Our QB Recruiting

While this thread deteriorated rapidly, the answer is probably that QB recruiting is largely a crapshoot.

62.5% of 5 star QBs transferred since 2010. And when you look at success at the second school, maybe they just weren't that good to begin with. 5 star is supposed to be elite, right? So they should be studs at the next school if rankings are accurate, right? Especially as they should have an even better idea of what they are looking for.

https://247sports.com/Article/Five-...ering-rate-across-college-football-118425483/

To me, all you can do is

1. Get at least one guy each year that you really believe can start. Not a backup or project, but really a quality starter in your system.
2. Have a dedicated QB coach who understands the system you want to run and will stick around (can't have ongoing QB coach turnover).
3. Accept that you will lose, voluntarily or not, more than 1/3 of the guys you sign, if they can play.
4. Then cross your fu**ing fingers.

I figured there was a high transfer rate for highly touted guys, but, whoa.

I agree with all of your points. #2 and #4 might be the most important.

Advertisement
Our QB situation has been trash but name the school that has put out consistently good/great QBs in the last 20 yrs?

A valid point for sure. Who are the QB whisperersin college FB today? For a long time I know Tedford was seen as the guy.

So the narrative now is that with Malik graduating, Perry and Weldon transfer leaving us with only JW going into next year because the staff absolutely refuses to add another QB this cycle? I know Richts have their deficiencies but I doubt they would be ok with that. Still a bit early.

A better offensive line would help, no matter the QB. When was the last time we had an exceptional OL to protect the quarterback? This is not to say that we haven't been lacking in QB quality, we have, but the same could be said about our lack of OL quality, and without the protection QB's are always being rushed too quickly - and they're not opening up holes sufficiently and enough for our running backs. We not only have had a problem in QB recruiting, the same could be said about the OL (and also on the defensive line).

I know I’m preaching to the choir but we need new coaches at QB and OL. Either they are bad evaluators or bad developers. We won’t get them so until that happens we are going to be stuck in mediocrity unless we get lucky and end up with the next world beater at qb despite our terrible evaluations.

Advertisement
So the narrative now is that with Malik graduating, Perry and Weldon transfer leaving us with only JW going into next year because the staff absolutely refuses to add another QB this cycle? I know Richts have their deficiencies but I doubt they would be ok with that. Still a bit early.

We're going to take a QB and likely a JUCO and/or grad transfer too.

And you can
While this thread deteriorated rapidly, the answer is probably that QB recruiting is largely a crapshoot.

62.5% of 5 star QBs transferred since 2010. And when you look at success at the second school, maybe they just weren't that good to begin with. 5 star is supposed to be elite, right? So they should be studs at the next school if rankings are accurate, right? Especially as they should have an even better idea of what they are looking for.

https://247sports.com/Article/Five-...ering-rate-across-college-football-118425483/

To me, all you can do is

1. Get at least one guy each year that you really believe can start. Not a backup or project, but really a quality starter in your system.
2. Have a dedicated QB coach who understands the system you want to run and will stick around (can't have ongoing QB coach turnover).
3. Accept that you will lose, voluntarily or not, more than 1/3 of the guys you sign, if they can play.
4. Then cross your fu**ing fingers.
5. Set them up for success by making a plan for them graduate after their redshirt Sophomore season, so they can go to a D1 school and start without sitting out a year, and they can act as a back up until then. Best of both worlds that way.

And you can
5. Set them up for success by making a plan for them graduate after their redshirt Sophomore season, so they can go to a D1 school and start without sitting out a year, and they can act as a back up until then. Best of both worlds that way.
Next years QBs should be...

1. 4* (*So) Perry
2. 3* (*So) Weldon
3. 4* (*Fr) Williams
4. 3* (Fr) Good Player

Weldon should come back with the understanding that he's transferring at the end of the year, but should the starter get hurt, he's the back up plan, if not he can transfer, same goes for Perry. If you are a Redshirt So, and you are not starting or the immediate back up, you should, and I would help you transfer, but to do that, I have to take a good QB prospect every year.

Advertisement
Jon Richt is a horrible QB coach who can not develop QB’s and doesn’t have the resume to justify his position. The only reason he has his job is because of nepotism.

I believe the word is out there about him. Why would you want to be coached by this guy.

Who would want to be coached by Jon ******* Richt???????? Really. I do not think it is that hard to see the reason, recently, that we are getting no QB's

Jon Richt is a horrible QB coach who can not develop QB’s and doesn’t have the resume to justify his position. The only reason he has his job is because of nepotism.

I believe the word is out there about him. Why would you want to be coached by this guy.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
First of all, can we stop with the "sign every QB possible" narrative? You're only allowed 85 scholarships how many quarterbacks (you can only play one at a time) are you going to have sitting on your bench taking up a scholarship? Not everyone is Alabama who somehow manages to keep a proven QB starter around even though he lost his starting job. Most schools, even the top ranked ones, don't have QB depth because nobody wants to sign to a school to sit the bench. That's why you have a lot of Malik Rosier types as backups, even at the powerhouse programs.

You don't just chase stars. You find a QB who has attributes that fit your system and you try to sign him. Ideally, you'd like to at least offer two guys but you don't just offer any garbage QB because you're concerned about 3rd string depth. That's how Miami got stuck with Preston Dewey, Gray Crow, Evan Shireffs, etc.

"What if one or even two of our current guys want to transfer?" Well that only makes Miami a more desirable place for one of the dozens of other QB transfers. QBs leaving a program is not something that only happens here. All over the country there are 4 and 5 star guys who didn't win the job at their particular school who are looking for a fresh start. If anything, the QB transfer market has become as important as recruiting high school QBs.

j12 was on one of the best college teams in america. Kayaa was a good find by Coley. Morris had a cannon for an arm but also one of the best local QBs for his class

A valid point for sure. Who are the QB whisperersin college FB today? For a long time I know Tedford was seen as the guy.

it was fisher, but even fisher recruited those 3 four-five star kids with only one left at FSU. the highly touted kid, henry, completely flopped at FSU (decided to party and not actually care about football).

Advertisement
Who would want to be coached by Jon ******* Richt???????? Really. I do not think it is that hard to see the reason, recently, that we are getting no QB's

he signed two four star kids in b2b years. whether or not perry pans out is a diff story. kids dont pan out all over the country esp at QB. OU usually always gets good QB recruits and their best one in forever ended up being a walk-on from TT.

i dont disagree about the richt jr stuff tho -- i think we should bring in a competent QB coach/OC regardless of who we sign.

it was fisher, but even fisher recruited those 3 four-five star kids with only one left at FSU. the highly touted kid, henry, completely flopped at FSU (decided to party and not actually care about football).

No one bats a 1000. Hated Jimbo but he did have 3 first round picks while at FSU and Frenchie had a good freshman year with him. The guy knows his **** when it comes to QBs.

No one bats a 1000. Hated Jimbo but he did have 3 first round picks while at FSU and Frenchie had a good freshman year with him. The guy knows his **** when it comes to QBs.

i agree and that was my overall point -- no matter how good or bad you are, its soooo hard to find a QB (regardless of star) that will pan out. we have 2 four stars here and once has a maturity issue and the other is too young. everyone will get fooled by a recruit.

Advertisement
Back