OT why is butch barry succeding with the Dolphins but was a flop here?

Advertisement
The NFL & College are 2 different games.

Being a good Coach in one, doesn’t mean you’re going to be good in the other.

See Urby Meyer

True story.
And sometimes coaches who flopped at the college level do better at the NFL level. Plus in the NFL, most if not all teams are 2-3 deep at the positional coaches level.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Barry did a terrible job with the Broncos as well.
very true. Going from Munchak to him was a huge step down.

He would apparently leave post it notes in his players lockers with notes and feedback rather than discuss it in meetings. Truly awful. My guess is he still sucks but their system is masking it for now

How do I say this politely... no, none of what the Dolphins are doing can and should be attributed to Butch Barry.

There's McDaniel, Hill and Waddle and then about 85 miles later, there may be Butch Barry. But only maybe.

Advertisement
BUTCH BARRY WILL BE COLORADO OL COACH NEXT YEAR
Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

His OC was Dan Enos and he didn’t have a ton to work with.

He identified Zion out of high school, so he gets some credit for that.
Dan Enos had barely functioning retarded guys in his QB room. I absolutely hated the Enos hire, but by the end of his time here I almost felt sorry for him.

I don't know if he's good or not but it's not all about pass protection. He must be doing something decent in the run blocking.

I'm not football guru, but I remember him being railed here, because his lines were pretty bad. Guess my question is.... is there something about his techniques that uniquely transfer to the NFL that just don't work for college ball?
Bruh, We rail EVERYONE here! That's the CIS way. To try and answer your question.... NFL coaches have way more time with players to teach their techniques..., and yes, they are coaching much better talent. And I know we don't think so on this board, but people (including coaches) do get better at their craft, if they work on it, and are willing to learn. We seem to think that if a dude was terrible here, he's gonna be terrible everywhere else. That's a false narrative and simply not true, all of the time. There are a lot of variables at play (scheme, talent, which kids you're allowed to recruit and sign, the head coach, the OC, experience, family situation, money, location, etc.). Just like players are always working to get better, coaches should too. This is at every level. I know I do. Even though I been coaching high school ball, for well over 20 years, I'm still in the lab, bruh. Trying to find stuff that I don't know about. Trying to get better. Always trying to learn. This man has been successful at other places. Just because he was not thought as a good coach here, does not mean that he will suck the rest of his career.

Advertisement
I'd say it's to early to judge. The phins have traditionally started fast and faded as the season goes on. If that happens again it will probably be due to injuries and lack of depth on the line due to all the draft misses. Tunsil was the last good o line pick.

I will add undersized to that list. Hated when people would say we had a “small but athletic” OLine. That’s like saying you have a slow but nimble race car.
I'm not disagreeing with your point, but that analogy is a bit off. People love racing Miatas because it's more fun to go fast in a slow car than slow in a fast car.

Mike McDaniel does a great job tailoring a scheme that best hides his lines' weaknesses. He doesn't ask Tua to take seven step drops and make 5 reads. Everything is quick. Get your read, get the ball out, bang bang. A lot of credit goes to Tua because he processes fast and throws with almost perfect anticipation so he can get the ball out quickly, where it needs to be, before the receiver has even beaten coverage. They use their speed at running back by running a lot of outside zone. They don't require their linemen to win one on one battles. They just need to get in the way. It's a perfect example of a coach knowing what he's got and designing an offense that works around it. Instead of a coach who has an offense and complains he doesn't have the players to run it.

Advertisement
I'm not disagreeing with your point, but that analogy is a bit off. People love racing Miatas because it's more fun to go fast in a slow car than slow in a fast car.
I was going to make a similar point. There's plenty of racing that doesn't involve very powerful cars. They're usually light weight with small powerplants but they handle very well. My friend races SCCA and every car in his class uses a 2.0 NA I-4 motor. Very little torque or horsepower but because they're in tiny, lightweight open-wheeled cars, they handle race tracks very well.

I'm not football guru, but I remember him being railed here, because his lines were pretty bad. Guess my question is.... is there something about his techniques that uniquely transfer to the NFL that just don't work for college ball?

Maybe he just didn't have good players in his one season he was here.
Also remember this is the same fan base that railed against Stoutland while he was here.

This is simple. Position coaches do not look good when the coordinator and/or head coach aren't good. Conversely, position coaches usually look good when the coordinator and/or head coach are very good. Ever wonder why all of Urban and Saban's hires get better gigs? CanesInsight doesn't understand this and blames position coaches for its unit's failures despite the fact that it likely falls at the feet of the coordinator and head coach (most of whom we've had here in the last 2 decades have totally stunk).

HIll is a hall of famer. Waddle is very good. McDaniel designs plays well. Tua is highly accurate to 15 yards.

He's a one-read QB, but when that read works, it's great. That's how the entire offense is designed.

Woah. This Tua take is pretty bad. Tua is the most accurate deep ball passer in the league through hist last 17 or so starts. (I believe he was 2nd last season and leads by a wide margin already this season). This season, he leads the NFL already in passes beyond the sticks, accuracy beyond the sticks, most air yards behind the sticks, and most overall yards. Hill's yards gained per run have actually increased in his time in Miami.

Tim Jenkins has great breakdown of every qb every week and has Tua Tuesdays. Tua is nit a one read qb. McDaniels' offense is built on fast reads and Tua processes defenses and coverages faster than most qbs.

OT, some coaches are just bad fits. Yes, Tua, Hill, amd McDaniels offense helps the oline. But they are much better this season than they have been in the past. The Mostert long td run was all oline. The double teamed the dline and Austin Jackson peeled off and sealed the LB opening a massive lane. That just didn't happen before.

Advertisement
Back