OT: what school would you send ur kid to en dade

Palmetto grad. Was 144th in my class and I got a full ride to the state schools and the Merrick scholarship from UM, I'm now an Optometrist. My best friend was somewhere in the 30s in the class and went to Duke. Valedictorian and saludatorian both had 1600s on their SATs. One went to MIT and is on the forefront of cancer research.

If you have money private is fine. If money is an issue, Palmetto can get your kid anywhere they want to go.

Had a student-athlete that was roughly a fifth grade reading level by 10th grade...went to Palmetto and in a year was passing FSA with a 3.

Palmetto is a strong public school.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There are plenty of good schools in Miami-Dade County both private, charter, and public.

But as @Savage Cane said, even the best are still short staffed and overpopulated.

Also, there are very few children that will overcome bad parenting and there is no price you can pay to send your kid to the best school possible that will undo ****ty parenting that you will be surrounded by no matter the school.

Every time I see a thinkpiece of the schools, teachers, the education system...the first thing I think about is how none of these pieces touch upon the swarth of human beings being raised by bum parents. There are very few students that will be inspired and re-programmed by a teacher. The lack of real world prep in schools will not do a lick of good when we have students going home to no one worth a ****.

With all of the criticisms about our education system...most of which are justified...the one I don't get is the one that wants schools to "do more"...at what point do you stop asking schools to make up for ****ty parenting?

Spot on. Parenting Standards = Massive elephant in the room. ✔️

IMO

Procreating should be liscensed, & that liscense should be renewed more often than your Drivers Liscense.

Some of the ****e i see is borderline criminal in the degree of detriment to a kids development. The are the very people in charge of rearing these kids & producing functional members of society.

Strange Days aka Borderline Retarded Days

I grew up in Broward, but knew some kids from Killian that turned out to be rather successful.

But the fact no one here mentioned it on their list makes me think perhaps it's gone downhill or something.

jaquan-johnson-sheldrick-redwine-mirror-1000.jpg

Had a student-athlete that was roughly a fifth grade reading level by 10th grade...went to Palmetto and in a year was passing FSA with a 1.

Palmetto is a strong public school.

IMO

Palmetto HS is an anomaly due to the demographic & socioeconomic set up in the Pinecrest / S Miami area. It's old Miami, & one of the last bastions of a once quiet, & generally educated town. A sunny place for shady people as it would come to be known. .

Maybe I'm waxing peotic. But i sure as fack can tell u a miniscule percentage of Public School ( non magnet ) students are getting even a remotely useable edu. Not for college. Much less for real life.

Advertisement
I mean **** you get what u pay for as far as schools go in dade county. The best high schools all cost $$.
Don't know about that - Westminster pretty pricey and not impressed with the academics
Ransom and Palmer Trinity your paying and getting premium education

Ransom
Palmer
Belen
Columbus
Gulliver
Country Day
Westminster
MAST
Lourdes
Carrollton

LOL at sending your kid to a public school that isn't Gables or Palmetto
Coral Reef leaves both of those schools in the dust, and MAST is public too. New World, DASH are good, South Miami is ok.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’d look at my son, realize I actually care about him, and then move us all up to the nicer area which produces the most NFL talent in the free world: BROWARD COUNTY.

As many have said, Ransom is far and away the best school in the county, possibly the state.

Other good options like Gulliver, Palmer Trinity, Westminster Christian, Palmetto, Columbus, Belen, Country Day....Personally, outside of palmetto and gables, I'm not sending my kid to a public school in Miami

My kids have long graduated and are doing very well for themselves....

BUT IF I were starting over in Dade 🤔....I would want to make sure and give them the best education possible....

So I'd home school 🤣😇😎

Advertisement
The thing I don't necessarily get and I alluded to initially are the people that are upper middle class that are spending out the culo for some private school tuition.

For example, I know two separate families with three kids each that have paid a ton of money annually to send their kids to Columbus and Belen respectively but they remain living in West Miami. They both have very nice houses and the neighborhoods are fine but they definitely could afford much better if that tuition money was being diverted to mortgage money. I'd assume most people would prefer home ownership in Palmetto Bay/etc. while getting (imo) a similar quality free education at Palmetto.

I think you see a lot of family tradition and social pressure directing these choices for the second tier type of private/parochial schools in Dade. I highly doubt the primary draw is the specific need for the Catholic/Jesuit influence in their kids secondary education.

Then again, my opinions are obviously anecdotal as I've lived in Coward County for the last decade. Go STA.
How much do they cost? Reason for my question is the following. Up here, ISL Schools (Private) cost 45-55g’s annually. Catholic Schools cost 18-23g’s annually.

Advertisement
Columbus Mas Program is top notch - rest is an average education in a nice controlled setting.

How much do they cost? Reason for my question is the following. Up here, ISL Schools (Private) cost 45-55g’s annually. Catholic Schools cost 18-23g’s annually.

Don't hold me to it as I'm sure there are better sources/alumni of those two schools on here but I think Belen ends up being a little over $20k per year and Columbus is like $12k. I have zero idea how prevalent or generous financial aid is either school.

Nonetheless, this is probably "cheap" compared to many of the private schools already mentioned here. Ransom's tuition is probably on par with a lot of private universities. Miami Country Day as well.

Don't hold me to it as I'm sure there are better sources/alumni of those two schools on here but I think Belen ends up being a little over $20k per year and Columbus is like $12k. I have zero idea how prevalent or generous financial aid is either school.

Nonetheless, this is probably "cheap" compared to many of the private schools already mentioned here. Ransom's tuition is probably on par with a lot of private universities. Miami Country Day as well.
Belen is in line with a BC High, Catholic Memorial or Xaverian. Belmont Hill, Nobles, St. Sebastian’s, Milton Academy... $50g’s. Steep loot after taxes baby. Columbus sounds like a bargain. I mean zero harm in that comment Columbus people.

Advertisement
Back