Our starting DB’s now

And apparently LT at SDE. Should again be a whole bunch of waves we can send across the DL which hopefully equates to more TFL and sacks. But I’d be amiss if I didn’t say I cringe watching wave after wave of LB’s hit the wrong gap or whiff on a tackle. I’m praying they’re the most improved group in 2021 - they should be provided we let some of the talent at the position play over seniority

Advertisement
Having TRob come in with no loyalties to anyone will ensure the best players play in that secondary. That’s what I’m most excited about. No more seeing GHall game after game have zero impact. AWill, KK and JW and BB are there now to snatch his PT. Same goes for Ivey.

Advertisement
Yeah what’s with the Frierson hate? I saw nothing from KSmith (besides the fact he looks the part in his uniform) that leads me to believe he’s overtaking Gil this year. I think KSmith was actually a tad bit overrated on this board last season. But I’m excited to see how he develops with a full year under his belt.

Field CB - Tyrique Stevenson/ Malik Curtis
Nickel CB - Te’Cory Couch/ Marcus Clarke
Boundary CB - Al Blades/DJ Ivey/ Isaiah Dunson

Or

Field CB - Tyrique Stevenson/ Al Blades
Nickel CB - Marcus Clarke/ Malik Curtis
Boundary CB - Te’Cory Couch/DJ Ivey/ Isaiah Dunson

Or

Field CB - Te’Cory Couch/Al Blades
Nickel CB - Marcus Clarke/ Malik Curtis
Boundary CB - Tyrique Stevenson/ DJ Ivey/ Isaiah Dunson

Couch can play outside at either Field or Boundary, but I think he could play Nickel if the plan is to keep Rique & Blades outside. I also think Clarke has potential to play Field as well too, but don’t think he’ll play at Field this year, maybe down the line.

I don’t think TRob will necessarily put those guys at the spots where I have them at, I just listed Curtis as backup Field in the first scenario because depending on what they do with Couch we essentially have 3 Boundary corners & 3 Nickels. But the point was to lay out at least 3 different possibilities depending on how TRob evals this group & where he feels most comfortable playing these guys at.

There’s some good potential with Couch & Clarke, but aside from them the cupboard was left pretty bare, this CB group gonna need a lot of development in Spring/Summer/Fall. It was pivotal to land Tyrique & in all honesty I’d be trying to find another CB out the Portal too, but I don’t think that happens.

But anyways, at Safety it could get interesting, with all 3 upperclassmen coming back & adding in 2 talented incoming Frosh with JW & Kinchens, plus having the 4 TF’s from last year in Tae Williams, Jalen Harrell (who I think will be the surprise of this group), Keyshawn Washington & Brian Balom, TRob has a pretty steep Safety room to work with & has every style of Safety on both ends of the spectrum at his disposal. I assume Bolden & Hall will start, especially if Manny will more than likely be making the final call on the Depth chart, but we’d be doing ourselves a major disservice if we had players like JW, Jojo (Kinchens), Harrell sitting on the bench all year.

And before you even ask, No I don’t think Tae Williams is a CB & considering he was injured last year we have to wait to see how he’s recovered from that come Spring ball. However, we do have 9 Safeties & 7 Corners, assuming no one hits the Portal between Spring & Fall camp, I can possibly see one of the Safeties being moved to CB to just to even out the DB rooms numbers wise & if that were to happen, I get why most would elect Tae Williams to be the S that could potentially get moved to CB. Although, I can’t really think of any of the Safeties moving to CB, they’re all pretty much just pure S’s. Either way, we’ll have a pretty crowded Secondary with a bunch of guys who are kind of stuck at their position & not really able to move to a new spot.

With all of that said:

FS - Gurvan Hall/ Avantae Williams/ Keyshawn Washington/ Kamren Kinchens
Rover - Bubba Bolden/ Amari Carter/ Jalen Harrell/James Williams/ Brian Balom

Striker - Gilbert Frierson/Keontra Smith/Chase Smith (also wouldn’t be shocked to see Harrell get moved to STK)

Advertisement
Something tells me they’ll do better playing less zone and they might actually start to turn to look for the ball.

Between this year's class and last year's, boat load of defensive talent to work with. For any of you penciling in James Williams as a starter on this defense than you all haven't been paying attention to how things have worked around here. 0 chance he starts.

Couch will be in the slot and Blades will start. No way Blades gets carved up the way Couch was against Ok. St.

Advertisement
Back