OT: What Team Loses the Biggest Homefield Advantage if No Fans?

Was having an interesting (well to me at least) debate with one of my boys via text earlier. Theoretically- if CFB plays games with little or no fans this year, which program does that hurt the most in relation to their stadium atmosphere elevating their level of play/diminishing their opponents?

He said LSU but my counter was that they're good on paper many years regardless of the added bump of Death Valley.

I said Vag Tech at night at home but in an empty stadium would've been an average opponent many seasons.

So basically we're talking which program really relies on their homefield advantage not necessarily which place has the greatest environment.

Thoughts?

I think it has to be Big 10 teams like Ped State and Michigan, who derive much of their misguided sense of supremacy from their crowd sizes. They think they are so good (and Ohio Taint is that good), but Ped State and Michigan will probably suffer without all those dimwitted northern hicks to urge them along.

Advertisement
Clemson.The loudest stadium I've ever been to. If you went to the 2005 game, you'll know what I'm taking about.
My dad has a college buddy who now lives there and he goes to one game a year down there. He was at the Saturday night game with Louisville and Lamar Jackson and said he couldn't take it in the 2nd quarter. His head hurt the rest of the game from the noise.

Advertisement
Was having an interesting (well to me at least) debate with one of my boys via text earlier. Theoretically- if CFB plays games with little or no fans this year, which program does that hurt the most in relation to their stadium atmosphere elevating their level of play/diminishing their opponents?

He said LSU but my counter was that they're good on paper many years regardless of the added bump of Death Valley.

I said Vag Tech at night at home but in an empty stadium would've been an average opponent many seasons.

So basically we're talking which program really relies on their homefield advantage not necessarily which place has the greatest environment.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure who loses the home field advantage but I do know it won't hurt us, in fact, we'll probably just end up with more penalties cause now the ref's will be able to hear everything, and once we start giving teams the business and letting em know about it, look out for the yellow cloths!

I'm not sure who loses the home field advantage but I do know it won't hurt us, in fact, we'll probably just end up with more penalties cause now the ref's will be able to hear everything, and once we start giving teams the business and letting em know about it, look out for the yellow cloths!

Coaches are going to have to teach these kids to keep their mouthpieces in all game long. For multiple reasons.

I was also trying to think if this is applicable to any teams out West. Maybe Washington?

Advertisement
Washington, Syracuse, Oregon, PSU at night, Texas A&M come to mind beyond the obvious LSU, Clemson etc.

Kyle Field is an absolute madhouse.. it doesn’t get enough credit but A&M’s homefield advantage is nuts. I was there a lot when Johnny football was playing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nicely played.

We......ARE...."Rhythmic Slapping"....We.....ARE........

The thing is, if it was a game for all the marbles, say something like a conference championship or even a coastal ship, we can be just as, if not even more influential, in terms of crowd effect than any school in the country. Don’t even look at the Notre Dame game from 2017. Because that’s always going to get a big excited crowd. Look at the Virginia Tech game. That’s the type of game we could get. I’m just saying that when Miami is on, the crowd is like no other.

The taste I got from going consecutively to the Virginia Tech and Notre Dame games, left me hungry for us getting back to that place.

Advertisement
Back