OU portal usage

They just picked up their 3rd Tennessee player. Only signed 16 in the class. I’m sure they didn’t expect a mass exodus like this but still seems strategic on their part.

People may not like the portal but schools will def start signing less High school kids and saving those schollys for transfer kids.

I think we start to do the same. And many other schools moving forward
Hit the nail on the head here D. With CFBs version of free agency upon us, this is the way of the future for sure. Especially when you can pick up legit tried and proven players to fill major gaps in your roster. Definitely allows to stay competitive year in and year out with out a fall off from rebuilding. It’s almost like the new version of reloading. I also think it levels the playing field because kids are gonna get sick of waiting their turns at all the usually suspects like bama, uga, Clemson and OSU and hit that portal. And it’s already proven we’re spot numero uno for those kids so far. Now if we only had that little missing ingredient like a true tried and proven “head coach,” then we’d be cooking with freeze my friend. Lol

Advertisement
We had to use it cause of missing so **** much.. its not rocket science
I know. But, at the time, Manny wasnt the HC. Trust me, I'm not a CMD fan, especially with him not letting go of his buddies on staff and repeatedly bringing up culture issues without acknowledging he was apart of the staff that allowed and still allows, this culture. But, I can acknowledge that he probably has used the portal better than any other HC. We seem prepared for, and have targeted the right players, the portal every year.

Your comment was: "schools will def start signing less High school kids and saving those schollys for transfer kids."

So your theory is that there will be overall fewer D1 scholarships given to HS kids each year going forward?

Why don't you run that through your magical thinking Millennial simulator and see how it plays out.
My theory is schools on a year to year basis will at times take less kids from high school and save a few scholarships for transfers. Especially teams who will feel they are really close to being a CFP team or if they feel like they need to give their younger talent more time to develop.

Even in what you quoted I never said every year.

No need for us to do the same. We get hat gamed on NSD every year. Also, people have been bolting pre portal, I suspect it will continue.

Rare for Miami to retain a 4th or 5th year player at any point in history. Now, with a free year of elligibility, having seniors on the roster is the rare anomoly. Things will go back to us having a “young class” again after having normal seasons.

Advertisement
No need for us to do the same. We get hat gamed on NSD every year. Also, people have been bolting pre portal, I suspect it will continue.

Rare for Miami to retain a 4th or 5th year player at any point in history. Now, with a free year of elligibility, having seniors on the roster is the rare anomoly. Things will go back to us having a “young class” again after having normal seasons.
we’ve had too much success in the portal for me to see Manny (aslong as he is here abandon it). Maybe it’s two player instead of 3 but I still see Miami staying active in there

We had to use it cause of missing so **** much.. its not rocket science
DW.................I think they said it was "plugging holes in positions of need", "adding needed depth", and "bringing maturity to certain positions on the team"..
We had some hits and we have had some strikes.......but most schools may now have GA's assigned to the portals ongoing..
Agreed too it is luck, not rocket science...
Holding portal spots is risky at best, and a crap shoot at worst.

we’ve had too much success in the portal for me to see Manny (aslong as he is here abandon it). Maybe it’s two player instead of 3 but I still see Miami staying active in there
We wouldn't abandon it. It would be essential as it has always been. My point is, we won't need to undersign highscholers in order to make room for the portal. Miami players do that on their own as do potential recruits.

Advertisement
IC needs to be higher than 25 going forward imo. Every single team is inevitably going to have more attrition each year, and how this is gonna be is just gonna be ******* over more and more HS seniors

You take each year and you treat it separately. If you have a way to strengthen your team by adding a couple of transfers you do it. The number is every moving. It’s a game of chess these days to maintain 85. Every year is different.

They just picked up their 3rd Tennessee player. Only signed 16 in the class. I’m sure they didn’t expect a mass exodus like this but still seems strategic on their part.

People may not like the portal but schools will def start signing less High school kids and saving those schollys for transfer kids.

Will schools now hire people who deal exclusively with the portal, like a portal coordinator? It seems like a wise strategy because there is less guess work on what kids will mature into while in college.

Advertisement
Will schools now hire people who deal exclusively with the portal, like a portal coordinator? It seems like a wise strategy because there is less guess work on what kids will mature into while in college.
I believe Clemson just put someone a similar type position. Off the top of my head

IC needs to be higher than 25 going forward imo. Every single team is inevitably going to have more attrition each year, and how this is gonna be is just gonna be ******* over more and more HS seniors

Right. If the current system was set up for an (average) attrition of 8 per year under the old rules, imagine what attrition will be like when kids can transfer more easily.

The early signing period actually fits perfectly with the transfer portal. It gives the opportunity to add from portal needs if players are available or add HS kids if you can't find a fit

Advertisement
Circumstances change on a year to year basis. I don’t think we should be chasing off potential star high schoolers to make room for transfers but I also believe that most teams outside of the very elite programs have a hole or two to fill every year. I’m very happy with how the team allotted their 25 counters this year. They used one for Jarrid Williams (desperately needed a solid veteran on the line and he did his job) they locked up 20 high school commits while saving a slot for a quarterback they eventually convinced to come late. That left three spots for transfers who should come in and be ready to play day 1. Ideally, we wouldn’t have been so desperate for corner help but I feel like we would have taken Stephenson even if we weren’t in dire shape.

My theory is schools on a year to year basis will at times take less kids from high school and save a few scholarships for transfers. Especially teams who will feel they are really close to being a CFP team or if they feel like they need to give their younger talent more time to develop.

Even in what you quoted I never said every year.
The bottom line is that as a matter of logic, common sense and self interest, there will not be a reduction in HS kids getting college D1 scholarships. Mathematically, that refutes the idea that transfers will become more utilized across the board, at least so long as the 25 IC rule applies to transfers. In essence, transfers cannot become more utilized across the board unless the NCAA changes its IC rule. There just isn’t roster space for that to work. Maybe they will change the rule but doubt Alabama wants it to change.

This is simple. First and foremost IT WILL BE AROUND yearly. Not as much as this year because the immediate eligibility won't be permanent.

The numbers say it will stick around and here's the numbers: About 3 out of 7 households in the US (minority/black/non-Asian) graduate from college.....numbers are similar to those who even make it college in the first place. Why does that matter and how does it impact our transfer thread? Well, think about it, MOST of those kids making up the 30% aren't getting athletic scholarships, so let's just say if half, so 15% (which we know is lower because there's more girls going than guys but even with 15%........how many are coming from poverty stricken situations? If you know like I know because I've been there we can easily say probably 8 out of 10 and that's supported because non-degree households make up the bottom 20% of US wealth scale (btw for perspective the top 1% own over 50% of ALL wealth....let that sink in when thinking about what that bottom 20% looks like in terms of $ and cents).

My point is this: SEC and big bag schools will continue to dominate recruiting, why, because these kids coming out of poverty stricken areas aren't passing up the biggest sum of $$$ that they've likely seen in their lifetime and their parents/handlers/etc are absolutely going to most times tell them to take that $$$ so they're struggle isn't as bad. Once that happens, and a kid is there for 2 maybe 3 years, you have broken promises, money being spread out amongst entire families makes say 200K over 2-3 years not as much as you'd think or big time family problems due to jealousy etc....these kids eventually want to play where they wanted to play to begin with or they now are 2-3 years wiser and don't care AS MUCH about the college bags and want to think about where i'm getting my degree from or I'd like my family to see me play or I badly miss home or I BADLY WANT TO BE AROUND COACHES THAT ACTUALLY GIVE A HOOT ABOUT ME OFF THE FIELD.....the reasons are endless.

Bag game dominates because kids are poor guys, they majority come from families with high school level education/jobs if even that, so when that $$$ is tossed around most of them are taking it no questions asked except "Do I Hear More from you over there?....sold, mom we're going to TX A&M Univ".....couple years in these guys realize they don't want to be there and are ready to make the decision again, but this time without the hardship of watching mom/dad scratch and claw for $12 hour with a househould of 4-5 etc.

Transfer Portal isn't going anywhere and Miami is a program that stands to benefit because our school/booster network just isn't at the same level of your SEC public school programs so that's why if we can keep 2-3 5 star kids home and maybe a dozen 4 star kids along with the 3 star Greg Rousseau gems we will be JUST FINE because once we have about 22-23 HS kids we will supplement our roster with TS types that we should've landed from the get-go but shoot Life Happens and we all get that.

That's why I'm not bashing a kid for going to the SEC etc because this is real life happening out here.....and I been there growing up so I get it. Tough on these kids out here mane....it not always Jamaica level poverty but it's close and really saddening....but that's a diff topic for a diff environment on a diff day.

Advertisement
Back