OT: Using Technology to Track Performance

rbogg

Recruit
Saw this note in an SI article about an Oregon basketball player switching to football:
"Oregon players wear electronic monitoring systems that track workload, volume and intensity during practice..."

-I've seen the helmet cams, but might we have something like this in our program? I think it'd be pretty beneficial to track this kind of performance for both players and coaches alike.

-Is it just the we don't have the deep pockets the Oregon program has? Are they just ahead of everyone in terms of technology on the practice field?

-Not saying it's a huge factor in performance on Saturdays, but seems like some cool stuff.

Advertisement
I think I remember seeing an interview with someone on the staff (nutritionist) that talked about this technology. I believe we're using it.

I think I remember seeing an interview with someone on the staff (nutritionist) that talked about this technology. I believe we're using it.

Lol--- breakfast wasn't mandatory till 2 years ago, a team nutritionist was not utilized till last season. Donofrio is still here.

What in the world makes you think we have that tech here?

If we were an, it program. Like back in the early 2000's. When we were given that fish bowl. That players could put on their hand, and it would cool the body down. I could see us having it, but we are trash, and i doubt we are spending the type of cash needed. In order to fund this type of tech.

OP has raised an interesting question the answer to which is probably a simple no, but I got a chuckle out of the bold and underscored segment. I'll leave everyone to ponder that one.

-I've seen the helmet cams, but might we have something like this in our program? I think it'd be pretty beneficial to track this kind of performance for both players and coaches alike.

Advertisement

Lol--- breakfast wasn't mandatory till 2 years ago, a team nutritionist was not utilized till last season. Donofrio is still here.

What in the world makes you think we have that tech here?

Great point about Dfr ******. Here's the interview that I was talking about.

[video=youtube;r7Tr_f0pTPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Tr_f0pTPY[/video]

Saw this note in an SI article about an Oregon basketball player switching to football:
"Oregon players wear electronic monitoring systems that track workload, volume and intensity during practice..."

-Is it just the we don't have the deep pockets the Oregon program has? Are they just ahead of everyone in terms of technology on the practice field?

-Not saying it's a huge factor in performance on Saturdays, but seems like some cool stuff.

FSU does it too.

Alot of big teams are doing it

It's a chip that goes in the shoulder pads.

It also registers velocity so it helps with concussions.

It's used in actual games too.

FSU does it too.

Are you sure that the Electronic Monitoring Device isn't actually an ankle bracelet for your players?

Last edited:

FSU does it too.

Are you sure that the Electronic Monitoring Device isn't actually an ankle bracelet for your players?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Advertisement
Oregon is night and day ahead of us as far as day to day

Everyone of there recruits goes to "Speed School" which teaches them explosion and proper running techniques, its mandatory to everyone including OL/DL

While something like this may not be the most pressing issue for the program, I do see value in this kind of tech.

NBA teams are spending millions on their dime implementing high-speed cameras that track a players every move on the court--its not just some stat-head BS for the media to write articles about.

However, would be worthless if the statistical analysis does not lead to some kind of adjustments on the part of both players and coaches. And there may be a steeper learning curve for some of the more old-school guys on staff (Kehoe, well pretty much all of em haha)--but I think that shouldn't prevent these kind of things being introduced. Provided we have the means, of course.

Yeah they're typically GPS sensors that track player position, time, HR and things like that. From there you can get total distance traveled(volume), velocity numbers and such. They'll use resting heart rate numbers to determine sympathetic/parasympathetic dominance to get a general idea of when they can push them in training and with what methods and when to pull back. It's really cool stuff but by no means necessary. I think it'd take a year or two to really adjust to all the new information and organize a way to get the most out of it. Collecting the data is a science but implementing it becomes as much art as science.

As a side note, Eric Korem at Kentucky is using just about every bit of technology available as the football physical prep coach. If you're at all interested in that stuff, there are some cool videos on youtube.

Advertisement
FSU said this technology has reduced their soft tissue injuries by 88%, since they can monitor activity levels and dial players back if they've done too much.

We should look at and utilize in-game analytics first.

Not sure if serious point or joking point but either way you're on the money.

I'm serious about it and wrote multiple posts about it last year. Some of our in-game decision-making has been eyebrow-raising. Mainly, because I follow along with what's going on at the Sloan Conference and the like. I think we're behind the curve.

Not only do I think this works for in-game strategy (going for it, time clock issues, etc.), but I think we could do a better job tracking tendencies. From what I've heard from inside the team, it's currently not a point of emphasis. Maybe people will say "well, we have to execute first." That's fair. We should also be looking to pick up competitive advantages anywhere we can get them. Especially with deficient talent. Like last year.

Advertisement
We should look at and utilize in-game analytics first.

Not sure if serious point or joking point but either way you're on the money.

I'm serious about it and wrote multiple posts about it last year. Some of our in-game decision-making has been eyebrow-raising. Mainly, because I follow along with what's going on at the Sloan Conference and the like. I think we're behind the curve.

Not only do I think this works for in-game strategy (going for it, time clock issues, etc.), but I think we could do a better job tracking tendencies. From what I've heard from inside the team, it's currently not a point of emphasis. Maybe people will say "well, we have to execute first." That's fair. We should also be looking to pick up competitive advantages anywhere we can get them. Especially with deficient talent. Like last year.

Quit criticizing our coaches. They have been under a cloud and unsure of their loyalties. Things are better now. Coaches are doing just fine.

Everything is trending twatward.

how do you measure volume and workload?

is it monitoring the players' pulse? the magnitude of impact when they hit people?

how do you measure volume and workload?

is it monitoring the players' pulse? the magnitude of impact when they hit people?

You can get distances traveled (volume) and you can also get velocity numbers (intensity). So if a practice shows a higher average velocity, i.e. a receiver running a lot of full speed routes, they'll know he's done more work (ran farther total distance) and worked harder (higher average velocity).

Like I said earlier, from there it becomes an art and knowing how your team and specific players handle different workloads goes a long way. It's not an exact science yet but when you combine these kind of numbers with subjective data about how players feel physically and mentally, you can get a really good picture of how they're handling the stressors of football, training and even life.

Edit: Yes it also monitors heart rate. Left that out

Advertisement
Back