Over-exposure to campus

PennCane

Recruit
This could very well be a completely stupid theory, but I wonder sometimes about recruits being over exposed to campus. What I mean by that is that often we have recruits visit campus 4-5 times to see practices or coaches on campus in the span of just a few months. The first time they visit it is a whole new exciting experience visiting a college campus for the first time. However the more they visit, the more the "shine" and "excitement" of a new campus wears off and it doesn't excite them anymore. Then they go out of state to visit an SEC school one time, and they get that new campus excitement and shine again, because it's usually one of the only times they are able to visit an out of state school. So when they make a decision the factor of that excitement is still in their heads from the non-hometown school because they only visited it one or two times, whereas UM seems "familiar" and not as exciting. Just a theory. It seems to affect recruits who are more about attention than substance, as they don't really look deep into the campus or school to really see that we offer a better package, they just go off of their excitement about a new place

Advertisement
I’ve wondered the same. Proximity is an advantage, and we see that with born Canes like Duke and Bandy. However, I don’t disagree with your take. I think some kids probably do get bored by Miami cuz they can visit whenever the want, and they’ve seen it for years.

This is actually an interesting theory and probably has some legs. Our goal is to get these kids on campus as much as possible to make them feel at home and comfortable which is great. But at the same time, doing the same things every time on these "informal visits" could get stale. I really think we need paradise to get here as soon as possible because that is an event most schools can't replicate.

The more you get these guys on campus the better. You expose them to the coaches, you expose them to their potential teammates, you expose them to campus life, and you expose them to culture. Sure, some kids will make multiple visits only to sign elsewhere, but I honestly don't think there is such a thing as overexposure to the program.

You may be correct, though, that some of the impressionable guys who are more style/attention over substance may be more likely to be swayed. But the kids who want a real family atmosphere or want to make an informed decision will be well served. But overall, I would rather err on the side of overexposure than underexposure.

Advertisement
So are you saying this only happens to us and not every P5 school? Not to say you're wrong but if that's the case it's not only happening to us.

We are the school close to South Florida. We are the only school that this happens to for South Florida kids. Sure for all universities this happens with the recruits that live nearby, but South Florida is the recruiting hotbed. The amount and quality of D1 players in South Florida is much greater than in Gainesville for example. Or Pennsylvania for Penn State, etc. Schools like USC experience this like us.

But while for some visiting our campus constantly takes away from the mystic and grandeur, for others it really helps. It just depends.

If they're being over exposed during recruitment then what happens when they're on campus permanently?

There's a real plus of playing hard to get in life. Everyone wants what they can't have. Maybe UM should make a "special invitation" of some sort to get to visit unofficially. That could make all the kids want the invitation and show it off when they get it.

Advertisement
In regards to 2019, an issue is that we get a lot of kids on campus during February-March but they don’t commit. Then they immediately visit other schools and don’t feel as compelled to visit Umiami again during late March/April. We lose all of our momentum. This class is shaping up to be similar to the 2017 class talent wise

In regards to 2019, an issue is that we get a lot of kids on campus during February-March but they don’t commit. Then they immediately visit other schools and don’t feel as compelled to visit Umiami again during late March/April. We lose all of our momentum. This class is shaping up to be similar to the 2017 class talent wise

Wow, we've really reached absurd levels at this point. Now we have over-exposure questions happening. We currently have the 7th most ESPN 300 players signed in the country. Yes, Ladson is someone we all wanted but everyone knew we were working from behind & if we were ever going to get him it would late in the process. All the other commits were simply players on the board, but by no means backbreaking losses.

Coach contact is limited to players UNLESS the kids take these unnoficial visits. Sorry. This is an advantage not a negative. The problem is we are playing catch up to other school facilities. Period.

Advertisement
There's a real plus of playing hard to get in life. Everyone wants what they can't have. Maybe UM should make a "special invitation" of some sort to get to visit unofficially. That could make all the kids want the invitation and show it off when they get it.

Nah, if we did that, we'd get dogged for not offering/inviting early enough. It's a tails I win, heads you lose situation.

Show me a hotty and I'll show you a dude who's tired of her.

Advertisement
2017 was a solid very good class but we need to do better than that moving forward.

I think it's more about the "down" feeling right now around the program in terms of social media exposure. Too much negative stuff with all the decommitment and very little positive. It was great to hear about all the interest etc. back in February and march. Hopefully we can get one or two of those guys who we believe are going to commit to do it sooner rather than later. I think it's really important to keep the recruits positive and interested with some good news. Gives other coaches less to negative -recruit us with, too. The bad part about the February-march visits were kids wanted to commit that were not at the top of our board - we had to put them off which is never positive, I don't care how nicely its put. I get it's the business of recruiting but it doesn't make it any easier for the kid who thinks he has an offer. iDK

This weekend is the rest of the Spring Games - Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Nebraska. Should be interesting to see who goes where and if we get anyone on campus for our last scrimmage and Alumni day.

The other thing I really hope is that the couple of others we think may possibly be wavering don't decommit this week!

This could very well be a completely stupid theory, but I wonder sometimes about recruits being over exposed to campus. What I mean by that is that often we have recruits visit campus 4-5 times to see practices or coaches on campus in the span of just a few months. The first time they visit it is a whole new exciting experience visiting a college campus for the first time. However the more they visit, the more the "shine" and "excitement" of a new campus wears off and it doesn't excite them anymore. Then they go out of state to visit an SEC school one time, and they get that new campus excitement and shine again, because it's usually one of the only times they are able to visit an out of state school. So when they make a decision the factor of that excitement is still in their heads from the non-hometown school because they only visited it one or two times, whereas UM seems "familiar" and not as exciting. Just a theory. It seems to affect recruits who are more about attention than substance, as they don't really look deep into the campus or school to really see that we offer a better package, they just go off of their excitement about a new place
They visit 4-5 times preaching of love , team ,family caring warmth mom and dad in love again awesome , then say oh I'm not sure now more comfortable at a one time visit somewhere else. I also was picking up on the head over heals love affair with the U in every way possible then boom gone.

Yes this is food for thought about teenagers whom know everything , nice post.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back