Our QB Recruiting

NateDogg

The Swift Chancellor
Where did we go wrong with our recruiting at the most important position on the team? This has been a perpetual problem going back to Coker, not counting transfers like Berlin.

It's not like we haven't targeted and hit on highly ranked QBs, so has it just been poor coaching and development? Poor scouting (falling in love with rankings and not fully studying the player himself)?

Looking back over the last 10-12 years, we have had a terrible run at QB. Jacory had his moments and Kaaya put up numbers (a great arm but unfortunately limited by his lack of mobility). The one who stands out to me as a guy that wasn't highly rated but developed into a very good QB was Morris. Was that a result of great scouting...coaching...luck?

Right now we all know about the problems with the current QB room. To think that we aren't bringing in another QB this class is scary...but is it? Should we even have the confidence that we would bring in the right guy? How do we address this, outside of the obvious answer of a new QB coach?

Advertisement
Every class should have a high rated qb included whether you have 2 or 6 on the roster. What their plan was this cycle baffles me.

Advertisement
1539899056602.png

Every class should have a high rated qb included whether you have 2 or 6 on the roster. What their plan was this cycle baffles me.

I hope we are able to pull something off in the last minute a la Williams. My fear is the JON Richt will stand by his 'word' and only recruit his 1 QB (which we lost :hopelessness:) in some attempt to prove to future recruits he's a man of his word when he sells them that on the "you're my guy" speech on the trail. Prove me wrong

Advertisement
Where did we go wrong with our recruiting at the most important position on the team? This has been a perpetual problem going back to Coker, not counting transfers like Berlin.

It's not like we haven't targeted and hit on highly ranked QBs, so has it just been poor coaching and development? Poor scouting (falling in love with rankings and not fully studying the player himself)?

Looking back over the last 10-12 years, we have had a terrible run at QB. Jacory had his moments and Kaaya put up numbers (a great arm but unfortunately limited by his lack of mobility). The one who stands out to me as a guy that wasn't highly rated but developed into a very good QB was Morris. Was that a result of great scouting...coaching...luck?

Right now we all know about the problems with the current QB room. To think that we aren't bringing in another QB this class is scary...but is it? Should we even have the confidence that we would bring in the right guy? How do we address this, outside of the obvious answer of a new QB coach?

While this thread deteriorated rapidly, the answer is probably that QB recruiting is largely a crapshoot.

62.5% of 5 star QBs transferred since 2010. And when you look at success at the second school, maybe they just weren't that good to begin with. 5 star is supposed to be elite, right? So they should be studs at the next school if rankings are accurate, right? Especially as they should have an even better idea of what they are looking for.

https://247sports.com/Article/Five-...ering-rate-across-college-football-118425483/

To me, all you can do is

1. Get at least one guy each year that you really believe can start. Not a backup or project, but really a quality starter in your system.
2. Have a dedicated QB coach who understands the system you want to run and will stick around (can't have ongoing QB coach turnover).
3. Accept that you will lose, voluntarily or not, more than 1/3 of the guys you sign, if they can play.
4. Then cross your fu**ing fingers.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Umm Florida QBs end up pretty successful on the D1 level.

He looks like he can't get to about 220 in a College Program. And he has a decent arm also.

If you look at what @TheChosenOne said in another thread, it doesn't work out for us for some reason.

I agree. Florida QBs does not pan out for us, no matter how great they are in high school. Don't know why.

Our QB situation has been trash but name the school that has put out consistently good/great QBs in the last 20 yrs?

Advertisement
Back