OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM ON D (VERY CONCERNING)(2020 STATS)

Until we address the LBs we’ll continue to struggle against the running game and mobile QBs. FIU may be the “worst” loss in program history, but there is no denying UNC was the most embarrassing loss.
Exactly man. These type of losses should NEVER happen one season after another. We can't lose to fiu one yr, "improve" and then have a record set on us the very next season.

Advertisement
It’s the coaching of our LBS. and the seniority must play syndrome. How can a group of coaches watch Mccloud and Jennings play and just keep starting them? They are literally stealing money from the University of Miami.
Agreed man. At some point it's not even on the players anymore. Like if they're struggling, it's on the coaches to make changes.

McCloud having 27 is down right pathetic

but it’s not like it wasn’t obvious watching the game live that he wasn’t getting the job done. Embarrassing how you watch film on him yet still send him out every week to fail
EXACTLY man. This is alot on the coaches.

Go look at ANY team stats. I guarantee they have a LB in their top 3 total tackles with more than McCloud and Jennings COMBINED.

Advertisement
None of these stats are going to shift much no matter what talent we put at LB unfortunately. Certainly room for improvement on those numbers but it’s the scheme. Until that changes, our linebackers will only lead the team in how many times they engage with an OL.

The LB’s are average at best but the scheme is the biggest factor to me. LB’s are hung out to dry in this scheme, Shaq & Pink regressed big time. Hopefully with a more disciplined scheme and better coaching the LB’s will look better.

Biggest problem with LBs. Coaching and scheme. More talent would not hurt either but without the coaching they will never play up to their capability s

Advertisement
None of these stats are going to shift much no matter what talent we put at LB unfortunately. Certainly room for improvement on those numbers but it’s the scheme. Until that changes, our linebackers will only lead the team in how many times they engage with an OL.
Yeah that's true... But... Is this a Baker problem or a Manny problem? I ask that because when Manny was the DC, the LB play wasn't no where close to this bad.

The LB’s are average at best but the scheme is the biggest factor to me. LB’s are hung out to dry in this scheme, Shaq & Pink regressed big time. Hopefully with a more disciplined scheme and better coaching the LB’s will look better.
We need a TRUE LB coach

Advertisement
Listen... I know we all want and need CBs. But honestly, I really do think we have to address LBs first. Like this numbers are no joke. It's like we played the whole season without LBs on the field.
I been saying this
I’m a former LB and I played in Canada for 5 years. I can spot bad LB play with my eyes closed. Been calling McCloud “McLost” because he is always looking like Stevie wonder out there! And y’all called me crazy for saying we need one transfer LB (usc guy) and T2 and one corner for our 3 spots left. LB is obviously the weakest position here and you tell whoever you need to to get lost out of that group and bring in two LBs. You have numbers but they all trash and we obviously don’t develop young guys there. We can and should move X to corner since we not going to play him at WR anyways

Yeah that's true... But... Is this a Baker problem or a Manny problem? I ask that because when Manny was the DC, the LB play wasn't no where close to this bad.
Well Manny came here in 2016. Since then a Safety has led in tackles every year except last year with Shaq. Even that year our safeties were 4 of the top 7 in tackles. It’s Manny’s scheme. He has such a hard on for the big play (TFL), that he hangs the LBs out to dry. Which is quite hilarious actually because we can’t even capitalize on it when we get em. Never seen a defense give up more 1st downs on 3rd and long as I’ve seen with this group

That said, we also had really good DTs with Willis, Norton, and RJ. That certainly helped Shaq and Pink. Plus they were flat out more talented. Our LB group is really bad, slow and not well coached. So improvements can absolutely be made with better talent and giving them better coaching.

Regarding Baker, he just makes this scheme worse. He doesn’t seem to have any feel for the game. I don’t know his history much but I feel he made his name off Jaylon Ferguson. Manny can run this scheme a **** of a lot better. But it just doesn’t seem to stand up to good offenses no matter who is running it.

LB play was atrocious this season, can’t even say it was underwhelming, it was a catastrophic disaster.

Advertisement
View attachment 139722

Okay... I know ALOT of times the leading tackler on a team is their safety....BUT NOT LITERALLY ALL THEIR SAFETIES. Bro check how many tackles our leading LB have...39 wtf... And Mr. Clueless himself McCloud I'm sure played the most snaps out of all the LBs and only have a measly 27... And I'm sure the two tackles for loss he's credited with are his two sacks. Our top 3 LBs have a total of 103. Dawg.... That would be a good season for ONE LB. This is ridiculous. Something has to change because I'm sure the scheme is apart of it but at the same time, This wasn't a problem with Shaq and Pickney.
Here are the 2017 and 2018 numbers for comparison:

2017:
Screenshot_20210102-120220_Chrome.png

2018:
Screenshot_20210102-120244_Chrome.png

Advertisement
Back