OT: Youth Head Coach.

Hurricane23

Sophomore
Premium
So I just got voted to be the head coach of a 9-10 year youth football team here in New jersey. Being from south Florida you see that football is different here, but I want to bring the south Florida style of play here, fast, aggressive, relentless, attacking. I am going to use some of our own tatics ( Coach Manny's approach). This is my first time being a head coach, last year I ran the defense, and our defense was top in our league. If anyone have any suggestions that they think would help me please feel free to indulge. Wish me the best guys!

Advertisement
So I just got voted to be the head coach of a 9-10 year youth football team here in New jersey. Being from south Florida you see that football is different here, but I want to bring the south Florida style of play here, fast, aggressive, relentless, attacking. I am going to use some of our own tatics ( Coach Manny's approach). This is my first time being a head coach, last year I ran the defense, and our defense was top in our league. If anyone have any suggestions that they think would help me please feel free to indulge. Wish me the best guys!

Kick some butt!

Congrats!

My advice:

Worry more about developing the kids on your roster, as people AND as players, and worry less about wins and losses.

As much as youth coaches try to tell themselves otherwise, NOBODY cares about your winning percentage and championships.

Develop the kids with strong fundamentals. Keep their passion for the game. And be a positive role model.

It’s bigger than football!

Advertisement
Congrats!

My advice:

Worry more about developing the kids on your roster, as people AND as players, and worry less about wins and losses.

As much as youth coaches try to tell themselves otherwise, NOBODY cares about your winning percentage and championships.

Develop the kids with strong fundamentals. Keep their passion for the game. And be a positive role model.

Thanks, your words are greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
Some dudes down in SF had really good success with wishbone and T formation based power running offenses at that age level. I dont know how well it will work in NJ due to lack of horses for the backfield. Not to mention defenses with less speed and aggressiveness that are susceptible to the misdirection in those schemes. But if you can get those kids to execute either of those systems smoothly they work beautifully.

On the offense, run the daylights out of the football. I'd concentrate running between the tackles with occassional misdirection/toss/jet sweeps. Establish a good base and build on that without getting too complicated. Execution > Scheme.

As stated above, worry more about the mental development of your kids rather than wins/losses.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Congrats, man! That's awesome. You should definitely reach out this guy for input:

https://twitter.com/3yearletterman

He's a legend.

Recruit SoFlo.

Congrats!

My advice:

All.of.this.

Don't be scared to pass the ball.

One thing I noticed about youth ball, is most teams are geared to stop the run, but they suck against a well coached passing attack...what's worse is they put their worst player(s) at Safety(ies).

Oh and, don't forget about special teams, particularly the kicking game...matter of fact that's where I'd start.

Advertisement
Back