Other Coaching Moves

Advertisement
Advertisement

They added a Funk?

4B16B9BD-13E6-460B-B968-05F755E5973F.gif

Karl Scott headed to the pros w the Vikings. Bama has a DB Coach opening. Dont be surprised if Saban sends feelers to TRob (doesn't mean he would.leave).

I'll bet on them running it back w Pruitt tho.
TRob’s not going to Bama, Saban actually doesn’t really like Superstar DB coaches because Saban himself usually coaches the DB’s specifically. If you’re a DB coach at Bama, your job is to recruit & assist Saban, they don’t really do any teaching of technique or anything, they just do whatever Saban commands. Saban is the basically the HC/DB coach in Bama.

Karl Scott wasn’t a big time well known CB’s coach before Saban hired him, he started out at Delta St, had stints at Tusculum, went to Southeastern LA, then went to LA Tech, then was at TTech, then ULL & then Bama. He was never really looked at a knockdown sure-fire CB’s coach who struck fear throughout the coaching world, he basically got recommended to Saban by his DC/ILB’s coach Pete Golding because the two of them were at Delta State together down in Mississippi.

And before Scott, it was Derrick Ansley who was a GA at Bama in 2010 & then went to Tenn for a year, then Kentucky for 2 years, then back to Bama for 2 season before he went with Pruitt to Tenn again.

And before Ansley it was Mel Tucker for a season who was a long time NFL assistant with the Browns Jags & Bears, in fact Mel Tucker had been out of college coaching for 11 years before Saban hired him at Bama.

And Before Mel Tucker, it was Kirby Smart lol.

Point being, people think Saban always has these elite DB coaches who are highly coveted, but the truth is, he could hire a scarecrow to as his CB’s/S’s coach & they would still land 5-star DB’s, because the secret is that Saban is the actual De Facto DB coach at Bama, he just hires these guys because it’s necessary to have a position coach at that spot & he’s pretty busy doing other things & needs a person he can delegate down to when he doesn’t have the time to handle the day to day logistical side of recruiting.

Advertisement
TRob’s not going to Bama, Saban actually doesn’t really like Superstar DB coaches because Saban himself usually coaches the DB’s specifically. If you’re a DB coach at Bama, your job is to recruit & assist Saban, they don’t really do any teaching of technique or anything, they just do whatever Saban commands. Saban is the basically the HC/DB coach in Bama.

Karl Scott wasn’t a big time well known CB’s coach before Saban hired him, he started out at Delta St, had stints at Tusculum, went to Southeastern LA, then went to LA Tech, then was at TTech, then ULL & then Bama. He was never really looked at a knockdown sure-fire CB’s coach who struck fear throughout the coaching world, he basically got recommended to Saban by his DC/ILB’s coach Pete Golding because the two of them were at Delta State together down in Mississippi.

And before Scott, it was Derrick Ansley who was a GA at Bama in 2010 & then went to Tenn for a year, then Kentucky for 2 years, then back to Bama for 2 season before he went with Pruitt to Tenn again.

And before Ansley it was Mel Tucker for a season who was a long time NFL assistant with the Browns Jags & Bears, in fact Mel Tucker had been out of college coaching for 11 years before Saban hired him at Bama.

And Before Mel Tucker, it was Kirby Smart lol.

Point being, people think Saban always has these elite DB coaches who are highly coveted, but the truth is, he could hire a scarecrow to as his CB’s/S’s coach & they would still land 5-star DB’s, because the secret is that Saban is the actual De Facto DB coach at Bama, he just hires these guys because it’s necessary to have a position coach at that spot & he’s pretty busy doing other things & needs a person he can delegate down to when he doesn’t have the time to handle the day to day logistical side of recruiting.
All facts. You can add Pruitt to the list also who he plucked from the HS ranks.

The Legendary Terry Funk!

He would be an Elite top tier recruiter, because if you didn’t commit to him he’d body slam you on barbwire & chair shot you right in the skull lol
I was in 6th grade I think and I went and saw Paradise Alley - a Stallone movie. Terry Funk had a role in it and he was just great!

Advertisement
From the Texas site this is teh staff Sark put together as of today: a couple of moving pieces still but almost complete - he clearly intends to win. Doesn't care about ****ing off Saban , clearly.... Could be stealing three off Saban's staff..

Offensive coordinator/offensive line coach - Kyle Flood (Bama)

Tight ends coach/Special teams coordinator - Jeff Banks (bama)

Quarterbacks coach - AJ Milwee (from Bama)

Running backs coach - Stan Drayton

Receivers coach - Andre Coleman

Defensive coordinator/linebackers coach - Pete Golding (leading candidate at this moment, per our sources) (from Bama staff)

Defensive line coach - Bo Davis

Outside linebackers - Tosh Lupoi/Oscar Giles/Other

Safeties coach - Blake Gideon

Cornerbacks coach - Terry Joseph
You know Saban is ****ed. He said that on the Belicheck and his documentary. He basically admitted that he hates when former employees try and steal other members from his coaching staff.

You know Saban is ****ed. He said that on the Belicheck and his documentary. He basically admitted that he hates when former employees try and steal other members from his coaching staff.
Did he already get Tosh Lupoi?

from Alabama 247 reporter:

First, some notes on Scott to Minnesota. He interviewed for the defensive backs coach opening on Thursday, was offered the job on Friday and accepted it today. With another assistant coach off the board, here are some names we're hearing for Alabama's cornerbacks coach vacancy.

Aazaar Abdul-Rahim -- Boston College DB coach/defensive pass game coordinator

Derrick Ansley -- Los Angeles Chargers defensive backs coach

Doug Belk -- Houston defensive coordinator/safeties coach

Terrell Buckley -- Ole Miss cornerbacks coach

Jason Jones -- Indiana safeties coach

Jules Motinar -- South Florida cornerbacks coach

Sam Petitto -- Alabama director of personnel operations

Deshea Townsend -- Chicago Bears secondary coach

Marcus Woodson -- Florida State DB coach/defensive passing game coordinator

Advertisement
Being a college football assistant coach would be grueling.

Making 200-500K to coach college football sounds great, but when you really look at the instability, hours, politics of it all, etc... sounds miserable. Also have to figure how long it takes to get to that pay level. At a lower level school, that’s all the HC makes.
Imagine make upwards of $300k a year and if you're good keep a job for 20+ years. I definitely would be up for the challenge.

It seems Orr will be linebacker coach, Lopoi will be DL coach and Charlie Strong will be "Assistant Head Coach"...Jaguars also hired Bob Sutton as the senior defensive assistant.

Urban Meyer has really assembled a veteran pro staff around him. Definitely didn't make the mistake many thought he would with a bunch of college / inexperienced hires.
Orr was on his way to being a helluva linebacker. ****, I was excited about his trajectory.

Last edited:
from Alabama 247 reporter:

First, some notes on Scott to Minnesota. He interviewed for the defensive backs coach opening on Thursday, was offered the job on Friday and accepted it today. With another assistant coach off the board, here are some names we're hearing for Alabama's cornerbacks coach vacancy.

Aazaar Abdul-Rahim -- Boston College DB coach/defensive pass game coordinator

Derrick Ansley -- Los Angeles Chargers defensive backs coach

Doug Belk -- Houston defensive coordinator/safeties coach

Terrell Buckley -- Ole Miss cornerbacks coach

Jason Jones -- Indiana safeties coach

Jules Motinar -- South Florida cornerbacks coach

Sam Petitto -- Alabama director of personnel operations

Deshea Townsend -- Chicago Bears secondary coach

Marcus Woodson -- Florida State DB coach/defensive passing game coordinator
Doug Belk was a GA at Bama back in 2014, he learned under Kirby Smart.

He was a coach I had in my CB’s candidate thread, very good uprising recruiter, but he just got bumped up to DC for Houston this offseason. I’m sure Bama could offer him more money, but if I were Belk I’d rather be a DC in Houston than just be a foot soldier for Saban, but he’s definitely gonna be one of the guys who’s heavily considered to replace Scott.

Jules Montinar just got hired at UF like 3 weeks ago, doubt he’d leave that fast, but I’d LMAO if he did.

Marcus Woodson at FSU would be a great steal & would be great AF for us, anytime FSU loses a coach is a good thing because they don’t have the cache they used to have in being able to assemble a good staff lol.

Aazaar Abdul-Rahim is another intriguing candidate, he was also an Analyst at Bama in 2014-15 & was at Maryland with DJ Durkin & has been doing very well at Boston College with Jeff Hafley. He’s a local DC guy who’s a very good recruiter & Bama recruits the DMV area like crazy espeically at St. Frances Academy in Bmore & Dematha in PG County.

And Deshea Townsend played at Bama in the 90’s for Gene Stallings.

Advertisement
Back