OT: Youth Head Coach.

Advertisement
So I just got voted to be the head coach of a 9-10 year youth football team here in New jersey. Being from south Florida you see that football is different here, but I want to bring the south Florida style of play here, fast, aggressive, relentless, attacking. I am going to use some of our own tatics ( Coach Manny's approach). This is my first time being a head coach, last year I ran the defense, and our defense was top in our league. If anyone have any suggestions that they think would help me please feel free to indulge. Wish me the best guys!
Keep it fun and remember, 10 year olds will be 100% only 60% of the time.

Some dudes down in SF had really good success with wishbone and T formation based power running offenses at that age level. I dont know how well it will work in NJ due to lack of horses for the backfield. Not to mention defenses with less speed and aggressiveness that are susceptible to the misdirection in those schemes. But if you can get those kids to execute either of those systems smoothly they work beautifully.
It'll work fine. Jersey football us better than you think.

We smashed a team from Montclair NJ that hadn't been beaten in 3 yrs.

Drop bags and get some SoFL horses up there immediately.

Advertisement
Be organized (always have a practice plan)! You'd be surprised how many Youth HC's and staffs just wing it. Focus on fundamentals, if you can't block and tackle...that's a problem! Small group teaching is also important, where all the kids are involved and not 20 kids standing around all practice.

I would say do your best at giving the kids motivation to have fun and give their all from the start of practice to the end. If you reject laziness from the kids, the parents will definitely love you for it.

Advertisement
Don't be scared to pass the ball.

One thing I noticed about youth ball, is most teams are geared to stop the run, but they suck against a well coached passing attack...what's worse is they put their worst player(s) at Safety(ies).

Oh and, don't forget about special teams, particularly the kicking game...matter of fact that's where I'd start.

Word up! I'm implementing some pass plays as we speak, I have some really decent athletes. I have them all summer for camp too, so we'll be able to get a lot of work in.

Advertisement

Give it your all because you can come back to coach year after year, but these kids are only 10,11, and 12 one time. Fundamentals will win games and develop them into football players. Also be careful making rules because you best players will be the first to break them and even though it seems wise to bench them (assuming your rules are overboard) and it is a TEAM and they want to win. And most important, if you get a star, turn him into a Miami Hurricane!

Oh, and don;t be afraid to ask for help if you know any experienced coaches or former great players, I coached a girls softball team and had an ex-major league player help me. My girls could not catch, throw, hit or pitch but by the end of the first year we won our regional championship.

Advertisement

At that age passing the ball should be used to attack a specific weakness or bad habit a player or scheme is showing. Set teams up for a pass off of some bread and butter run looks. You should be under center >90% of the time, which means you are asking a 9/10 yr old to drop, set, and hit moving targets accurately.

From my experience I find it hard to believe you could throw the ball with any real consistency at that age. If you go to the gun I'm just going to destroy your center every snap and the ball will be on the ground shortly. Unless you have a very teachable, talented kid throwing the ball you are going to throw away a lot of possessions and maybe even games trying to pitch it around the yard.

If you have a high level of execution in a good run based system you should be able to scheme up a handful of plays a game that will get your receiver(s) wide *** open and get your QB a simple read and throw for a big gain. Beyond that I think the passing game at that age is fool's gold.

If you have to have pass plays, keep them short, high percentage plays that synergize with your run plays, (23 PA Pass, Fk Jet Sweep, etc.)

..I still say run the ball right down their throats though.

Advertisement
Back