Gulliver
Country Day
Westminster
MAST
Lourdes
Carrollton

LOL at sending your kid to a public school that isn't Gables or Palmetto
I hear this alot, and it's more myth. Trust me

Theres probably at least 5 public high schools better than Gables or Palmetto down here. Dont be fooled my brother by perception.

The vast majority of high schools in dade are doing good work and sending plenty of kids to the ivy leagues or equivalent. A surprisingly high number of kids are dual enrolled and graduating with associates. Most importantly, if you have a special needs child with and iep or 504, you're probably better off in a public school believe it or not.

The public elementary and high schools have gone a looooong way in Dade. There aren't many I'd actively avoid as a parent.

The middle schools? Not so much.

Theres probably at least 5 public high schools better than Gables or Palmetto down here. Dont be fooled my brother by perception.

The vast majority of high schools in dade are doing good work and sending plenty of kids to the ivy leagues or equivalent. A surprisingly high number of kids are dual enrolled and graduating with associates. Most importantly, if you have a special needs child with and iep or 504, you're probably better off in a public school believe it or not.

The public elementary and high schools have gone a looooong way in Dade. There aren't many I'd actively avoid as a parent.

The specialty/charter type schools in Dade are almost unparalleled in the country as far as the amount of excellent ones concentrated in a single county.

I'll defer to you about the other public high schools but I still stand by my Palmetto recommendation as it's the top ranked (take these ranking for what they're worth obv) "normal" high school in an extremely desirable area to live. It's only behind Coral Reef which always ranks high but I admittedly don't know much about- is it a charter type school too?

The specialty/charter type schools in Dade are almost unparalleled in the country as far as the amount of excellent ones concentrated in a single county.

I'll defer to you about the other public high schools but I still stand by my Palmetto recommendation as it's the top ranked (take these ranking for what they're worth obv) "normal" high school in an extremely desirable area to live. It's only behind Coral Reef which always ranks high but I admittedly don't know much about- is it a charter type school too?

Palmetto is absolutely a Tier 1 High School. Not taking anything away from them at all. Amazing school.

Ultimately, from my experience, education begins and ends at home. Some of the smartest students I've EVER encountered attended inner city F rated toilet bowls. These kids were virtually teaching themselves and still managed to hitch a ride to Stanford, Duke, Harvard, Cornell, etc. I noticed the brightest students at every school I've worked with almost always had a few common denominators:

1. They were all self directed readers. They read because they wanted to, not because they were forced or assigned.

2. They all had someone besides themselves keeping up and staying on top of them (and this is the important part) and their teachers about their academics.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I don't doubt that local high schools are doing well in terms of testing and other criteria, but in terms of the caliber of people surrounding your kid I'd be wary considering most of Miami-Dade is a third world country.

I don't doubt that local high schools are doing well in terms of testing and other criteria, but in terms of the caliber of people surrounding your kid I'd be wary considering most of Miami-Dade is a third world country.
Unfortunately, I can't really argue with you on this point. Believe me I want to, but this is the biggest area of improvement MDCPS needs to address.

Palmetto is absolutely a Tier 1 High School. Not taking anything away from them at all. Amazing school.

Ultimately, from my experience, education begins and ends at home. Some of the smartest students I've EVER encountered attended inner city F rated toilet bowls. These kids were virtually teaching themselves and still managed to hitch a ride to Stanford, Duke, Harvard, Cornell, etc. I noticed the brightest students at every school I've worked with almost always had had a few common denominators:

1. They were all self directed readers. They read because they wanted to, not because they were forced or assigned.

2. They all had someone besides themselves keeping up and staying on top of them (and this is the important part) their teachers about their academics.

The thing I don't necessarily get and I alluded to initially are the people that are upper middle class that are spending out the culo for some private school tuition.

For example, I know two separate families with three kids each that have paid a ton of money annually to send their kids to Columbus and Belen respectively but they remain living in West Miami. They both have very nice houses and the neighborhoods are fine but they definitely could afford much better if that tuition money was being diverted to mortgage money. I'd assume most people would prefer home ownership in Palmetto Bay/etc. while getting (imo) a similar quality free education at Palmetto.

I think you see a lot of family tradition and social pressure directing these choices for the second tier type of private/parochial schools in Dade. I highly doubt the primary draw is the specific need for the Catholic/Jesuit influence in their kids secondary education.

Then again, my opinions are obviously anecdotal as I've lived in Coward County for the last decade. Go STA.

Advertisement
I grew up in Broward, but knew some kids from Killian that turned out to be rather successful.

But the fact no one here mentioned it on their list makes me think perhaps it's gone downhill or something.

Advertisement
Dade County Public high schools are a mess, magnet programs have destroyed the concept of a strong community based school,
as has the 'parental choice' option. School grades are extremely misleading as are the soaring graduation rates, considering that
students are now taking 8 credits / year [ for 4 years of high school ] and are only required 24 credits to graduate, not to mention that fact that schools are graduating kids that have 30 plus absences / year on a regular basis. You better have a 90% graduate rate when the bar is set so low,
as far as charter schools go, many of those teaching in these profit driven institutions were fired from the public school system.

Ransom
Palmer
Belen
Columbus
Gulliver
Country Day
Westminster
MAST
Lourdes
Carrollton

LOL at sending your kid to a public school that isn't Gables or Palmetto
Gables is not the building it once was, most of the traditional Gables kids are now at the private schools you've listed

Advertisement
It went all the way to 12th. They had a few state basketball championships in the 70s. But yes, it was by where the police station is now

Police station was there when I attended in its last year. 1981 I believe. The field trip was across the street to the police station, I was in 1st grade so I didn’t remember any big kids.

Police station was there when I attended in its last year. 1981 I believe. The field trip was across the street to the police station, I was in 1st grade so I didn’t remember any big kids.
I vaguely remember it being built during my time there in the mid 70s. Also a Mercedes dealership if memory serves.

Funny part is that my parents worked for the school system. Dade public schools were crap and that was long before school choice or charter schools. Google the Johnny Jones gold plumbing case if you ever want to see what was more important than educating kids.

Coral Reef has been the top public HS in Dade for a little while now. Also MAST and DASH.
Palmetto is top notch and always has been. But is probably 4th or 5th.
I would send my sons there without batting an eye.

Advertisement
Back