OT: What Team Loses the Biggest Homefield Advantage if No Fans?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Was having an interesting (well to me at least) debate with one of my boys via text earlier. Theoretically- if CFB plays games with little or no fans this year, which program does that hurt the most in relation to their stadium atmosphere elevating their level of play/diminishing their opponents?

He said LSU but my counter was that they're good on paper many years regardless of the added bump of Death Valley.

I said Vag Tech at night at home but in an empty stadium would've been an average opponent many seasons.

So basically we're talking which program really relies on their homefield advantage not necessarily which place has the greatest environment.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Another angle is how quickly teams accustomed to loud home crowds adjust? The no-to-sparse crowd may seem odd the first game or two, but perhaps no issue by mid-season.

Interesting topic, rife for speculation.

Where the student section is laid out, would be a factor IMO, as would where the majority of opposing fans sit. Stadium size, slope (or "steepness") of the bleachers, "loudness" factor (effectively the ability to retain and reverberate noise). There are just a crazy amount of variables.

If you're talking about which team "relies upon" their home field advantage, I'd definitely say VT is a big one. Surprised Clemson hasn't been mentioned yet. Would throw Florida in there as well, even though they managed to lose to Georgia Southern there, without allowing a completed pass.

Amazing.

Advertisement
Was having an interesting (well to me at least) debate with one of my boys via text earlier. Theoretically- if CFB plays games with little or no fans this year, which program does that hurt the most in relation to their stadium atmosphere elevating their level of play/diminishing their opponents?

He said LSU but my counter was that they're good on paper many years regardless of the added bump of Death Valley.

I said Vag Tech at night at home but in an empty stadium would've been an average opponent many seasons.

So basically we're talking which program really relies on their homefield advantage not necessarily which place has the greatest environment.

Thoughts?
Pedo State

Advertisement
Daytime - FSpoo, if you ever been on the field when the chop pops, the whole stadium feels like it is coming down on u.

Night - Hard to argue against VaTech

Clemson is not that bad, Carolina schools are ok, same with Louisville and Cuse if they’re winning, GaTech, BC and Pitt all stink.

Semper Canes!!!

Thoughts?

I was going to say VT when I read the thread title. Maybe someone like UNC.

Though my limited knowledge would steer towards an ACC team.

Advertisement
Clemson.The loudest stadium I've ever been to. If you went to the 2005 game, you'll know what I'm taking about.

Advertisement
1. Yes, I have
2. ****, I don't remember seeing FAMU anywhere on our schedule. Didn't know we needed a huge crowd to beat them either.

I mean a could go on and on. Were you at the GT game last year? The crowd really helped with that game.

Miami has notoriously been bad for most games and I have been going to games since 1979. When we are decent and prime time yep pretty **** good otherwise pathetic.

Advertisement
Back