OT why is butch barry succeding with the Dolphins but was a flop here?

Woah. This Tua take is pretty bad. Tua is the most accurate deep ball passer in the league through hist last 17 or so starts. (I believe he was 2nd last season and leads by a wide margin already this season). This season, he leads the NFL already in passes beyond the sticks, accuracy beyond the sticks, most air yards behind the sticks, and most overall yards. Hill's yards gained per run have actually increased in his time in Miami.

Tim Jenkins has great breakdown of every qb every week and has Tua Tuesdays. Tua is nit a one read qb. McDaniels' offense is built on fast reads and Tua processes defenses and coverages faster than most qbs.

OT, some coaches are just bad fits. Yes, Tua, Hill, amd McDaniels offense helps the oline. But they are much better this season than they have been in the past. The Mostert long td run was all oline. The double teamed the dline and Austin Jackson peeled off and sealed the LB opening a massive lane. That just didn't happen before.
I've read Jenkins' site. It's good. But, we're going to have to agree to disagree. McDaniels' system, combined with TWO receivers who are speedy, efficient route runners elevates Tua far more than he elevates the players around him. I expect Tua's production to crater when he loses one or more of those elements around him. I'd love for him to prove me wrong; there's no better chance than this season for the Dolphins to win.

Advertisement
I've read Jenkins' site. It's good. But, we're going to have to agree to disagree. McDaniels' system, combined with TWO receivers who are speedy, efficient route runners elevates Tua far more than he elevates the players around him. I expect Tua's production to crater when he loses one or more of those elements around him. I'd love for him to prove me wrong; there's no better chance than this season for the Dolphins to win.
NFL DCs are very good at adapting to what offenses are doing and to expect Miami to be able to play this way all year is a stretch. Miamis running game is based on the threat of the wrs. Miami didn't win with Marino playing this way, ill be surprised if it happens now.

Also. Tua is one concussion away from possibly ending his career and to expect the o line to hold up all year is fantasy.

NFL DCs are very good at adapting to what offenses are doing and to expect Miami to be able to play this way all year is a stretch. Miamis running game is based on the threat of the wrs. Miami didn't win with Marino playing this way, ill be surprised if it happens now.

Also. Tua is one concussion away from possibly ending his career and to expect the o line to hold up all year is fantasy.
The Fins won in week 2 completely different than they won in week 1. That's an offense that can adapt to defenses. That's also without their best OL while facing three of the best edge rushers in the league.

Also, Tua's concussion history is very exaggerated. He had 2 confirmed probably 3 last year and that's it. Aaron Rodgers has had years like that and he's in the league at 40. Anthony Richardson just had two in two weeks. It happens. Dolphins will be fine this year.

The Fins won in week 2 completely different than they won in week 1. That's an offense that can adapt to defenses. That's also without their best OL while facing three of the best edge rushers in the league.

Also, Tua's concussion history is very exaggerated. He had 2 confirmed probably 3 last year and that's it. Aaron Rodgers has had years like that and he's in the league at 40. Anthony Richardson just had two in two weeks. It happens. Dolphins will be fine this year.
Well, the bolts bds played closer to the line of scrimmage and more man to man. So the phins went deep.

The patsies played off the ball with the safties deep and didn't give up the long ball. Miami didn't throw the long ball, but took what the d gave them, short passes. Miami still ran the same offense, but adapted to what the d was doing.

Miamis offense is about the speed of the wrs putting pressure on the secondary and not allowing teams to stack the box. Depending on where they line up will determine the routes run.

Advertisement
I'm not football guru, but I remember him being railed here, because his lines were pretty bad. Guess my question is.... is there something about his techniques that uniquely transfer to the NFL that just don't work for college ball?
Change the bodies in the room and you look better as a coach. Just because your line is bad doesn't mean you aren't properly teaching it. It's a mix sometimes.

There you go

IDK, the OL sucked for almost 20 years. Just a bunch of soft, weak, sad pile of excuses. Many OL coaches sucked with us but were successful elsewhere.
Biggest name I can think of that was below average here but stellar everywhere else since is Jeff Stoutland. We have plenty of guys like that who have come through here and succeeded elsewhere. Just a whole other level of bad the past 20 years.

It's all Mike McD don't be fooled. His system has dudes wide open within 2-3 seconds. I am a Bills fan but the Dolphins have a young skinny Andy Reid as HC.

Advertisement
Barry's time at UM (1 year?) was historically bad in terms of the ineptitude of the OL. And considering the last 15 years or so that's saying something. The mitigating factors were talent, significant inexperience, and scheme. Guilt by association? I cringed upon hearing of Barry's hire with the Dolphins.
With one of the leakiest OL perhaps in college football history, defenses feasted one on one, and additionally poured it on with blitz schemes as the overwhelmed, under talented, green OL foundered again and again. Did Dan Enos adjust his 'attack' to add more protection? Not at all as I recall. And as mentioned, the young qb's were clueless. Complete sh**show. Ineptitude across the board - OC, OL, scheme, and lispy-a** politician for a head coach. Just can't discern what degree of responsibility to lay at Butch Barry's feet.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back