OT: Wade vs. Marino

• Thread starter Deleted member 23667
  • Start date
Imagine believing that’s he’s not at the shooting guard position...
Wade is clearly one of the best NBA players of all time. I love Wade. If not top 3 SG then definitely Top 4 or 5 in my book (I think AI and Jerry West were better; Harden could surpass him, but it's doubtful).

With that said, I don't think it's saying a whole lot that Wade was the "3rd best shooting guard" of all time when (A) clearly he is world's apart from #1 MJ and #2 Kobe, and (B) historically, relatively speaking, basketball has been dominated by big men and forwards. It wasn't until relatively recent that shooting guards started taking over and being used the way they are today.

Marino, on the other hand, is undeniably one of the greatest QBs of all time. Some, though not I, would argue the best and most talented ever. Let's assume for argument's sake that he's in the Top 10.

TOP 10 NFL QB of all time >>>> TOP 3 NBA SG of all time.

Advertisement
Look....I Love Wade...and Love Marino (even though he's a Douchebag)...But if ya want to get Nit Picky....Shula and any one of Griese...Warfield...Csonka..etc..Tops the List as much....

No kidding. I have to laugh every time the Marino era is somehow hoisted as Miami sports at its best. The early '70s Dolphins were easily the most beloved team and era in the city's history. None of the Canes teams came close.

Unless you were alive and old enough to experience it I guess it isn't possible to envision the entire city in gripped nervous anticipation toward whether or not the Dolphins would be featured on Monday Night Football halftime highlights narrated by Howard Cosell. That single segment of a few minutes each week basically defined whether or not you were worthy, whether or not you mattered. You could literally hear the cheers and rejoicing from nearby homes if the Dolphins made it, and especially if Cosell led off with the Dolphins by mentioning their game in the lead-in to the preceding commercial.

If the Dolphins did not make halftime highlights despite a big win or important win, Miami fans bombarded ABC with so many complaints that the Monday Night crew and specifically Frank Gifford would laugh and reference it on the air. It was like online activism but over the phone.

Marino due to longevity and the importance of his position is the singular playing icon in Miami history. But the most beloved player was Larry Csonka. No question about it. Everyone beamed when Csonka's name was mentioned. He could fit as ideal brother or son, you name it. That team exemplified tough. Larry Csonka was the face of tough. He also has an outstanding coy sense of humor that was on full frequent display in televised interviews, and also the Don Shula Show on Monday nights just prior to Monday Night Football. The producers of that show always said that their viewership and phone calls went through the roof when Csonka was one of the guests. He and Shula had an incredible bond with knowing grins and plenty of wisecracks. It was never anything close to that between Marino and Shula. Mutual respect but working relationship while Csonka and Shula seemed like family.

No kidding. I have to laugh every time the Marino era is somehow hoisted as Miami sports at its best. The early '70s Dolphins were easily the most beloved team and era in the city's history. None of the Canes teams came close.

Unless you were alive and old enough to experience it I guess it isn't possible to envision the entire city in gripped nervous anticipation toward whether or not the Dolphins would be featured on Monday Night Football halftime highlights narrated by Howard Cosell. That single segment of a few minutes each week basically defined whether or not you were worthy, whether or not you mattered. You could literally hear the cheers and rejoicing from nearby homes if the Dolphins made it, and especially if Cosell led off with the Dolphins by mentioning their game in the lead-in to the preceding commercial.

If the Dolphins did not make halftime highlights despite a big win or important win, Miami fans bombarded ABC with so many complaints that the Monday Night crew and specifically Frank Gifford would laugh and reference it on the air. It was like online activism but over the phone.

Marino due to longevity and the importance of his position is the singular playing icon in Miami history. But the most beloved player was Larry Csonka. No question about it. Everyone beamed when Csonka's name was mentioned. He could fit as ideal brother or son, you name it. That team exemplified tough. Larry Csonka was the face of tough. He also has an outstanding coy sense of humor that was on full frequent display in televised interviews, and also the Don Shula Show on Monday nights just prior to Monday Night Football. The producers of that show always said that their viewership and phone calls went through the roof when Csonka was one of the guests. He and Shula had an incredible bond with knowing grins and plenty of wisecracks. It was never anything close to that between Marino and Shula. Mutual respect but working relationship while Csonka and Shula seemed like family.
I rocked many a Csonka jerseys in 73-75...My best friend growing up was a Mercury Morris Nut...The younger people on this board don't realize how Huge those 71-74 Dolphin teams were in S.Fl....Don Shula was a God...as Schnellenberger and Arnsparger were as well.

I don't care for basketball and i'm not a Dolphin fan. What i'm about to say isn't about who is better, but just some things about Marino because he's getting hate.

His 84 season is without a doubt the greatest season ever by a QB. This was back when WR actually needed skill to get open and before the dink and dunk. The man was throwing bombs and destroying defense in a era that defense won championships.

In 85, he and the Dolphins saved the 72 teams feat by being the only team to beat the Bears and on top of that. They were the only team to score more than 30 or more points on them.

The Dolphins defense just started bleeding points from 85 and on. During Shula time at Miami. The Dolphins only gave up 300 or more points a season once prior to 85. From 85 and on the Dolphins gave up 300 points or more a season 9 of 11 Years of Shula tenure. The 86 season they scored 430 points and gave up 405. Speaking of the 86 season. That is the last time the Dolphin franchise scored more than 400 points.

The draft picks were a joke outside of Richmond Webb. Shipp, Hampton, no pick, Bosa, Kumerow and Smith/Oliver. They had 2 picks in the 1st rd of the 89 draft. That was the draft with the 2 Sanders and Derrick Thomas. Them boneheads walked away with Smith and Oliver. Free agency started in 89 but is wasn't the FA we know today that took off in 93.

The NFL is a team game and for anyone speaking as if Marino had talent around him are crazy. The guy can't play defense and he wasn't Michael Vick to carry the run game. I don't really know who's to blame but they drafted an ace at QB and never did anything to improve on that.

If i was a Dolphin fan today. I would give my right arm to have a Marino in a wheel chair vs what that franchise has sunk to.

Advertisement
They had 2 picks in the 1st rd of the 89 draft. That was the draft with the 2 Sanders and Derrick Thomas. Them boneheads walked away with Smith and Oliver. Free agency started in 89 but is wasn't the FA we know today that took off in 93.

You do realize that the Dolphins had the 9th pick in 89' draft, right?

Unless you're talking about giving up picks to move up in the draft, no way in **** was KC, Detroit, & ATL giving up drafting 3 HOFers.

Sammie Smith went where He was supposed to go, and I wouldn't call the Dolphins boneheaded for picking Oliver, He had a pretty good pro career.

But I agree with you on early 90's FA, the Dolphins had a small window there to win a SB when they acquired Keith Jackson.

Advertisement
I don't care for basketball and i'm not a Dolphin fan. What i'm about to say isn't about who is better, but just some things about Marino because he's getting hate.

His 84 season is without a doubt the greatest season ever by a QB. This was back when WR actually needed skill to get open and before the dink and dunk. The man was throwing bombs and destroying defense in a era that defense won championships.

In 85, he and the Dolphins saved the 72 teams feat by being the only team to beat the Bears and on top of that. They were the only team to score more than 30 or more points on them.

The Dolphins defense just started bleeding points from 85 and on. During Shula time at Miami. The Dolphins only gave up 300 or more points a season once prior to 85. From 85 and on the Dolphins gave up 300 points or more a season 9 of 11 Years of Shula tenure. The 86 season they scored 430 points and gave up 405. Speaking of the 86 season. That is the last time the Dolphin franchise scored more than 400 points.

The draft picks were a joke outside of Richmond Webb. Shipp, Hampton, no pick, Bosa, Kumerow and Smith/Oliver. They had 2 picks in the 1st rd of the 89 draft. That was the draft with the 2 Sanders and Derrick Thomas. Them boneheads walked away with Smith and Oliver. Free agency started in 89 but is wasn't the FA we know today that took off in 93.

The NFL is a team game and for anyone speaking as if Marino had talent around him are crazy. The guy can't play defense and he wasn't Michael Vick to carry the run game. I don't really know who's to blame but they drafted an ace at QB and never did anything to improve on that.

If i was a Dolphin fan today. I would give my right arm to have a Marino in a wheel chair vs what that franchise has sunk to.

Ah, the 1989 draft.

4 of the first 5 picks are Hall-of-Famers. The other guy is Tony Mandarich.

Dolphins picked 9th.

Out of those 28 first-rounders, 11 made it to Pro-Bowler status and a total of 5 made the Hall of Fame (Troy Aikman, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders, Steve Atwater).

Oh, lord, if the Dolphins would have traded both of those first round picks to get into the Top 5...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back