OT: Trying to relocate back to Miami after 23 years

When you get to be a senior, geographical relocations can be very difficult. Even if you don't have much family nearby, you often have longtime friends, other familiar features, like favorite haunts (stores, shopping, recreational or cultural venues, etc.) My cousin was thinking of moving his father from a Brooklyn nursing home to the San Fernando Valley...his Dad reconsidered and stayed because he had a circle of caregivers, doctors, etc. he didn't want to leave.

Exactly the case. Older folks just weight their options a little differently.

Advertisement
@bigsonnyu every day send out a target of 20 resumes on Indeed, LinkedIn, etc. It's a numbers game so do not get frustrated; that's natural. ****, I'm doing it myself. Good luck.

Wife and I came back in 1999 after about 14 years for the same reasons. We were fortunate enough to be here for the passing of both our mothers and her dad. Not the greatest place for jobs. I will keep a look out. Unfortunately my place have reversed policy of remote workers and now everyone has to work in certain offices and all Florida ones are closing. I will check around.

Yeah, I hear it's tough, but I'm willing to give it a go for mom. Thanks for keeping an eye out bro!

@bigsonnyu every day send out a target of 20 resumes on Indeed, LinkedIn, etc. It's a numbers game so do not get frustrated; that's natural. ****, I'm doing it myself. Good luck.

Yeah I've been doing it for months, but I only seem to get the system generated responses. But I will continue to plug away.

Best of luck to you on your search as well!!

Advertisement
Tough stuff, bro. I can definitely relate. I'm in Jax, actually moved here to be closer to family, and for other reasons, myself. PM any time if it gets too rough and you need someone to talk to or grab a beer.

Probably a non-starter, but have you considered moving your mom up to Jax? Good hospitals, low cost of living, etc, etc. Might be a lot easier on the finances, etc.

Best of luck man, you will be in my prayers.

Thanks bro, I appreciate your prayers!!! Maybe we can catch a game. I've heard of Canes gathering somewhere in Jax, but have never been able to nail any tangible information down.

Still, the conventional wisdom was that jobs were found through networking. That's what they said in the '80's. Might be different now, with internet, social media, etc.

Thanks bro, I appreciate your prayers!!! Maybe we can catch a game. I've heard of Canes gathering somewhere in Jax, but have never been able to nail any tangible information down.
Often way to find Hurricane Watch parties is to locate the local chapter of the UM alumni group. Check and see if the contact information is available on alumni webpage. Perhaps call or email the alumni office Explain that you're not an alum if you aren't but you're a big Canes fan and want to get together with other fans. Hopefully they would help you. Actually, the Washington, DC chapter got it's start in the '80"s because of the efforts of a non-alum who was a fanatic Hurricane fan since we'll before birth (me). (Funny, I know the whole story but current alumni office staff and leadership have no idea...they even wrote local club by-laws back then to permit non-alums to join and hold office, which two non-alum did in D.C.. I don't think current by-laws provide for that.)

I think it was Grassy site (now defunct) with pinned thread of watch parties in different cities. Or was that here?)

It was a CBS Sports board that had a thread for all teams... It was a relatively small population of fans, but was great for insider info at the time.

That board was insider central when everyone on grassy was still throwing **** at each other.

@UMFarArcher was a stalwart there as well

Edit: Remember that L'ville guy that told us how bad it was gonna be when they got Teddy ***gwater?
He was spot the fvck on. I hate him.

Advertisement
Often way to find Hurricane Watch parties is to locate the local chapter of the UM alumni group. Check and see if the contact information is available on alumni webpage. Perhaps call or email the alumni office Explain that you're not an alum if you aren't but you're a big Canes fan and want to get together with other fans. Hopefully they would help you. Actually, the Washington, DC chapter got it's start in the '80"s because of the efforts of a non-alum who was a fanatic Hurricane fan since we'll before birth (me). (Funny, I know the whole story but current alumni office staff and leadership have no idea...they even wrote local club by-laws back then to permit non-alums to join and hold office, which two non-alum did in D.C.. I don't think current by-laws provide for that.)

I think it was Grassy site (now defunct) with pinned thread of watch parties in different cities. Or was that here?)

Found it!

Found the official Alumni Hurricane gamewatch list but no Jax! Call the alumni office and see if they can help. Maybe a contact name. I'd think they'd have some Cane alums, even if not as many as Tampa or Orlando.

Game Watches | UM Alumni | University of Miami

Sorry to do this, but hey we're a family...

This isn't a joke: I've experience some life changing events recently that have changed the dynamic of how I view life. Lost my dad in 2014, Aunt in 2015, grandmother 2016, my only sibling (sister at 43) in June of 2017, and my grandad this past June 2018...

It's life, but its changed everything in my world. That said, Im attempting to move closer to home to be there for my mother. As a working adult, its easier said than done for me to be in Miami as often as I would like to be. I left/went off (from Miami) to Junior College to play a little ball in Arizona in the late 90's, then I transferred with my job from AZ to Jacksonville, FL to get a little closer to home in 2001; where things have been okay for me...

However, my mother who was surrounded by close loved ones, is now in Miami at 74 years old, practically alone... Whose to say what the future holds, but I don't want to sit back for another phone call without making any attempts. The loss of my sister really tore my mother up as it was unexpected, and I've been trying to get back home; but I'm having no luck. All I really want to do is come back home to look after mom, and spend some good quality years with her, to sort of bring some joy back into her life, as much a possible.

I've been with my current employer for over 10 years now, but they don't have anything in Miami for a transfer. During my tenure, I've worked hard to earn some advancement opportunities... I started as an B2B On-Boarding Analyst, and have experience in Financial Crimes Investigations (Fraud Analyst), and now I'm a Business Process Analyst/Project Manager. All of my technical knowledge has been in-house company training.

I just feel the sense of urgency to get back, and I'm simply looking for a Job (or at least an olive branch) for a good cause... If any of you have HR connections, I would definitely welcome the chance to explore an opportunity to make something happen.

You're welcome to DM me, and I can definitely get my resume to any prospects.

Keep me and my family in your prayers.
Will be praying for you brother. I left the nest for 10 years myself and came back for my aging parents as well. My dad died 6 weeks ago so I know your pain. You are doing the right thing by coming back home and being with your mom. When she leaves this world someday (25 years from now hopefully), you will have peace in your heart knowing you were there for her when she needed you.

I have no clue about your industry but I will keep my ears to the ground nonetheless. Seems like you have some good skills and experience so I am sure you will find something. Best of luck brother. Hopefully these Canes can turn things around and give you some solace this year! Haha

Best of luck to you.

Advertisement
Found it!

Found the official Alumni Hurricane gamewatch list but no Jax! Call the alumni office and see if they can help. Maybe a contact name. I'd think they'd have some Cane alums, even if not as many as Tampa or Orlando.

Game Watches | UM Alumni | University of Miami

Thanks Bro, gonna check it out!! But hopefully in the near future, I'll be able to catch the games live on a regular basis!!

Will be praying for you brother. I left the nest for 10 years myself and came back for my aging parents as well. My dad died 6 weeks ago so I know your pain. You are doing the right thing by coming back home and being with your mom. When she leaves this world someday (25 years from now hopefully), you will have peace in your heart knowing you were there for her when she needed you.

I have no clue about your industry but I will keep my ears to the ground nonetheless. Seems like you have some good skills and experience so I am sure you will find something. Best of luck brother. Hopefully these Canes can turn things around and give you some solace this year! Haha

Best of luck to you.

Amen to that brother, you hit the nail right on the head!! My grandparents were expected with their age, my dad's situation was treatable, but he didn't beat the odds...and sister really was a mean 100mph curveball.

Getting those phone calls are tough. My heart couldn't handle another scenario like that, especially with mom; she has equity in all that I am.

Sorry for your loss as well. I pray that all the great memories quickly come to your mind whenever greif tries to visit.

Advertisement
On top of Linkedin and Indeed - check out ZipRecruiter. I'm sure there's a lot of job overlap between the 3 sites, but all are good. Personally I've used ziprecruiter to hire people before.

I've been self employed for a bit now, but it seems like I still get hundreds of job openings emailed to me weekly from profiles I created on linkedin and indeed years ago.

Also it can't hurt to get in touch with 3rd party recruiters who specialize in certain fields or have certain connections with larger companies. Plenty of job openings never get posted and instead filled by these recruiters who get paid a fee (by the employer) when their candidate is placed.

Forgot to mention, and this goes for everyone, if you're applying to a job in another city/state make sure you put an address of that city/state on your resume. These recruiters are getting inundated with so many resumes, they're not going to even bother wasting their time with someone who may want a relocation package when they've got a few hundred resumes from local people. Use a friend's, use family's, but don't show you live in X when the job is in Y.

Forgot to mention, and this goes for everyone, if you're applying to a job in another city/state make sure you put an address of that city/state on your resume. These recruiters are getting inundated with so many resumes, they're not going to even bother wasting their time with someone who may want a relocation package when they've got a few hundred resumes from local people. Use a friend's, use family's, but don't show you live in X when the job is in Y.

Also, to the extent possible, see if you can do a cover letter or cover e-mail that explains your rationale for moving, it can be very helpful. Even the distance between Jax and Miami is substantial and could be viewed as requiring a relocation package (and the moronic tax reform now makes corporate relo expenses non-deductible). I just got a resume that is incredible on the education and job experience side, but over the past 5 years he has had jobs in NYC, Atlanta, and San Francisco. So you've got to try to get someone to consider you in spite of the distance.

Advertisement
Back