Our Glorious Athletic Director

Advertisement
i'd love to know where you geniuses would put a stadium, even if we had the money for it. tropical park is the only place that solves the distance from campus issue along with having the infrastructure to handle stadium traffic, but you'd have to somehow pry it out of the city's hands first. and before some ****** says the land that we sold by the zoo would have worked, that land is having enough trouble getting a **** walmart put on it because of environmental reasons.

"Anything difficult is not worth doing."

- db305

Hypothetical situation so please stay with me for a moment.

The year is 20XX and we have 8 years left on our current lease at No Life. Stephen Ross decides to move the Dolphins out of South Florida and decides to destroy the stadium and build condos in 8 years from 20XX. What should UM do? Should UM end the football program?

Anyone?

Really? In Miami Gardens? I'm okay with hypotheticals, but you're worried about something 17 years away. And you honestly think the NFL would want to leave this market? They'd force Ross to sell before they'd move the Fins. Especially with the upgrade of SunLife you have an outdoor facility that is first rate for future Super Bowls.

Wow

Wow, what? Your ridiculous hypothetical? I agree.

@OmarKelly: "If someone want to build us a stadium that holds 40,000 people & wants to put it close to our campus we'll definitely be listening," James

@OmarKelly: "If there's a better spot for the Hurricanes I'm all ears and we'll definitely listen," Blake James told @JoeRoseShow on stadium issue.

Can we have a bigger worthless, vision-less piece of garbage running our athletic department?

Shalala is leaving and this clown is 1B right after her.

Purge the trash.

Golden will lose enough games this year to GTFOH.

Somebody call the WAHHHHHmbulence

Advertisement
The upgrades to SunLife will make it a first rate stadium.

And by first rate, you mean boring as ****, seats miles away from the field & virtually no home field advantage.

At least it will look cool on photoshop.

The stadium is perfect for an NFL team hosting super bowls. I don't remember being an NFL team hosting super bowls.

Let me simplify this for you.....It is WHAT drove the renovation plans for SunLife Stadium. Have you even looked at the plans which are sorely needed to modernize the stadium or are you just pining for something that is not going to happen? This stadium issue have been going on for what 7 to 8 decades....LoL.

All I saw were comments about the stadium.

Agree that there is no reason for us to be playing FIU, it was a debacle in the past and does nothing for us moving forward.

And by first rate, you mean boring as ****, seats miles away from the field & virtually no home field advantage.

The Miami Hurricanes of the 1980s are what made the Orange Bowl a tremendous home field advantage. There were plenty of games where Miami drew in the high 30s except for the "big games." Look I miss the Old Lady but she is gone. Start winning and the crowds will come. Modernize Joe Robbie and the in-game experience will greatly improve.

BuPekT7CQAADqQs.jpg:large

Advertisement
That's our fearless leader showing when it comes to the stadium issue he has no desire, plan or vision to have it resolved. Unreal. Where are our priorities? We are rotting at SLS. That FAMU game was the worst attendance for FAMU I have ever seen. I'm done with this guy.

You think it is SunLife Stadium? Dude, go look at what Miami drew for home games in 1997. Paid attendance under 20K against Rutgers for homecoming. Miami is not drawing because it is not putting out a product that corresponds to South Florida. South Florida goes for front runners, period. Even in the OB the paid attendance was around 40 to 45K against pedestrian teams even when Miami was good.

Miami is a terrible sports town, period. Love the city. Lived there for 6 years. But you are correct, it is a frontrunner city that has little sports loyalty. Too many transplants from elsewhere, including foreigners. They have trouble packing the stands for the Dolphins and even the Heat. It's no surprise that a small/mid-size private university is going to have trouble drawing enough fans to fill a huge stadium for anything but the biggest games. As you mentioned, attendance was a problem in the "good old days" as well. I lived there from 90-96 and attended almost every single home game during that stretch. Other than marquee games, the OB was half full or less most of the time.

WTF, how can we play in a dump like this after the $350 million renovation?

SLS Renovation #2.jpg

SLS Renovation.jpg

SLS Renovation #3.jpg

SLS Renovation #4.jpg

SLS Renovation #5.jpg

Last edited:

The stadium is perfect for an NFL team hosting super bowls. I don't remember being an NFL team hosting super bowls.

Let me simplify this for you.....It is WHAT drove the renovation plans for SunLife Stadium. Have you even looked at the plans which are sorely needed to modernize the stadium or are you just pining for something that is not going to happen? This stadium issue have been going on for what 7 to 8 decades....LoL.

You can't simplify what you don't understand.

The main issue is that the stadium doesn't meet our needs. It is way too big and offers nothing in terms of home field advantage.

It has nothing to do with fancy scoreboards or modern feel or location. It is about having something that meets our needs.

This is why everyone gripes.

LOL@ Pentagoncane, coming off like your typical delusional government douchebag.

Glad our country is the hands of the likes of people like you

Advertisement
That statement sounds better than what he has said in the past. It's not going to happen so what else is he supposed to say?

i'd love to know where you geniuses would put a stadium, even if we had the money for it. tropical park is the only place that solves the distance from campus issue along with having the infrastructure to handle stadium traffic, but you'd have to somehow pry it out of the city's hands first. and before some ****** says the land that we sold by the zoo would have worked, that land is having enough trouble getting a **** walmart put on it because of environmental reasons.

"Anything difficult is not worth doing."

- db305

"i have no intelligent answer, so i'll be a snarky ***** instead."

-consigliere

i'd like to hear one reasonable/feasible solution to the problem.

I just want a president who isn't a bleeding heart and thinks of the football history in the 80's and early 90's as a good thing. And able to make a competent hire. I want a pat Haden type hire for the AD. I want an AD that isn't afraid to pull the trigger in the middle of the season. Not be talking up a great job that Golden is doing.

There's a shocker. People hate Shalala for her politics and little else.

FWIW, Pat Haden hated the UM attitude back in the glory days. He was one of the announcers who would regularly trash UM during games for being thugs, etc. He'd never embrace the old Miami image as a good thing, and neither would any other AD (or prospective AD or president) in the country.

You guys want someone who embraces thug life as an AD, and that ain't gonna happen. Ever. Not at UM, and not any place else either.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dumbest fans in America. Why wouldUniversity start a capital campaign for a stadium it's going to be filled 6 to 7 times a year only with no other entertainment value around it? Best option is to partner up with a donor that will use the stadium venue for other entertainment Avenues
Ohh you mean like every other major college program in America? Why indeed.

@OmarKelly: "If someone want to build us a stadium that holds 40,000 people & wants to put it close to our campus we'll definitely be listening," James

@OmarKelly: "If there's a better spot for the Hurricanes I'm all ears and we'll definitely listen," Blake James told @JoeRoseShow on stadium issue.

Can we have a bigger worthless, vision-less piece of garbage running our athletic department?

Shalala is leaving and this clown is 1B right after her.

Purge the trash.

Golden will lose enough games this year to GTFOH.

It's awesome to selectively have missed the first part of the interview where there were much more responses about the stadium issue and other issues than just those two quotes which came in response to the Beckham stadium question after other SunLife and UM stadium questions were addressed.

There are so many real issues, I never get why everyone needs to go all Fox or MSNBC and parse things and then watch the lemmings follow without listening to the full info in context.

And I don't even want to defend them, I just want people to have legit discussion without spin jobs.

I'll take Tad Foote. Dude wasn't necessarily thrilled with athletics, but he hired a competent athletic director and more importantly left it the **** alone. That is what we need, a Pres who can make a good AD hire and then stand back.

I'll take Tad Foote. Dude wasn't necessarily thrilled with athletics, but he hired a competent athletic director and more importantly left it the **** alone. That is what we need, a Pres who can make a good AD hire and then stand back.

Tad didn't stand back. He butted heads continuously with Jimmy and Sam Jankovich.

Seriously, the revisionist history that goes on on this board is funny as ****. You guys really believe that Tad Foote had anything to do with the success of UM football? ****, I doubt Tad even knew who Jankovich was before he rubber-stamped his hire; it was total luck that Sam turned out to be as good as he was.

Advertisement
Back