Our Son......

View as article
Per my boy CaneDynasty, here's the latest update my wife did.

http://cartersblogzilla.blogspot.com/?m=0

WOW! It's been forever since I've done a post. I made Carter stop long enough to take a recent pic for this update.Thankfully, not much has changed with Carter, except that he continues to thrive. I feel so outrageously blessed with how he's progressed. Not every family has been this lucky with transplant and we continue to try to enjoy each day he's blessed with good health. He looks a lot different these days. His hair is coming back, but he's also getting a lot of new hair in new places as you can see from the picture above.

Now for the technical stuff. His marrow is working great and all of his counts are at a normal level. It's amazing that he has platelets now so if I accidentally hit him in the head with a basketball pass, I don't have to worry about him getting hurt worse than superficially. Phew! The new marrow has engrafted and Carter was at 90(something)% donor last time we checked. All of his levels are going back to normal. He is taking an antibiotic every night through his line which you can see in the pic above. That little white thing under his shirt is his dressing that covers it. He gets an antibiotic as well as fluids throughout the night. He also takes meds three times a day. He does great with everything, but about once a month he will get a little upset about having to go to the doctor, be sick, etc. I always try to remind him that even though things are a little different for us these days, he is on the road to recovery and hopefully by summer will be living almost normally.

The next milestone for us is day +180. At that point they will start to wean him off of some of his meds to see how well his body will function and accept things by themselves. From there they will walk him back up to a normal immune system and eventually start giving him his immunizations again. He is allowed right now to be around friends and family as long as no one is sick. We've gone to waffle house, and he's gone on a few brief outings here and there. Taking care of a post BMT kid is a balance between keeping them safe and keeping them sane. No kid wants to feel like they are different than the others.

Carter has been spending a lot of time reading and playing basketball. Though he informed me that his favorite sport and his dream is still to play football. He also has been playing a lot of super smash brothers, hanging out with friends and family, and playing with his legos. Thanks to everyone who has reached out and continues to send love and prayers to our family as we walk through this crazy journey! We have met a few families at the hospital that are post BMT and it's been great to share experiences with them as well as offer them encouragement. For now we just try to live every day as normal as possible and enjoy the heck out of all the good reports we've been getting.

He's been balling a lot. I taught him the proper form of shooting the ball, and he's acquired quite the stroke from practicing. He's still working on his handles, using the left hand, and keeping his head up will dribbling, and especially on his defense. Being smaller and quicker, he should be a pick-pocket machine.

All in all, he's doing great as my wife stated. We'll be in Port St. Lucie visiting a certain someone and his family very soon, but Carter doesn't know it yet. He's been invited down by some special folks for hopefully a special day in roughly 6 weeks. Stay tuned.
Though he informed me that his favorite sport and his dream is still to play football.

That is great to hear! Can he play LB? LOL Seriously though keep up the great work! I know this post is 6 years old but it's great to hear that Carter was able to enjoy being a kid as much as was possible! God Bless!

Advertisement
Awesome, praise God. No lie I was spooked seeing this thread pop up after so many years, thanks for the update.
No prob. As of now, he's a normal teenager with nothing on the radar of concern.
Man; thanks for tapping in bro. I was just thinking bout u and Lil D like 2 days ago, no cap. Was like I hadn’t heard or seen u or my bro @reg for a minute. So very happy to hear u guys r doing well. But FML....all the little homies r grown ups now! Lol. Time waits for no one, so u gotta enjoy every second of it.
Appreciate you, and no prob. We certainly try to. Quality time is important.

Thanks for posting those pictures. I've been curious about how Carter has been doing lately. He has certainly grown up! He looks great! Happy and healthy. Praise the Lord!

Has Carter kept in touch with any of the players who were on the squad back then? Does he still talk to Duke? May God continue to bless you and your family!
Praise the Lord for sure, and he is.

Carter hasn't heard from anyone for maybe 3 or so years. Players or University.

Advertisement
Back