Our New OC should be John Jenkins

I know none of ya'll even remember him, or the eye-popping, mythical, record-breaking numbers that his offenses put up, but he was basically Mike Leach BEFORE Mike Leach. Guy is an offensive mastermind and has accomplished a **** of a lot more than either Larry Fedora or Major Applewhite. Here is an SI cover story that Curry Kirkpatrick recently did on him:

https://www.si.com/vault/1991/08/26...-his-wild-offense-with-the-wide-open-throttle

"It is the numbers—especially the outrageously lopsided scores that his offense has engendered—that have bathed Jenkins in so much scalding acid with opposing coaches and Defensive coordinators...and he couldn't care less. His offenses have put up scores like 60-0, 82-28, 66-15, 69-0, 65-7, 66-10 and 64-0 have become commonplace in the Houston record book since 1987, when Jenkins became the offensive coordinator under coach Jack Pardee. That year, Jenkins introduced his personal version of the run-and-shoot to the Cougars."

"Jenkins does not claim to have invented the offense, by the way, only to have expanded it. The Cougars' run-and-shoot is vastly different from Mouse Davis's Silver Stretch, which was designed for the Detroit Lions of a few years ago, or from Jerry Glanville's Red Gun on the Atlanta Falcons or from Warren Moon's aerial festivities on behalf of the Houston Oilers. The offense is not even the same as it was when Jenkins was the offensive coordinator and mastermind for the Jim Kelly-led Houston Gamblers of the USFL, a team that set 20 pro football yardage records in 1985.

"Everything's similar, but different," Jenkins says. "We're more advanced, more complex. Tinkering with this deal, messing with it in my head, the possibilities through the avenues in the air are so unlimited it's scary, Hoss. I want my teams to one day average 100 points a game..and I think we can get it done one day."

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know none of ya'll even remember him, or the eye-popping, mythical, record-breaking numbers that his offenses put up, but he was basically Mike Leach BEFORE Mike Leach. Guys is an offensive mastermind and has accomplished a **** of a lot more than either Larry Fedora or Major Applewhite. Here is an SI cover story that Curry Kirkpatrick recently did on him:

https://www.si.com/vault/1991/08/26...-his-wild-offense-with-the-wide-open-throttle

"It is the numbers—especially the outrageously lopsided scores that his offense has engendered—that have bathed Jenkins in so much scalding acid with opposing coaches and Defensive coordinators...and he couldn't care less. His offenses have put up scores like 60-0, 82-28, 66-15, 69-0, 65-7, 66-10 and 64-0 have become commonplace in the Houston record book since 1987, when Jenkins became the offensive coordinator under coach Jack Pardee. That year, Jenkins introduced his personal version of the run-and-shoot to the Cougars, who promptly misunderstood it to the tune of one win in their first seven games."

"Jenkins does not claim to have invented the offense, by the way, only to have expanded it. The Cougars' run-and-shoot is vastly different from Mouse Davis's Silver Stretch, which was designed for the Detroit Lions of a few years ago, or from Jerry Glanville's Red Gun on the Atlanta Falcons or from Warren Moon's aerial festivities on behalf of the Houston Oilers. The offense is not even the same as it was when Jenkins was the offensive coordinator and mastermind for the Jim Kelly-led Houston Gamblers of the USFL, a team that set 20 pro football yardage records in 1985.

"Everything's similar, but different," Jenkins says. "We're more advanced, more complex. Tinkering with this deal, messing with it in my head, the possibilities through the avenues in the air are so unlimited it's scary, Hoss. I want my teams to one day average 100 points a game..and I think we can get it done one day."
John Jenkins..is that you?

Jenkins' offenses at Houston put up numbers that coaches like Fedora and Applewhite and Leach and Kingsbury can ONLY DREAM OF. And his most recent job was with the Hudson Valley Fort just 2-3 years ago, so stop exaggerating.

Advertisement
Solid troll.
I had to google who the fvck that was. A 66yo from Pampa,Texas, that doesn't coach for 12 years, sure

John Jenkins May have disappeared from the coaching ranks, but I still think it’s kinda cool that he’s posting on here.

Advertisement
Need to build up clout before testing the waters. Happy hunting.

Fishing with dynamite around here.

Advertisement
Mike Leach before Mike Leach? Considering I've known Mike Leach to be around since Texas Tech days, this guy you're talking about must be pretty old. This is going to be a hard pass for me big dawg. If you're going to make a suggestion, make sure it's realistic.

You're citing an article from 1991? To give context I was born 5 years after that :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:

Jenkins' offenses at Houston put up numbers that coaches like Fedora and Applewhite and Leach and Kingsbury can ONLY DREAM OF. And his most recent job was with the Hudson Valley Fort just 2-3 years ago, so stop exaggerating.

Hudson Valley Fort sounds like a train stop.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back