OT why is butch barry succeding with the Dolphins but was a flop here?

I'm not football guru, but I remember him being railed here, because his lines were pretty bad. Guess my question is.... is there something about his techniques that uniquely transfer to the NFL that just don't work for college ball?

Advertisement
good/bad offensive schemes can help / hurt any OL

only 2 starting qb's have less pocket time than Tua so far this year, so wouldn't say he's exactly killing it but clearly he's not causing harm (yet)

Advertisement
No two circumstances are the same. McDaniel’s and Enos’ offense’s couldn’t be farther apart. The latter didn’t do very much to help him, that’s for sure, asking a TFr left tackle to hold blocks for 7 step drops.

Advertisement
The Dolphins offense attempts to minimize the OL's shortcomings. More of the latter will be visible as the year goes on. The line isn't anything great.
Yep it’s the combination of scheme and Tua processing and getting the ball out quickly.

A couple of the highlights against the Chargers the lineman got beat but Tua already had the ball out.

That dime to Berrios against the Pats he was under immense pressure but Tua has elite pocket presence.

This is such an underrated skill for QBs. Watching years of Tannehill take sacks help me appreciate Tua so much.

Advertisement
Did he evaluate and identify talent well? Did he land top recruits? Nope… I don’t care how good a techniques coach you are you need quality ingredients to bake a winning cake.

Advertisement
McKinney and Romberg thought the techniques he taught were joke, but idk what that’s worth this day and age.

Yep it’s the combination of scheme and Tua processing and getting the ball out quickly.

A couple of the highlights against the Chargers the lineman got beat but Tua already had the ball out.

That dime to Berrios against the Pats he was under immense pressure but Tua has elite pocket presence.

This is such an underrated skill for QBs. Watching years of Tannehill take sacks help me appreciate Tua so much.
HIll is a hall of famer. Waddle is very good. McDaniel designs plays well. Tua is highly accurate to 15 yards.

He's a one-read QB, but when that read works, it's great. That's how the entire offense is designed.

IDK, the OL sucked for almost 20 years. Just a bunch of soft, weak, sad pile of excuses. Many OL coaches sucked with us but were successful elsewhere.
I will add undersized to that list. Hated when people would say we had a “small but athletic” OLine. That’s like saying you have a slow but nimble race car.

Advertisement
Back