OT: Trying to relocate back to Miami after 23 years

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
Sorry to do this, but hey we're a family...

This isn't a joke: I've experience some life changing events recently that have changed the dynamic of how I view life. Lost my dad in 2014, Aunt in 2015, grandmother 2016, my only sibling (sister at 43) in June of 2017, and my grandad this past June 2018...

It's life, but its changed everything in my world. That said, Im attempting to move closer to home to be there for my mother. As a working adult, its easier said than done for me to be in Miami as often as I would like to be. I left/went off (from Miami) to Junior College to play a little ball in Arizona in the late 90's, then I transferred with my job from AZ to Jacksonville, FL to get a little closer to home in 2001; where things have been okay for me...

However, my mother who was surrounded by close loved ones, is now in Miami at 74 years old, practically alone... Whose to say what the future holds, but I don't want to sit back for another phone call without making any attempts. The loss of my sister really tore my mother up as it was unexpected, and I've been trying to get back home; but I'm having no luck. All I really want to do is come back home to look after mom, and spend some good quality years with her, to sort of bring some joy back into her life, as much a possible.

I've been with my current employer for over 10 years now, but they don't have anything in Miami for a transfer. During my tenure, I've worked hard to earn some advancement opportunities... I started as an B2B On-Boarding Analyst, and have experience in Financial Crimes Investigations (Fraud Analyst), and now I'm a Business Process Analyst/Project Manager. All of my technical knowledge has been in-house company training.

I just feel the sense of urgency to get back, and I'm simply looking for a Job (or at least an olive branch) for a good cause... If any of you have HR connections, I would definitely welcome the chance to explore an opportunity to make something happen.

You're welcome to DM me, and I can definitely get my resume to any prospects.

Keep me and my family in your prayers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I remember you from way back in the day my friend on the CBs boards. Sorry to hear that things have taken a rough turn in your life.

I'll ask around. I don't know many people in FCI but I can't believe that between all of us here we can't find something for you.

Much respect.

Advertisement
I remember you from way back in the day my friend on the CBs boards. Sorry to hear that things have taken a rough turn in your life.

I'll ask around. I don't know many people in FCI but I can't believe that between all of us here we can't find something for you.

Much respect.

Wow, that's a serious throwback - fun times back then before that board faded away!! Much respect for you as well my Cane brother!!

Thanks for checking as well!!

Advertisement
Sorry to do this, but hey we're a family...

This isn't a joke: I've experience some life changing events recently that have changed the dynamic of how I view life. Lost my dad in 2014, Aunt in 2015, grandmother 2016, my only sibling (sister at 43) in June of 2017, and my grandad this past June 2018...

It's life, but its changed everything in my world. That said, Im attempting to move closer to home to be there for my mother. As a working adult, its easier said than done for me to be in Miami as often as I would like to be. I left/went off (from Miami) to Junior College to play a little ball in Arizona in the late 90's, then I transferred with my job from AZ to Jacksonville, FL to get a little closer to home in 2001; where things have been okay for me...

However, my mother who was surrounded by close loved ones, is now in Miami at 74 years old, practically alone... Whose to say what the future holds, but I don't want to sit back for another phone call without making any attempts. The loss of my sister really tore my mother up as it was unexpected, and I've been trying to get back home; but I'm having no luck. All I really want to do is come back home to look after mom, and spend some good quality years with her, to sort of bring some joy back into her life, as much a possible.

I've been with my current employer for over 10 years now, but they don't have anything in Miami for a transfer. During my tenure, I've worked hard to earn some advancement opportunities... I started as an B2B On-Boarding Analyst, and have experience in Financial Crimes Investigations (Fraud Analyst), and now I'm a Business Process Analyst/Project Manager. All of my technical knowledge has been in-house company training.

I just feel the sense of urgency to get back, and I'm simply looking for a Job (or at least an olive branch) for a good cause... If any of you have HR connections, I would definitely welcome the chance to explore an opportunity to make something happen.

You're welcome to DM me, and I can definitely get my resume to any prospects.

Keep me and my family in your prayers.

Tough stuff, bro. I can definitely relate. I'm in Jax, actually moved here to be closer to family, and for other reasons, myself. PM any time if it gets too rough and you need someone to talk to or grab a beer.

Probably a non-starter, but have you considered moving your mom up to Jax? Good hospitals, low cost of living, etc, etc. Might be a lot easier on the finances, etc.

Best of luck man, you will be in my prayers.

Advertisement
Wife and I came back in 1999 after about 14 years for the same reasons. We were fortunate enough to be here for the passing of both our mothers and her dad. Not the greatest place for jobs. I will keep a look out. Unfortunately my place have reversed policy of remote workers and now everyone has to work in certain offices and all Florida ones are closing. I will check around.

Advertisement
When you get to be a senior, geographical relocations can be very difficult. Even if you don't have much family nearby, you often have longtime friends, other familiar features, like favorite haunts (stores, shopping, recreational or cultural venues, etc.) My cousin was thinking of moving his father from a Brooklyn nursing home to the San Fernando Valley...his Dad reconsidered and stayed because he had a circle of caregivers, doctors, etc. he didn't want to leave.

Any chance you can move mom up to Jax with you?

Sorry for the delay, I was in church, we have a mid-week service on Tuesday...

I have actually tried, but mom doesn't wanna budge; its hard to uproot older folks. She'd move to a new environment, but me moving home is a bit different, it's home. But the biggest factor is this: In her sweet voice, she's has asked me to come home after being gone since I was 19 years old; 42 now.

Considering all she's done for me in my life, it's basically a matter of honoring her wishes.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, I was in church, we a have mid-week service on Tuesday...

I have actually tried, but mom doesn't wanna budge; its hard to uproot older folks. She'd move to a new environment, but me moving home is a bit different, it's home. But the biggest factor is this: In her sweet voice, she's has asked me to come home after being gone since I was 19 years old; 42 now.

Considering all she's done for me in my life, it's basically a matter of honoring her wishes.

I get it brother. Gotta get back to her!

Advertisement
Back