OT: The Rise of Snowplow Parents

Its the new thing. It seems like back in the day most of the elite players probably didn't even know their dads. Now since most of the kids from the projects aren't even graduating and its more lower middle-middle class kids becoming NFL players you are getting these types of kids.

Not knowing who your dad is rarely ever a good thing.

Look at Zion Williamson, that kid hasn't even signed His first NBA contract yet and a ***** is already suing Him for $100M.

Advertisement
there's a W in front of the https.

I copied from https and it works, but here's the other link, so voila - just letting you know what happened if you wanna edit it
Thanks. Must have deleted that W for some reason.

Its the new thing. It seems like back in the day most of the elite players probably didn't even know their dads. Now since most of the kids from the projects aren't even graduating and its more lower middle-middle class kids becoming NFL players you are getting these types of kids.

Interesting. Is this because of improvement in general economic conditions for larger number of blacks or just the huge dollars attracting a blacks from better economic classes? I know when I was in HS nfl salaries did not compare with what I was going to make as an attorney so is gave up all that sweat and dirt just hit the books. Today I would focus on speed of the edge to the QB — lot more money.

Not knowing who your dad is rarely ever a good thing.

Look at Zion Williamson, that kid hasn't even signed His first NBA contract yet and a ***** is already suing Him for $100M.

I never said it was a good thing. I was just stating why these kids who got helicopter parents are becoming the new norm for athletes.

Interesting. Is this because of improvement in general economic conditions for larger number of blacks or just the huge dollars attracting a blacks from better economic classes? I know when I was in HS nfl salaries did not compare with what I was going to make as an attorney so is gave up all that sweat and dirt just hit the books. Today I would focus on speed of the edge to the QB — lot more money.

A big part is because schools have gotten VERY strict over the past 10-20 years. Even when I was a kid we would get into fights in the middle of class and just get sent to detention. Teachers never searched lockers for anything. etc. Now you got kids getting expelled because they made fun of someone and even a little smack will get you expelled. They have police come through with search dogs once a month to search lockers. Schit like that.

Also, back in the day if you were a good athlete teachers would let you slide with grades. Not anymore.

SO most of the real elite athletes that grow up in the hood without parents aren't even making it out of HS. I knew some really good basketball players growing up in NYC that were better at basketball than some of the kids that actually ended up making the NBA. They just were never able to graduate HS. Either got expelled or just stopped showing up to class and dropped out.

Advertisement
A big part is because schools have gotten VERY strict over the past 10-20 years. Even when I was a kid we would get into fights in the middle of class and just get sent to detention. Teachers never searched lockers for anything. etc. Now you got kids getting expelled because they made fun of someone and even a little smack will get you expelled. They have police come through with search dogs once a month to search lockers. Schit like that.

Also, back in the day if you were a good athlete teachers would let you slide with grades. Not anymore.

SO most of the real elite athletes that grow up in the hood without parents aren't even making it out of HS. I knew some really good basketball players growing up in NYC that were better at basketball than some of the kids that actually ended up making the NBA. They just were never able to graduate HS. Either got expelled or just stopped showing up to class and dropped out.

I was hoping there was good news, guess not. Things have been getting stricter on kids for years now. In 60’s I drove to high school with WW II M I carbine and three 30 round clips in the trunk of my car. Dean saw it and just shook his head. Today I would get shot by swat team for having an assault rifle. We made gunpowder in chemistry class and I blew the roof of the lab off — had to pay for it but that’s it. My dad smiled, and told me about the day he blew his one room school into tooth picks. Sucks to be kid today.

I was hoping there was good news, guess not. Things have been getting stricter on kids for years now. In 60’s I drove to high school with WW II M I carbine and three 30 round clips in the trunk of my car. Dean saw it and just shook his head. Today I would get shot by swat team for having an assault rifle. We made gunpowder in chemistry class and I blew the roof of the lab off — had to pay for it but that’s it. My dad smiled, and told me about the day he blew his one room school into tooth picks. Sucks to be kid today.

Agreed. It is ridiculous. No good news sadly. Its just schools being unbelievably strict kicking out kids for being kids. I never would have made it through middle school if I was going to school today.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back