Other side of coaching: Matt Campbell

Advertisement
Big thing is he’s at Iowa State. They should be a Kansas/Illinois level school. Games he “should win” would be losses for them 99% of the time.
What do you mean? They really aren't all that different

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.16.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.14.46 PM.png

Advertisement
Apply that same logic to Stoops at Kentucky. Not saying you’re wrong, but try it….
I'm not the one arguing for Stoops lol. He has nothing to do with my argument.

My argument (in response to the poster): Since 2017, Matt Campbell has NOT consistently beaten teams better than his. W-L's don't lie.

Advertisement
Google it. Literally linked to USC, Florida, LSU, ND jobs just this season. (Heck ND/Washington still might get him) Go back a season & see the same. Same with 2019, etc. Do the legwork.
Google this:

None of those teams hired him. You cannot honestly believe every single tweet that says "this coach being considered by this school" is accurate....because you're not an idiot. You're not. The fact is this: LSU, USC, ND, Miami, OU, UF, which are all top 25 jobs, are not going to hire him. Campbell had a GREAT 2017.....but he has not consistently beaten better teams (that is the argument).

one game isn't the argument. STICK TO THE ARGUMENT.

The poster said that Matt Campbell has always beaten teams that are more talented than his. And that is simply not true since 2017.
I’m sure he didn’t mean “always.” Would you feel better if he said “generally” or “usually.” Because you can’t argue with that. He does.

Advertisement
Google it. Literally linked to USC, Florida, LSU, ND jobs just this season. (Heck ND/Washington still might get him) Go back a season & see the same. Same with 2019, etc. Do the legwork. He’s tip of the sword.
U-Dub hired the coach from Fresno St, and Campbell isn't getting the ND job.

I’m sure he didn’t mean “always.” Would you feel better if he said “generally” or “usually.” Because you can’t argue with that. He does.
Brother, not since 2017. I posted the W-L's on my original post discussing Matt Campbell.

Advertisement
I think Campbell is a good HC and could win ‘big’ at a higher tier program. ISU is not a recruiting magnet. He’s beat Top 10 teams several times, including $110M-man Riley (beat OU twice). NFL teams have contacted him. That’s how good he is.

That said, he isn’t a fit for Miami. I don’t believe in the “Miami guy” qualification, but some guys still aren’t fits. He‘s another Mid-West guy, like Fickell, and will sit on his $4M/yr salary in Ames, Iowa, and wait for the right offer. Would not surprise me if he were on Oklahoma’s to-call list, although a bit lower than the reaches the Sooners will fail to hire.

I’ll
Google this:

None of those teams hired him. You cannot honestly believe every single tweet that says "this coach being considered by this school" is accurate....because you're not an idiot. You're not. The fact is this: LSU, USC, ND, Miami, OU, UF, which are all top 25 jobs, are not going to hire him. Campbell had a GREAT 2017.....but he has not consistently beaten better teams (that is the argument).
All I posted was a cool video. Your argument on W-L record isn’t with me. I’m just saying he’s well thought of & highly coveted in the coaching world. He may have missed leaving with the iron was hottest but make no mistake, he could still leave.

W-L's don't lie. Since 2017, his teams don't consistently beat other talented/more talented teams. That's the argument. The argument isn't what he has done for ISU's program. the argument is (from the post I was replying to) that Matt Campbell consistently beats teams better than his team, and that is not true in the past four years.
first of all. RELAX susan, I'm not saying he's my top candidate but I will prove that you have no idea what you're talking about

Iowa state 6 years prior to Matt Campbell
2010: 5-7
2011: 6-7
2012: 6-7
2013: 3-9
2014: 2-10
2015: 3-9

total record --> 25-49

Iowa State 6 years with Matt Campbell

2016: 3-9
2017: 8-5
2018: 8-5
2019: 7-6
2020: 9-3
2021: 7-5
total record --> 42-33

so you say wins and losses don't lie but yet you overlook the wins and losses.

this is in the big 12, not temple so the other porsters comparing this to golden are just wildly ignorant.

I'm not saying he's top 5 but he's definitely top 15-20 coach in the nation and if you are trying to imply that his team at iowa state (who doesn't have the talent or resources as 75% of the conference) is overrated then that's just idiotic.

I bet you love the idea of mario who has arguably done way less with more talent though right?

Advertisement
Back