OT: what school would you send ur kid to en dade

Belen is in line with a BC High, Catholic Memorial or Xaverian. Belmont Hill, Nobles, St. Sebastian’s, Milton Academy... $50g’s. Steep loot after taxes baby. Columbus sounds like a bargain. I mean zero harm in that comment Columbus people.

belen is under 20, no where near 50. carrollton, gulliver, ransom are probably get close to the 50s

Advertisement
Ransom really isn’t worth the tuition. And the other ones definitely are not. The kids at ransom get into good colleges because they were already smart to begin with. You need to take a standardized test to get in, so it’s screened from the beginning. Those kids would have done just as well anywhere if they have a wealthy family and are already smart. What you are paying for is not any type of special education, it’s for being surrounded by a student body and having a country club like atmosphere. That’s the truth. I went to ransom, and I can honestly say I’d rather have gone to a public and had my parents just invest the tuition money and give me the total at graduation. You need to think hard when paying these huge sums whether your kid is better off having that financial nest egg starting out in the world or a private education. I think most of the time the money would help a kid more. But if you are so **** rich money means nothing, then yeah you may as well go to have smart peers and a beautiful campus. But just don’t be tricked that that’s the only place you can learn. Especially because high school education is very basic anyway. Not really life changing ****. And lots of kids have legacy to ivies, so they would have gotten the same SAT and legacy no matter where they went.

Having sampled many of Dade County's finest it completely depends on the kid and their aptitudes and interests. An artistic kid is different than a kid interested in science. Kids with learning disabilities might thrive with certain support systems while high achievers might need specific challenges to keep engaged. Budget is also a big differentiator unfortunately.

belen is under 20, no where near 50. carrollton, gulliver, ransom are probably get close to the 50s
Lot of loot. I went to Avon Old Farms for a year but got aid, the old man would have had to rob a bank for me to PG at the funny farm. He is from the bank robbery capital of the world so he probably could have robbed a bank or a truck.

Ransom really isn’t worth the tuition. And the other ones definitely are not. The kids at ransom get into good colleges because they were already smart to begin with. You need to take a standardized test to get in, so it’s screened from the beginning. Those kids would have done just as well anywhere if they have a wealthy family and are already smart. What you are paying for is not any type of special education, it’s for being surrounded by a student body and having a country club like atmosphere. That’s the truth. I went to ransom, and I can honestly say I’d rather have gone to a public and had my parents just invest the tuition money and give me the total at graduation. You need to think hard when paying these huge sums whether your kid is better off having that financial nest egg starting out in the world or a private education. I think most of the time the money would help a kid more. But if you are so **** rich money means nothing, then yeah you may as well go to have smart peers and a beautiful campus. But just don’t be tricked that that’s the only place you can learn. Especially because high school education is very basic anyway. Not really life changing ****. And lots of kids have legacy to ivies, so they would have gotten the same SAT and legacy no matter where they went.
In your camp 1,000%

Advertisement
I don't doubt that local high schools are doing well in terms of testing and other criteria, but in terms of the caliber of people surrounding your kid I'd be wary considering most of Miami-Dade is a third world country.

I always LAUGH at this....Parents pay all kind of money for their kids to go to private schools only to hang around public school kids...and got to COLLEGE with the same public school kids they supposedly avoided.

Hey it worked out for me though..all my homies from the private schools invited me over to the parties that we smashed all your private school daughters at lmao

Great post. I think with a lot of the schools we're talking about here that the greatest advantage isn't to the upper echelon students at all. As you said, those kids were going to excel and get into elite colleges disirregardless of what high school they attended.

I think the kids that benefit most (if college acceptance is our barometer) are the "average" students at these schools. Instead of UM or UiF being their absolute best options they instead get to choose between Emory or Tulane or Boston University/etc.

Advertisement
Lot of loot. I went to Avon Old Farms for a year but got aid, the old man would have had to rob a bank for me to PG at the funny farm. He is from the bank robbery capital of the world so he probably could have robbed a bank or a truck.

Where is the bank robbery capital of the world?

Where is the bank robbery capital of the world?
Charlestown. The moniker was given back in the 70’s and 80’s when guys were robbing banks and trucks all the time. It was also a big Angel Dust enclave. The movie “The Town” was based on Charlestown. The town lived by “the code of silence”. If a guy got murdered in a bar and 30 people were in the bar... 30 people and the bartender were generally in the bathroom when the murder was committed. It has since become an affluent section of Boston but some of the “Townies” still remain. My father is nuts and he is considered “normal”. The other sections of Boston generally knew not to “F” with Charlestown kids. I was at a parade over there with the old man and he ran into a guy who had not seen in many years. The guy asked matter of fact, “when did you get out?” Classic.

Advertisement
Don't hold me to it as I'm sure there are better sources/alumni of those two schools on here but I think Belen ends up being a little over $20k per year and Columbus is like $12k. I have zero idea how prevalent or generous financial aid is either school.

Nonetheless, this is probably "cheap" compared to many of the private schools already mentioned here. Ransom's tuition is probably on par with a lot of private universities. Miami Country Day as well.
If you play football @ Columbus financial aid is REAL generous - school makes very good use of McKay Scholarships

Palmetto grad. Was 144th in my class and I got a full ride to the state schools and the Merrick scholarship from UM, I'm now an Optometrist. My best friend was somewhere in the 30s in the class and went to Duke. Valedictorian and saludatorian both had 1600s on their SATs. One went to MIT and is on the forefront of cancer research.

If you have money private is fine. If money is an issue, Palmetto can get your kid anywhere they want to go.
curious (i guess you may be a little biased but its fine) palmetto vs coral reef. obviously gave a really good argument for palmetto

Advertisement
A lot of you touting Gables...

Its not a bad school by any means...some of their tracks and magnet programs are good, but they are still a B or C school most years (had a few A years a while back).

If you're already a good, self directed reader with good parents...Gables probably a good spot. If you're a GenPop student, its no different then every other public school in Dade. On the other hand...Palmetto always an A or B school (and their B years are usually very close to A).

If you're a GenPop student, there are a few solid high schools you'd likely love to be zoned to, but the reality is, in Dade, if you are a regular student, you probably should look to get into a few of the top charters in the county.

curious (i guess you may be a little biased but its fine) palmetto vs coral reef. obviously gave a really good argument for palmetto
Coral Reef...and Im saying this as a fan of Palmetto. They have a larger variety of programs and their scores for their AP and other testing are off the charts. Their average SAT scores and ACT scores are higher as well. However...they have about 3500 students and Palmetto has about 2500 for what its worth. And Palmetto has a better sports program all around.

Advertisement
Back