OT: USA women’s soccer WORLD CUP

I don't watch a lot of soccer, typically only team USA. But I'm used to seeing the US women have a decided advantage whoever they're playing. I'd say we were lucky to win today, as England seemed much more skilled imo. I missed the first 20 minutes, but what I did see looked like classic American soccer - inability to possess the ball, poor first touches, bad passes/unforced errors, panicked or desperation clear outs that give the ball right back to the opponent, etc. For the soccer fans, was today indicative of how both teams have been playing or was it abnormal?

Honestly, watched the men play Curacao the other night and it was more of the same. I'd heard a lot of talk about how we have a lot of young talent and skill and we were taking the next step, but the same description I used above fit perfectly. Outside of Pulisic, who I thought was the best player on the field, we still seem very lacking in the skill dept.

regarding womens soccer, men in blazers had a good detail on it --

bc of title 9, USA had a decided advantage over europe in womens soccer. now the top clubs in europe are investing heavily in women soccer and the result is what youre generally seeing in the last two rounds

Advertisement

Brits get so **** bitter after losing in soccer. Saying offsides shouldn't be called because it was close is like saying if the gators score with a toe out of bounds on a catch that they should be given the TD cause "it's just a toe". The excuses are cute though

Advertisement
Lol you're trying to dumb the argument down and failing miserably.

Last time i checked we haven't sentenced any glocks to life without parole. People are still going to jail.

Have you ever tried to commit a mass murder with rocks? Pretty hard let me tell you.

Look what we did this lady just a few days ago. This is ******* insanity.

The Florida State Attorney's Office is being urged not to prosecute a woman who was arrested after turning in her husband's guns to police while he was in jail on domestic violence charges.

After a divorce court meeting on June 14, Joseph and Courtney Irby got into an argument, according to an arrest report obtained by the Lakeland Ledger. When Courtney Irby, 32, tried to leave, her husband followed her, rammed into her vehicle and forced her off the road, police said.

Joseph Irby, 35, was arrested on a domestic aggravated battery charge, according to jail records. Courtney Irby told a responding officer that "she feared for her life," her husband’s arrest report said.

While Joseph Irby spent the night in jail, Courtney Irby went to his apartment and took his assault rifle and handgun.

The next day, Courtney Irby attempted to turn the weapons in to Lakeland Police, citing an injunction that required her husband to surrender the weapons, according to her arrest affidavit.

Federal law prohibits people under a domestic violence restraining order from possessing guns, but it's up to local law enforcement to enforce it, according to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

The officer on duty asked whether she had permission to enter his apartment and she said no, the Ledger reported.

I don't watch a lot of soccer, typically only team USA. But I'm used to seeing the US women have a decided advantage whoever they're playing. I'd say we were lucky to win today, as England seemed much more skilled imo. I missed the first 20 minutes, but what I did see looked like classic American soccer - inability to possess the ball, poor first touches, bad passes/unforced errors, panicked or desperation clear outs that give the ball right back to the opponent, etc. For the soccer fans, was today indicative of how both teams have been playing or was it abnormal?

Honestly, watched the men play Curacao the other night and it was more of the same. I'd heard a lot of talk about how we have a lot of young talent and skill and we were taking the next step, but the same description I used above fit perfectly. Outside of Pulisic, who I thought was the best player on the field, we still seem very lacking in the skill dept.
Agree with your points. US ladies were not sharp yesterday. For stretches they were, but didn't play to the level they are capable of. England did not either, or the US may have been in trouble. But that sums up just how good this team is. They are talented and very experienced and can hang with the world's best even on an off day. If they play to their potential, there is not another female side that can beat them.

The men's team is a totally different story. They were absolutely dreadful against Curacao. Dreadful! Sure they won the match and advanced, but barely. And that's vs an absolute bottom of the barrel Curacao team. Imagine that kind of effort vs a Germany or France. Good lord. Yes, Pulisic is exceptionally talented. His skill level is on a different level than any player we have (and arguably have ever had) and his confidence has grown tremendously. But there is no help there, at all. The USMNT is mediocre, at best. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they lost to Jamaica tonight.

Advertisement
Agree with your points. US ladies were not sharp yesterday. For stretches they were, but didn't play to the level they are capable of. England did not either, or the US may have been in trouble. But that sums up just how good this team is. They are talented and very experienced and can hang with the world's best even on an off day. If they play to their potential, there is not another female side that can beat them.

The men's team is a totally different story. They were absolutely dreadful against Curacao. Dreadful! Sure they won the match and advanced, but barely. And that's vs an absolute bottom of the barrel Curacao team. Imagine that kind of effort vs a Germany or France. Good lord. Yes, Pulisic is exceptionally talented. His skill level is on a different level than any player we have (and arguably have ever had) and his confidence has grown tremendously. But there is no help there, at all. The USMNT is mediocre, at best. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they lost to Jamaica tonight.

I think coaching played a lot into what we saw the last few matches out against the US Womens team. Spain and England's managers are just tactically more sound and they found ways to adjust to the US particularly after the 10 or so minute mark of each match. We have superior athleticism and deeper talent pool than the other countries, no question about that so we can keep coming in waves on them. Just for example you have Rapinoe on the bench who has been scoring the bulk of the US goals and plug in Press and she scores as well. It's an embarrassment of riches really. Maybe that has caused Ellis to be a little lazy in her tactics. If the talent gap gets closer in the future, which it seems it might because of the big European clubs starting to build their women's youth programs, we might be in for even more competition than we are receiving now.

As for the Men's program, it's just as you said, dreadful.

98% of the US lives within 10 miles of a gun store. Europe made it slightly harder.

We're going down a path that will require armed guards at nearly every gathering center we visit. Malls, grocery stores, churches, daycares, schools, hospitals, workplaces. If that's the kind of "freedom" you want than so be it.

Feel like you missed the point .... my whole point is criminals don’t follow laws but they will follow this one?

Not saying I have the answer just saying passing a LAW won’t be the answer either.

Exactly. I know it's a new system, but that's not what it's there for. It's for the clear and obvious, not a big toe being offside.

Hopefully they refine its use or you guys are going to be right about 'soccer' being a **** game.
That's a REALLY tight call

OldhamA still *****ing about calls ehh?

What a clown. As if white's call wasn't the same for the penalty kick ENGLAND MISSED. You COULD have tied the game up but you FAILED.

Arrogant English people are right up there with Gators. Bottom of the barrel trash.

Advertisement
regarding womens soccer, men in blazers had a good detail on it --

bc of title 9, USA had a decided advantage over europe in womens soccer. now the top clubs in europe are investing heavily in women soccer and the result is what youre generally seeing in the last two rounds
Aha, Europe is investing in the women's game through their academies now? That certainly explains what we saw then. I assumed our advantage over the rest of the world in women's soccer was due to a combination of our youth sports culture and the status of women in America, with our girls growing up playing a lot more sports than girls in other countries. If they're treating the women's game like the men's now, is this World Cup the likely end of our run on top?

Wow, you feel our women are still that far above the field? Hard to imagine with how England looked the other night (purely skill-wise), but obviously must have been an off night for us.

But I have to say watching the men last night...I only saw up until the game delay sadly, but that short stretch was the best soccer I think I've ever seen a US men's team play. The passing and precision, great first touches one after another, spacing...just really impressive I thought. I was actually sad for the delay, and then again this morning when I saw they resumed the game and I missed the rest (I flipped back a few times but didn't wait it out long enough obviously). I doubt I'll ever love soccer, but that level of play is entertaining enough to watch.

98% of the US lives within 10 miles of a gun store. Europe made it slightly harder.

We're going down a path that will require armed guards at nearly every gathering center we visit. Malls, grocery stores, churches, daycares, schools, hospitals, workplaces. If that's the kind of "freedom" you want than so be it.
weapons don't kill by themselves they have to be operated.respect for others has to be taught at home in a family structure not by the government in a school setting.we are finding out now the failures of letting someone else teach ma nors and respect instead of family members USA is the only country to whip Britain's a$$ twice in two wars then a 100 yrs later save it's a$$ in a world war.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back