Overrated and underrated CFB coaches

In what world is David Shaw overrated???

86-31 for his career, 3 Pac-12 titles, 5 North Division titles, 5 Bowl wins, all while having the most difficulty in recruiting due to the stringent academic requirements of Stanford. You do realize that Stanford gives out the least amount of athletic scholarships in Football per year than any other program in the nation right?

The man hasn't had single losing season in his entire career as a HC until this year while literally having 4 starting Offensive linemen out for the season, 2 starting LB's, their Punter & both their QB's being injured throughout most of the season.
if you continue to know what you’re posting about, I’ll have to report you to the moderators. This is canes insight and facts are not a valid argument. Respectfully, make angry hateful posts or leave. We don’t want your kind here. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Shaw is a MAN. Shaw is a very good coach. Shaw should be in the Pro’s imho. I think he’d make a great head coach for my Chicago Bears!!!!!

Advertisement
9C4DFBB0-DC5A-4D4C-A1E0-1C31E6606F0B.gif

Brian Kelly has gotta be #1 most overrated, Franklin is #2 imo.

Underrated I'm gonna say Lance Leipold at Buffalo. This year hasn't been great for him but I think he'll get them back to being respectively good next year.

86-31 for his career, 3 Pac-12 titles, 5 North Division titles, 5 Bowl wins, all while having the most difficulty in recruiting due to the stringent academic requirements of Stanford. You do realize that Stanford gives out the least amount of athletic scholarships in Football per year than any other program in the nation right?

The man hasn't had single losing season in his entire career as a HC until this year while literally having 4 starting Offensive linemen out for the season, 2 starting LB's, their Punter & both their QB's being injured throughout most of the season.
First, I think he's a solid, if not, really good coach. Having said that, I still think he's overrated. I often hear how he's a top 5 coach in ALL of college football. I just don't see it. Harbaugh did a ridiculous job building that team up from a dumpster fire and he took them to their greatest (and to be fair, probably unsustainable) heights. I think Shaw gets some credit for that but the team has slowly regressed since he took over even though he was gifted Andrew Luck and a really good team to start with.

All that other stuff you mentioned I admittedly wasn't aware of (injuries, #scholarships). Do they honestly have less scholarships? I've never heard that. I'm a casual fan so you know more about this stuff than me.

Go Ravens

First, I think he's a solid, if not, really good coach. Having said that, I still think he's overrated. I often hear how he's a top 5 coach in ALL of college football. I just don't see it. Harbaugh did a ridiculous job building that team up from a dumpster fire and he took them to their greatest (and to be fair, probably unsustainable) heights. I think Shaw gets some credit for that but the team has slowly regressed since he took over even though he was gifted Andrew Luck and a really good team to start with.

All that other stuff you mentioned I admittedly wasn't aware of (injuries, #scholarships). Do they honestly have less scholarships? I've never heard that. I'm a casual fan so you know more about this stuff than me.

Go Ravens
Harbaugh gets so much credit for "building" Stanford, but people seem to forget Stanford wasn't some Podunk program that had never won before him. They had had success in the Bill Walsh & Tyrone Willingham eras as well.

Also, Harbaugh was only at Stanford for 4 years, he had 2 winning seasons, 8-5 & 12-1. People unfairly think all of David Shaw's success is due to Harbaugh, but Shaw has been at Stanford for 9 years, which is whole 5 years longer than Harbaugh. He even went 12-2 in 2015 a team that didn't have a single Harbaugh recruit on the roster.

And yes Stanford has the most stringent academic requirements of any team in D1 Football & their scholarship numbers are the lowest in the nation because of it. They only doled 74 offers in the 2019 class, that's extremely low compared to every other program.

I don't think anyone has ever said that Shaw was a top 5 coach, people give him credit for having Stanford as a winning program despite that huge limitations he has to deal with. He's a terrific coach who does a lot with way less than most, he's far from overrated.

Advertisement
David Shaw- overrated
Chris Peterson- down year but still underrated

If you think that David Shaw is overrated, then you know little about college football. Shaw is coaching at a school in which you have SIGNIFICANT institutional obstacles, yet he's won 10 or more games 5 times in his tenure. Did I mention that he has 2 nine win seasons mixed in there as well? This is his worst team, and there's a good chance they'll win 7-8 games. Just for some historical context: Before Shaw, Stanford had won 10 or more games on three occasions since 1940. Stanford is a school that you have to reload at some point, and this is that year.

Go Ravens

Casual fans shouldn't shoot their mouths off about things they know nothing about. Shaw has kept them at a 9-10 win level throughout his tenure, which at Stanford is unprecedented. They aren't built to be 11-2 year after year, going 11-2 once at Stanford is historic, doing it multiple times is insane. They've NEVER been this decent, for this long of a period. Correction, since WWII. The last time they were this good for this long, period, they had a coach by the name of POP WARNER.

Rule of thumb: Before you type something out, SAY IT OUT LOUD. That will save you from posting things that are flat out wrong. If Shaw was to hit the market, or show signs of wanting to leave Stanford, he'd be snatched up by an NFL franchise or major program within minutes.

Casual fans shouldn't shoot their mouths off about things they know nothing about. Shaw has kept them at a 9-10 win level throughout his tenure, which at Stanford is unprecedented. They aren't built to be 11-2 year after year, going 11-2 once at Stanford is historic, doing it multiple times is insane. They've NEVER been this decent, for this long of a period. Correction, since WWII. The last time they were this good for this long, period, they had a coach by the name of POP WARNER.

Rule of thumb: Before you type something out, SAY IT OUT LOUD. That will save you from posting things that are flat out wrong. If Shaw was to hit the market, or show signs of wanting to leave Stanford, he'd be snatched up by an NFL franchise or major program within minutes.
Jesus Christ, I said he wasn't a top 5 coach which I literally just explained. I didn't say he was some piece of ****. You mentioned they had won 10 games or more a few times in the past 40 years.... and when was the last time Stanford did it? Literally the year before he took over the team (when they had 12 wins). Are you saying he IS a top 5 college coach? Because that's all I claimed he wasn't (how crazy of me to say I know). Also, what are your credentials since you apparently know everything about football?

this is CIS.... in this world every irrational thought is rationalized

Advertisement
For the life of me I can't understand why Shaw is not making NFL money...I can understand avoiding Davis' Raiders and Spanos' Chargers out on the coast, but Arizona or Denver not getting him is why those franchises are mired in mediocrity right now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back