the Treasure Coast areas North of PB have Leary’s been producing really good talent, from Vero, Fort Pierce & Port St. Lucie, they’ve had some legit ballers & NFL players. Vero Beach, Fort Pierce Westwood & St. Lucie West Centennial have produced some really good players recently, including 5-star Safety Kamari Wilson & James Monds III in the 22 class & we got Jahfari Harvey from Vero (although he was originally a John Carroll kid) & obviously Pat Bethel.

As far as Glades Central & Pahokee, aside from transfers, a lot of talented kids from there have just left the area because their families have moved.

Last edited:
Perfectly said.

PB has suffered from a mass of transfers, usually the best kids in PB transfer to STA, AH, DFB, & have gone further South to Pompano area schools & even Dillard, a lot of the talent has been placed in Boyton too, but even a kid like Markevious Brown transferred from Pahokee to IMG.

The top school is still Atlantic, they produce the most talent & have relatively kept the most talent in home, but even Atlantic has had transfers to Deerfield & other Broward schools. PBC & PBG were two schools that had a very good run of producing annual D1 talent, but again, mass transfers depleted their talent pool. If there are any kids from Seminole Ridge, Santaluces or Suncoast with any talent they will almost always transfer to somewhere else in PB or Broward.

As has been stated in this thread already, the Treasure Coast areas North of PB have Leary’s been producing really good talent, from Vero, Fort Pierce & Port St. Lucie, they’ve had some legit ballers & NFL players. Vero Beach, Fort Pierce Westwood & St. Lucie West Centennial have produced some really good players recently, including 5-star Safety Kamari Wilson & James Monds III in the 22 class & we got Jahfari Harvey from Vero (although he was originally a John Carroll kid) & obviously Pat Bethel.

As far as Glades Central & Pahokee, aside from transfers, a lot of talented kids from there have just left the area because their families have moved.
To add something else, as is common for Florida natives, we tend to move further north in the state in order to recreate the Florida of our youth as the state has become more crowded.

St. Lucie County in particular is full of Palm Beach County refugees, and that is going to lend itself to a lot of good players (until it too, becomes too crowded, of course).

Vero Beach has been a very good program for decades (see Kenny Holmes). Sebastian River was good almost instantly after it opened, too.

Advertisement
Back