Other Coaching Moves

Advertisement
But now Dave Aranda has the CB’s coach spot open, it’ll be interesting to see if he draws from his LSU connects to find a CB coach or goes back to his Utah State days from when he was on Gary Andersen’s staff.

But if he’s looking for a good Texas CB’s recruiter he should try to snatch Kevin Curtis from SMU, or go get my guy Aaron Fletcher from Tulsa.

Another good candidate for Baylor would be Sam Carter from Arkansas, he’s a Houston native who played CB at TCU & spent 3 years at Mizzou as a QC coach.

Gerald Witcher at Rice who's a Missouri City TX native would be a good fit as well.

For those that don’t know or remember, Ryan Bartow used to be a recruiting writer for Rivals, he basically had the same job Ivins has just for Rivals instead of 247 before he got hired at Cuse last year.

Is it odd that a program would have a Director of HS Relations? What does that even mean much less do @Liberty City El ? Is that the job of the AC’s to promote relationships with HS’s?

Is it odd that a program would have a Director of HS Relations? What does that even mean much less do @Liberty City El ? Is that the job of the AC’s to promote relationships with HS’s?
A lot of schools have them, they’re basically just a guy on staff who has direct links with HS coaches & recruits, they’re essentially a glorified scout for the recruiting department.

Some schools just delegate more duties to other positions so as to not spread certain guys to thin.

A Director of HS relations is essentially an assistant for the Recruiting Director & the Player Personnel guy within your recruiting department he handles one aspect of the wide scope of a job that a Recruiting Director has.

So basically instead of having 1 guy doing 5 different jobs, they turn those tasks into positions within the recruiting department & give them a fancy title to justify cutting that person a check & hire them to lighten the workload of the RD so he can focus more on recruiting specific targets rather than being bogged down with foot soldier work.

Advertisement
Nice to see him climb. Gus is going after some young go getters and sprinkling in some more seasoned guys as well.
Yeah he has more freedom to hire the kinda guys he wants at UCF because his AD is the guy who hired him at Ark St to begin his HC career.

I think he’s trying to have as much quick success as he can at UCF so he can parlay that into getting back into a good P5 job, so he’s going with a young up & comer staff that he will be able to take with him if he gets another shot at another SEC program in the next couple years.

Yeah he has more freedom to hire the kinda guys he wants at UCF because his AD is the guy who hired him at Ark St to begin his HC career.

I think he’s trying to have as much quick success as he can at UCF so he can parlay that into getting back into a good P5 job, so he’s going with a young up & comer staff that he will be able to take with him if he gets another shot at another SEC program in the next couple years.
I honestly think he could’ve sat on the sidelines and still ended up with a SEC gig, so this is slightly more risky but he should still do well.

Rumor has it, Gus isn’t all that interested in going back to P5 anytime soon.
He’s more likely to go P5 with UCF getting an invite than to leave them for another gig. But maybe he’s just saying all the right things as he starts the job?

IMO, there’s a lot to like about the UCF job ... Especialky when you’ve already seen the other side of the mountain ...

Advertisement
Rumor has it, Gus isn’t all that interested in going back to P5 anytime soon.
He’s more likely to go P5 with UCF getting an invite than to leave them for another gig. But maybe he’s just saying all the right things as he starts the job?

IMO, there’s a lot to like about the UCF job ... Especialky when you’ve already seen the other side of the mountain ...
Building them into a P5 program would be impressive. A daunting task but would elevate his HC status immensely.

Worth nothing but I don’t think Malzahn was hired by Mohajir at Arky State. If I’m not mistaken Gus left for Auburn a month after Mohajir was appointed as AD.

Poindexter was a rising star a few years ago at UVA. He's kind of dipped a bit over the last several years.

Advertisement
A lot of schools have them, they’re basically just a guy on staff who has direct links with HS coaches & recruits, they’re essentially a glorified scout for the recruiting department.

Some schools just delegate more duties to other positions so as to not spread certain guys to thin.

A Director of HS relations is essentially an assistant for the Recruiting Director & the Player Personnel guy within your recruiting department he handles one aspect of the wide scope of a job that a Recruiting Director has.

So basically instead of having 1 guy doing 5 different jobs, they turn those tasks into positions within the recruiting department & give them a fancy title to justify cutting that person a check & hire them to lighten the workload of the RD so he can focus more on recruiting specific targets rather than being bogged down with foot soldier work.
Thanks for the low down mate

Advertisement

He was one of my favorite players in college back in the mid/late 90's. IIRC he was the dude that met Warrick Dunn in mid air on the goal line his freshman year when UVA beat FSU in Charlottesville. That was also FSU first loss in the ACC iirc as well

Shame because his senior year he was probably going to be a top 10 pick in the draft, but blew his knee out. He either got drafted in like the 7th round or was an UDFA with the Ravens. I got the chance to meet him as a rookie as i worked for the Ravens in 2000 and he was a nice dude. I loved hearing his story about that game with fsu.

Advertisement
Back