Pack back

Advertisement
one of my favorite players here ever. Excited for him to lead the team to go further than last year’s epic run. I think Gabe Vincent and Grant Williams are two archetypes who Pack and Omier could mold their pro careers after.

I like LCE’s Royce O Neale comparison for Cleveland. Devin Vassell is another trajectory I could see for him.

Our starting FIVE , Final Four material, I love our rankings I’ll take it .
In my opinion we’ll make an early run to top 10 and hang around there rest of the season.
We’re a seasoned battle hardened team everything is for the taking no doubt.

GOCANES

Not crazy.
Excited Happy Birthday GIF

Wonder what the NBA told him he needed to work on (think he'd have been a 2nd Round pick this go-round, so they like him already).

My observation is he needs a quick move to get open when his catch and shoot opportunity gets closed out by a sticky defense. Needs a quick first step to shake himself free. He's got a ton of range so ... maybe a step-back move a la Jack McClinton. Jack successfully used that to free himself so many times.

Other than that, I'm sure the NBA thinks he might be a tweener position-wise. Not really a PG, but not nearly big enough to play the 2.

Advertisement
Wonder what the NBA told him he needed to work on (think he'd have been a 2nd Round pick this go-round, so they like him already).

My observation is he needs a quick move to get open when his catch and shoot opportunity gets closed out by a sticky defense. Needs a quick first step to shake himself free. He's got a ton of range so ... maybe a step-back move a la Jack McClinton. Jack successfully used that to free himself so many times.

Other than that, I'm sure the NBA thinks he might be a tweener position-wise. Not really a PG, but not nearly big enough to play the 2.
I tihnk your last line is the issue. Pack will never be big enough or athletic enough to guard 2’s in the NBA. So he will have to become a shoot first PG this year, which thanks to Steph Curry, is an actual thing now in the NBA. But that means also leading the team in assists and “running” the team. Last year Wong really ran the team in half-court offense. Pack needs to be that guy, IMO. And Joseph is the player who buys Pack some minutes off ball when we need him to just catch and shoot.

I tihnk your last line is the issue. Pack will never be big enough or athletic enough to guard 2’s in the NBA. So he will have to become a shoot first PG this year, which thanks to Steph Curry, is an actual thing now in the NBA. But that means also leading the team in assists and “running” the team. Last year Wong really ran the team in half-court offense. Pack needs to be that guy, IMO. And Joseph is the player who buys Pack some minutes off ball when we need him to just catch and shoot.
With Pack at PG, who do you see on the current roster competing to start at the 2?

I wanted to answer @hotshot question with Wooga but I think you are right that George looks more natural as a secondary ball handler, whereas Wooga seems like he is in an ideal role running the baseline and always being in attack mode.
Now we will need to know if L is willing to trust a freshman in that position.

Jospeh and Pack together in the backcourt makes us awfully small. It can work for a few minutes but I can’t see that pairing working to start and close games.

Advertisement
I wanted to answer @hotshot question with Wooga but I think you are right that George looks more natural as a secondary ball handler, whereas Wooga seems like he is in an ideal role running the baseline and always being in attack mode.

Jospeh and Pack together in the backcourt makes us awfully small. It can work for a few minutes but I can’t see that pairing working to start and close games.
I like Gables answer of George. I know Wooga is listed as a Guard but ... he doesn't have the handle to play the 2. Best leave him where he was last season, hitting corner jumpers and short pull-ups. Joseph also should stay in the backup role he had last season.

Jakai or Watson as a 2? They both look a little stiff to me (admittedly, haven seen much of either) to play that position and their shooting capability is very much an unknown.

I like Gables answer of George. I know Wooga is listed as a Guard but ... he doesn't have the handle to play the 2. Best leave him where he was last season, hitting corner jumpers and short pull-ups. Joseph also should stay in the backup role he had last season.

Jakai or Watson as a 2? They both look a little stiff to me (admittedly, haven seen much of either) to play that position and their shooting capability is very much an unknown.
I think of Watson as a 3 but admittedly this is from his high school work. With him, Jakai and even Casey, it’s really hard to know what they are right now, or will be 6 months from now. I keep trying to remind myself how well this staff develops and how we did not expect Wooga to contribute last season based on what he showed his freshman season. And how Miller went from 4th/5th option In 2022 to 1st/2nd option in 2023.

Joseph and Pack (and Wong) were together on the floor a lot at the end of games last season, before Wooga found his footing. Joseph plays bigger than he is.

Pack and Joseph were on the court together plenty this year.

And what I don't get is how people keep posting is this archaic idea that we need players to fit a certain physical mold. If these past 2 years have shown anything, it's that other teams really struggle to match our small lineups.

Joseph
Pack
Wooga
Cleveland
Omier

That lineup should be one of the best in the country. We still really need another rotation caliber transfer, but I'm pretty excited about our likely starters

Advertisement
Pack and Joseph were on the court together plenty this year.

And what I don't get is how people keep posting is this archaic idea that we need players to fit a certain physical mold. If these past 2 years have shown anything, it's that other teams really struggle to match our small lineups.

Joseph
Pack
Wooga
Cleveland
Omier

That lineup should be one of the best in the country. We still really need another rotation caliber transfer, but I'm pretty excited about our likely starters
You maybe right. It would not work on the NBA level wherein coaches hunt matchups, but the college game is not as matchup driven and maybe we could get away with it for long stretches. I’m not a fan of 2 small guards, though Joseph does play bigger than his height As @ALLoverCANE noted.
If I was a coach I would target a team with 2 small guards, especially if I had a guard who I could use on the low block, like a Jalen Brunson.

Pack needs to show the league he can play the 1. He has no future at the 2 at the next level.

Benz is better as a first off the bench option.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back