Palm Beach County

Thanks for the responses. I think alot of it is the transfer culture and i don't mean school to school only but specifically south to Broward and Dade. Dwyer was a serious team for years and years. You barely hear about them now. I know the area pretty well. Just not the football dynamics. Maybe there is a vacuum for someone to do some serious coverage of Palm Beach recruiting. Its too much talent up here to stay down forever though, specifically if the big schools get some serious coaches in.

As for Belle Glade, definitely think the economic decline of the area really decimated the population, forced to move to get new opportunities.
The population of Belle Glade has increased since 2010, but it's a place that people leave when they can. It's always been poor as ****. Belle Glade is the roughest place I've ever seen in this country, and it's not even close (I've been to 42 states).

Advertisement
Thanks for the responses. I think alot of it is the transfer culture and i don't mean school to school only but specifically south to Broward and Dade. Dwyer was a serious team for years and years. You barely hear about them now. I know the area pretty well. Just not the football dynamics. Maybe there is a vacuum for someone to do some serious coverage of Palm Beach recruiting. Its too much talent up here to stay down forever though, specifically if the big schools get some serious coaches in.

As for Belle Glade, definitely think the economic decline of the area really decimated the population, forced to move to get new opportunities.
One of the really unfortunate things about transfer culture is that the parents of the transfers (who are generally the best players) don't become attached to a single program. That lack of attachment, in turn, means they don't continue to show up for games, join booster clubs, donate, and work with the program going forward.

It's no coincidence that STA, Lakeland, Armwood, Apopka, Bolles, and TC are consistent winners, rather than having one or two outstanding teams a decade: they have a booster culture and generational attachment. Daniels made that a thing at D Block, but he's gone now.

Glades Central had it, too, but Belle Glade is just too **** depressing for people to stick around. You're just so limited in a city like that.

I live in Plantation now but grew up in West Palm Beach and went to high school in Riviera Beach. I have not followed recruiting in the area closely in a long time.

However, @RattlerCane305's post above is correct, and I will add a few things here.

Coach Daniels can't be replaced at Dwyer, end of story. Riviera Beach has an INSANE concentration of good players, but just by virtue of district boundaries, they are divided between D Block, Suncoast, Gardens, and Lakes. In a given year, you will also see 3-4 Riviera Beach kids on the roster at Newman and a couple at Benjamin (Newman is a Catholic school and Benjamin is non-parochial private).

Transfer culture has long been common in Palm Beach County. It used to be common for kids from further east to transfer to GC (Damien Berry, Jessie Hester Jr, several RPB kids). There have been far fewer transfers to GC in recent years, and far more transfers out. I don't know if that's an issue of the coaches, but it sure as **** didn't happen in the late 90s, 00s, and early 2010s under Snead, Bueno, Hester, and Blackmon.

Oxbridge, a relatively new private school (Travis Homer), folded its program in recent years amidst allegations of misconduct, but is now restarting again. That could be interesting.

Palm Beach County has always been divided territory in terms of recruiting. Miami has never owned it, but neither have FSU or UF. I don't see that changing. that's also part of the reason you don't know the payers as well.

All of this being said, I don't think that the culture of the area puts as much emphasis on high school football as in the past (I graduated high school in 05, for reference). There may be others who disagree with this sentiment.

@Liberty City El is also familiar with the Riviera Beach area in particular and maybe can shed some additional detail/light on what I am saying.
The talent in Riviera Beach isn’t what it used to be…..that’s hurting Northern Palm Beach County football.

Football has been feeling down in palm beach as a whole. And as a resident I can tell you that palm beach is free game when it comes to recruiting. Went to school with 5 players 4 start that turned D-1 and only one went to Miami. There’s a lot of people living here who are fans of either fsu or uf. so whenever a big name pops up in the county, I almost always expect them to go elsewhere. We did get the O-line from central last year but I think UM can do a whole lot better with taking this county back.

Football has been feeling down in palm beach as a whole. And as a resident I can tell you that palm beach is free game when it comes to recruiting. Went to school with 5 players 4 start that turned D-1 and only one went to Miami. There’s a lot of people living here who are fans of either fsu or uf. so whenever a big name pops up in the county, I almost always expect them to go elsewhere. We did get the O-line from central last year but I think UM can do a whole lot better with taking this county back.
Yeah its a free for all. Richards is the best we had in Iong while. I be hating to go to bars and its infested with UF, FSU and SEC school fans. Be throwing that U on them.

Advertisement
there’s a lot of people living here who are fans of either fsu or uf

vomit GIF

Why is that?

I get Palm Beach is a heavily populated county and there are a good many FSU and UF alums down there, but I always assumed West Palm, Boca, Boynton Beach and so on would still lean heavily toward UM at the end of the day.

You've got to travel quite a distance outside Gainesville or Tallahassee before there's some semblance of a split fan base (and I'm aware small town and rural areas are typically much more monolithic).

Just can't quite wrap my head around it. Not like Turds or Holes have been worth a crap lately, either.

Don't the Canes get more coverage in the Palm Beach Post than the ****** twins from way up here in North Florida?

Last edited:
vomit GIF

Why is that?

I get Palm Beach is a heavily populated county and there are a good many FSU and UF alums down there, but I always assumed West Palm, Boca, Boynton Beach and so on would still lean heavily toward UM at the end of the day.

You've got get quite a distance outside Gainesville or Tallahassee before there's some semblance of a split fan base (and I'm aware small town and rural areas are typically much more monolithic).

Just can't quite wrap my head around it. Not like Turds or Holes have been worth a crap lately, either.

Don't the Canes get more coverage in the Palm Beach Post than the ****** twins from way up here in North Florida?
Jack sent kids from Dwyer away from Miami — and was probably right to do so. Otherwise, eastern PBC has always been wide open. If you go back to the old school glory years, the Big Ten plucked a ton of elite prospects like Richard Relford and Ant Carter. glades/pahokee have been run by a bunch of Gator families, so they had a lot of sway with local players in the muck.

Advertisement
vomit GIF

Why is that?

You've got get quite a distance outside Gainesville or Tallahassee before there's some semblance of a split fan base (and I'm aware small town and rural areas are typically much more monolithic).

vomit GIF

Why is that?

You have to be here to see it for yourself. Most of my friends root for the opps. The stores like target, Walmart, Marshall, Ross etc have a lot of uf/fsu, and little to no UM gear. It just doesn’t feel like the canes have a big presence around here. And it doesn’t help when the school that had the best talent in the county (Dwyer) sent players away.

vomit GIF

Why is that?

West Palm Beach is a divided city in terms of fan support. By the time you hit Jupiter, it's very clearly Gator Country.

Advertisement
vomit GIF

Why is that?

i'm a life long hurricane fan, but went to uf ... you'd be shocked how many people from south florida come to gainesville for school and are diehard gators (i'm sure the same in tally) ...

Advertisement
vomit GIF

Why is that?

I live in Plantation (middle of Broward) now and the Canes are clearly dominant in terms of fan support here.

The population of Belle Glade has increased since 2010, but it's a place that people leave when they can. It's always been poor as ****. Belle Glade is the roughest place I've ever seen in this country, and it's not even close (I've been to 42 states).
Im from Jamaica and whne i went to belle glade it was the first time i seen somewhere that reminded of some of the real mud. The area
vomit GIF

Why is that?

Miami has alot of room to grow the fan base in south Florida. Their visibility even West Palm justand hour north is very bad. No way rat lizards 4 hours away and Free shoes further should ve even close with us. The admin has relied on just being the U for too long.

One of the really unfortunate things about transfer culture is that the parents of the transfers (who are generally the best players) don't become attached to a single program. That lack of attachment, in turn, means they don't continue to show up for games, join booster clubs, donate, and work with the program going forward.

It's no coincidence that STA, Lakeland, Armwood, Apopka, Bolles, and TC are consistent winners, rather than having one or two outstanding teams a decade: they have a booster culture and generational attachment. Daniels made that a thing at D Block, but he's gone now.

Glades Central had it, too, but Belle Glade is just too **** depressing for people to stick around. You're just so limited in a city like that.
I remember the muck bowl. City would shut down. I went to lakes 01-04. I remember Hester at Suncoast, Antoine Smith at Pahokee. Dwyer was a monster!!

Remember one year at the D-Hop tournament. Hester heard I was fast, we were all racing in the parking lot. He had just race my boy shemar and smoke him. I was barely faster than shemar. I was like " I good dawg you got it" lol.

Advertisement
Back