Our Linemen that I’m excited about

PittsburghCane

Redshirt Freshman
Cleveland Reed - When you think power he’s the first guy I think of on our line. He was a powerlifting champ in HS and a wrestler which is a nasty combo inside. Strong, tactful hands with a mean streak spells power running to me.

Corey Gaynor - Smart, Agile, good size for center, and groomed. Being that center is almost never a freshman or sophomore (that I’ve seen, please correct me if not), seeing him fill in here and there, including the athleticism to try FB as a lineman spoke volumes to me. Plus he has a great mean streak. Excited to see the mentality he fosters in the line.

Navaughn Donaldson - Hes always had the big and mean part, now we are waiting on the mental side. I think year theee is the one for the former freshman all American and I’m ready to sit back and watch.

D.J. Scaife - Size wise not like Navaughn, Buy was still able to start as a fresh. Good feet, attitude and intelligence let him work the tackle position well. The added size he will gain as well as strength in year two make him an All ACC candidate.

Herbert and Hilery - Clones in my opinions. Guys we though would come in early and take spots were really projects. But still have great size and athleticism to flourish. Make or break year but both have things going for them, Hilery his fluid movements and Herbert the pedigree.

John Campbell - always a wild card to me. Great height and size but really lacking strength. A great offseason with Coach’s Felder make him more than a dark horse for OT starts.

Break it down with me CIS! Bash, corroborate and educate away! And if you got the source in the team give us some insight.

Respect.

Advertisement
I do too!!! Everyone is freakin out over recruiting, but there is NO freshman O Lineman that would come in here and start with the exception of Neal...

Advertisement
The one thing all 7 of those guys have in common is talent. Outside of St. Louis, who was an Under Armour AA, they are all better at this early stage than a lot of the guys on the roster the last few years. Darling and Kc McDermott are the exceptions but neither of those guys was given a chance to develop properly due to not getting a RS and being asked to play multiple positions throughout their careers.

Reed, Gaynor and Campbell all got to RS this year, Herbert and Hillery got them last year. Only Navaughn and Scaife did not get that opportunity, but both are the 2 most gifted of the group.

Next year I really see the group struggling early and then really starting to dominate towards the end of the season once they become more experienced and learn to play with each other. 2020 the OL should be dominant, too much talent and depth for any excuses. A new OL coach before or after 2019 will go a long way.

@PittsburghCane I’ve never ?’d our talent; I question the coaching, only. We have tools here, but if someone doesn’t know how to properly utilize them, them what’s the point?

Advertisement
I think hillery will be like a goal line package guy for the rest of his time here . Herbert needs to be a guard. I'm most excited about Reed

Only thing I would say is that no one here though Hillery would be an early contributor. If he doesnt break through this coming season then he is probably a washout though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Donaldson, Scaife, Gaynor, and Reed should ALL start for us next season.

Unfortunately with these dumbass coaches, Hayden Mahoney will probably start over Gaynor or Reed at Guard/Center. For some reason they love him even though he sucks. Hopefully we get a grad/juco transfer LT/RT who can start at a high level day 1. If Not looks like Campbell needs to step up.

Advertisement
Back