Other side of coaching: Matt Campbell

Brother, not since 2017. I posted the W-L's on my original post discussing Matt Campbell.
Ok. Here is the disconnect. Campbell teams are typically ranked relatively high, and he gets them there with less talent. He evaluates and develops players in classes that aren’t in the same stratosphere as Texas or Oklahoma or Oregon, and goes toe to toe with them year after year. So his team of 2/3 stars that is miraculously ranked 10th, loses to a Oklahoma St team that is ranked 11th. I get it. I guess what the OP and I am saying is, the guy does more with less as well as anyone in the country.

Advertisement
This ******* fanbase deserves everything the old regime does to it.

Every game he wins outside of Kansas he’s out coaching people. That team used to be the worst team in the Big 12 and for the third year in a row the NFL is going to try and pry him away.

I’ll

All I posted was a cool video. Your argument on W-L record isn’t with me. I’m just saying he’s well thought of & highly coveted in the coaching world. He may have missed leaving with the iron was hottest but make no mistake, he could still leave.
first of all. RELAX susan, I'm not saying he's my top candidate but I will prove that you have no idea what you're talking about

Iowa state 6 years prior to Matt Campbell
2010: 5-7
2011: 6-7
2012: 6-7
2013: 3-9
2014: 2-10
2015: 3-9

total record --> 25-49

Iowa State 6 years with Matt Campbell

2016: 3-9
2017: 8-5
2018: 8-5
2019: 7-6
2020: 9-3
2021: 7-5
total record --> 42-33

so you say wins and losses don't lie but yet you overlook the wins and losses.

this is in the big 12, not temple so the other porsters comparing this to golden are just wildly ignorant.

I'm not saying he's top 5 but he's definitely top 15-20 coach in the nation and if you are trying to imply that his team at iowa state (who doesn't have the talent or resources as 75% of the conference) is overrated then that's just idiotic.

I bet you love the idea of mario who has arguably done way less with more talent though right?
The name is Steven.....don't be a disrespectful. Have an adult conversation.

The argument isn't what he has done FOR ISU and where he has brought them from because the same argument could be made for someone like Al Golden and what he did at Temple.

The argument is "Matt Campbell consistently beats more talented teams". And that is simply not true since 2017. 2017, ISU was great and Campbell was an up and coming young coach. But since 2017, they have not consistently beaten more talented teams.

that's the argument. now prove that argument wrong with W-L's.

Advertisement
I see, my bad. My point is that I don't really see him as any more special than other random coaches at historically bad schools. People act like Iowa state were the washington generals or something and that's just not true

View attachment 163784
I don’t think he’s an elite, national championship coach anywhere, but he is a good coach. He’d be smart to pull a Kirk Ferentz type career.

In a year to year comparison, ISU has been better than Miami since 2018.

Campbell is a good coach, winning at a school that is known to be a traditional doormat with kids that can't play D1 at many other schools. If you gave the guy and his staff Miami's roster and he coached 2018 to 2021....

Ok. Here is the disconnect. Campbell teams are typically ranked relatively high, and he gets them there with less talent. He evaluates and develops players in classes that aren’t in the same stratosphere as Texas or Oklahoma or Oregon, and goes toe to toe with them year after year. So his team of 2/3 stars that is miraculously ranked 10th, loses to a Oklahoma St team that is ranked 11th. I get it. I guess what the OP and I am saying is, the guy does more with less as well as anyone in the country.
We are comparing his team to the 2017 team when they were beating higher ranked teams. But since then, sure they may beat an OU one year or an Okie St., but not in the same year. For instance, this year, he beat Okie St. but lost to Baylor, Iowa, and OU.

the state of Iowa can keep their wet blanket head coaches.

Manny Diaz would actually fit in well there average 7-5 for most seasons

Advertisement
I'm not the one arguing for Stoops lol. He has nothing to do with my argument.

My argument (in response to the poster): Since 2017, Matt Campbell has NOT consistently beaten teams better than his. W-L's don't lie.
Not disagreeing. No, Campbell hasn’t consistently beaten better teams, but he‘s done it enough to recognize his coaching skill and agree his wins weren’t flukes or catching teams on an off day.

Has Lincoln Riley consistently beaten better teams? No. He’s 0-3 in the CFP. I think he went 1-1 vs Ohio State/Meyer. He’s a top offensive mind, great recruiter, and almost always has more talent. Especially in the Big 12.

The name is Steven.....don't be a disrespectful. Have an adult conversation.

The argument isn't what he has done FOR ISU and where he has brought them from because the same argument could be made for someone like Al Golden and what he did at Temple.

The argument is "Matt Campbell consistently beats more talented teams". And that is simply not true since 2017. 2017, ISU was great and Campbell was an up and coming young coach. But since 2017, they have not consistently beaten more talented teams.

that's the argument. now prove that argument wrong with W-L's.

win @ #3 Oklahoma
Win @ Texas Tech
Win #4 TCU

all three of these teams were equally or more talented

W @ #25 oklahoma State
W #6 West Virginia
W Texas Tech

TCU
WVU
@ texas tech
#19 Texas

all 4 of these teams were equally or more talented

@ TCU
#18 oklahoma
texas tech
baylor
@ #17 texas
west virginia

all SIX of these teams were equally or more talented

#8 oklahoma state
texas
tcu

Iowa state was a bottom dweller. Twist the argument all you want to back off the fact that you think he isn't good but you're wrong.

he has completely owned gary patterson who was widely seen as a top coach in the nation during this time. beat texas, oklahoma, and okie state multiple times despite having far less talent and resources than those schools.

other programs know what you don't which is why his name comes up every offseason for every big job that opens

Not disagreeing. No, Campbell hasn’t consistently beaten better teams, but he‘s done it enough to recognize his coaching skill and agree his wins weren’t flukes or catching teams on an off day.

Has Lincoln Riley consistently beaten better teams? No. He’s 0-3 in the CFP. I think he went 1-1 vs Ohio State/Meyer. He’s a top offensive mind, great recruiter, and almost always has more talent. Especially in the Big 12.
In Riley's defense, while at OU, he had the most talented team in the conference so it would be hard for him to consistently beat more talented teams.

Advertisement
Not sure if everyone got to see this. Pretty cool.

Just a small window into the heart of a coach who is in it for the right reason. Might play against us with Mario (loyalty) but nice to see nonetheless. Big Campbell fan!

We would be incredibly fortunate to have him but I don't see him coming here.

Well to get the thread back on track, Jerry Sandusky use to look at his players more lovingly....

We are comparing his team to the 2017 team when they were beating higher ranked teams. But since then, sure they may beat an OU one year or an Okie St., but not in the same year. For instance, this year, he beat Okie St. but lost to Baylor, Iowa, and OU.
How about this for a solution? What has been the recruiting ranking for Iowa State from 2015 - 2020 vs. their opponents? Just because Iowa State was higher ranked than their opposition doesn't mean they were more talented, they could just be coached better. Isn't that our biggest complaint about Manny? Great talent, but loses to teams with less talent.

Advertisement

win @ #3 Oklahoma
Win @ Texas Tech
Win #4 TCU

W @ #25 oklahoma State
W #6 West Virginia
W Texas Tech

TCU
WVU
@ texas tech
Texas

all 4 of these teams were equally or more talented

@ TCU
#18 oklahoma
texas tech
baylor
@Texas
west virginia

all SIX of these teams were equally or more talented

oklahoma state
texas
tcu

Iowa state was a bottom dweller. Twist the argument all you want to back off the fact that you think he isn't good but you're wrong.

he has completely owned gary patterson who was widely seen as a top coach in the nation during this time. beat texas, oklahoma, and okie state multiple times despite having far less talent and resources than those schools.

other programs know what you don't which is why his name comes up every offseason for every big job that opens
"more talented teams"

2021 TCU more talented?
2021 Texas more talented?

2020 UR Baylor more talented?
2020 UR Texas Tech more talented?
2020 UR WVU more talented?

2019 UR TCU, UR UWV, UR Texas Tech all more talented?

Get outta here LOL.

This season:

beat Okie St. certainly more talented to ISU but lost to OU, Baylor, and Iowa.
We faced 1 team this year that had more talen than us

and we lost that along with 4 others.

if you want to nitpick and pretend that my usage of the word "consistent" means EVERY SINGLE TIME which is wrong and clearly not what I meant then fine.

but several (3-4-5) times per season he's beating teams that have more talent than him. that's called "consistent"

Advertisement
Back