OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM ON D (VERY CONCERNING)(2020 STATS)

Advertisement
Well Manny came here in 2016. Since then a Safety has led in tackles every year except last year with Shaq. Even that year our safeties were 4 of the top 7 in tackles. It’s Manny’s scheme. He has such a hard on for the big play (TFL), that he hangs the LBs out to dry. Which is quite hilarious actually because we can’t even capitalize on it when we get em. Never seen a defense give up more 1st downs on 3rd and long as I’ve seen with this group

That said, we also had really good DTs with Willis, Norton, and RJ. That certainly helped Shaq and Pink. Plus they were flat out more talented. Our LB group is really bad, slow and not well coached. So improvements can absolutely be made with better talent and giving them better coaching.

Regarding Baker, he just makes this scheme worse. He doesn’t seem to have any feel for the game. I don’t know his history much but I feel he made his name off Jaylon Ferguson. Manny can run this scheme a **** of a lot better. But it just doesn’t seem to stand up to good offenses no matter who is running it.
LB coaching is bad, but you are correct, it is primarily the scheme. Out DLine does not engage with blockers against the run, allowing offensive lineman to easily get to the second level. If a defensive lineman does not make a tackle on the ball carrier, an offensive lineman has probably blocked our Linebacker out of the play leaving only our safeties to make the tackle. I can't for the life of me understand why we always get stuck with defensive coaches who feel like they must re invent the wheel. No other team in the country defends the run in this manner.

Advertisement
Our defense got raped in the shower all **** year and the LB play is a huge cause for our embarrassment. It was non-existent and was as if we weren't even given the chance to grab the soap.

This biggest problem with that stat is our safeties playing 12 yards off the ball and dropping on the snap.

So all those tackles were WELL downfield.

Advertisement
As poorly as our Lbs played, this is a scheme issue more than anything else in my opinion. It's really hard to determine who's at fault without knowing what the position players are being instructed to do. Frierson is 3rd on the list but he's a linebacker for all intensive purposes. Depending on what teams game plans are against us, our dbs may make more tackles because they're throwing the ball more and we're playing 12 yards off thus allowing for more completions and tackles. D-line cause havoc up front but don't occupy linemen allowing linebackers to flow. There's no discipline up front, no setting the edges, all these issues are scheme or coaching related. Even if Baker is gone, my concern is this is ultimately Manny's defense. The same thing will occur with the next DC unless Manny allows the DC to make some tweaks to the scheme.

LB coaching is bad, but you are correct, it is primarily the scheme. Out DLine does not engage with blockers against the run, allowing offensive lineman to easily get to the second level. If a defensive lineman does not make a tackle on the ball carrier, an offensive lineman has probably blocked our Linebacker out of the play leaving only our safeties to make the tackle. I can't for the life of me understand why we always get stuck with defensive coaches who feel like they must re invent the wheel. No other team in the country defends the run in this manner.
Agreed. We can’t expect the 86 Bears. Offense is king and points are scored on even the best defenses. But if we can’t set the edge, not allow our LBs to get gobbled up and learn how to tackle, we have no chance to beat the good teams. We need to change the scheme AND bring in better talent.

We need a portal Lber. It’s gonna take an older guy who hasn’t been taught by this staff to really help us.

Advertisement
Don't really care for stats. My eyes tells me the whole story. Our linebackers are the worst I've seen in 25+ years of religiously watching football & our head coach is like those guys that try to invent 10,000 things & they're all junk. Football is football. Sure it changes but you are not reinventing the game like he thinks he can. His scheme is pathetic dog ****.

Advertisement
I'll be honest, I didn't even pay attention to that. I was too focused on the LBs lol

The LB and CB play has been bad this year. Stats aren’t needed to know it. Just like WR play. Now we can add DE play for 2021 unless we land another portal stud.

WR- I have hope with Smith plus the ‘21 kids
CB- I have hope with Rumph getting dumped
LB- I have hope with Baker/Patke getting fired
DE- I have hope based on 5 years of good DE play and development. Baker getting fired so we can play man at CB and less zone.

The LB and CB play has been bad this year. Stats aren’t needed to know it. Just like WR play. Now we can add DE play for 2021 unless we land another portal stud.

WR- I have hope with Smith plus the ‘21 kids
CB- I have hope with Rumph getting dumped
LB- I have hope with Baker/Patke getting fired
DE- I have hope based on 5 years of good DE play and development. Baker getting fired so we can play man at CB and less zone.
I want to have that same hope....but I'll wait until they're actually fired lol. Manny has to win my trust back.

Advertisement
Back