OT: The LA Rams are effing stupid

Advertisement
I get that but giving up 2 firsts and a 3rd, 😳
To get off that contract absolutely. Look I may be biased cause I’ve always been a stafford guy. The one stable coach he had in Caldwell was fired. The situation around him has been a mess since megaton. He’s coming off 26-10 on 64% 4K

Advertisement
Rams offense this year:
  • zone scheme run game especially in the red zone where they were mediocre at best
  • naked boot off split zone with curl/flat
  • empty Stick concept
  • awful designed screens
Running on 3 straight years of McVay being dubbed this schematic genius by the media post him getting exposed by the Lions, Bears and Pats in 2018. I see a very stubborn OC who hasn't evolved his scheme and is behind wrt analytics (going for it on 4th down, throwing in RZ). For whatever reason the Rams traded away Cooks and gave up on trying to get explosive plays out of the pass game. Now Goff is the scapegoat.

Goff has quick feet and can rip intermediate throws when in rhythm. He's a capable QB which is more than you can say for a third of the starters in the league. Stafford has better traits but he's getting old and wearing down physically. Maybe the Rams will actually decide to use Van Jefferson this year to help make Stafford look like the savior. God forbid a Rams receiver gets open against man coverage and not from McVay's parlor tricks.

Congrats to Lions fans. Your team has a process and now you're a(nother) Stafford injury away from reaping major rewards. Getting paid assets to take on the Goff contract can easily turn into a doubledip situation where he rehabilitates his value and returns more picks if he's traded away. That often happens in the NBA when teams are desperate to dump salary.

They dumped a massively bad contract with that second first rounder.

Right. It's a win-win. LA is a legit super bowl contender immediately. Weapons, defense, coaching, and now a legit upper tier QB. Plus they get ditch Goff's contract. Detroit feels good about it too bc of the draft picks.

Advertisement
Rams offense this year:
  • zone scheme run game especially in the red zone where they were mediocre at best
  • naked boot off split zone with curl/flat
  • empty Stick concept
  • awful designed screens
Running on 3 straight years of McVay being dubbed this schematic genius by the media post him getting exposed by the Lions, Bears and Pats in 2018. I see a very stubborn OC who hasn't evolved his scheme and is behind wrt analytics (going for it on 4th down, throwing in RZ). For whatever reason the Rams traded away Cooks and gave up on trying to get explosive plays out of the pass game. Now Goff is the scapegoat.

Goff has quick feet and can rip intermediate throws when in rhythm. He's a capable QB which is more than you can say for a third of the starters in the league. Stafford has better traits but he's getting old and wearing down physically. Maybe the Rams will actually decide to use Van Jefferson this year to help make Stafford look like the savior. God forbid a Rams receiver gets open against man coverage and not from McVay's parlor tricks.

Congrats to Lions fans. Your team has a process and now you're a(nother) Stafford injury away from reaping major rewards. Getting paid assets to take on the Goff contract can easily turn into a doubledip situation where he rehabilitates his value and returns more picks if he's traded away. That often happens in the NBA when teams are desperate to dump salary.
The opposite end is..The rams defense is trending up and they have a lil running game. Rams are likely a playoff team again

Advertisement
As a rams fan I love this deal. Essentially the deal was a 1+3+Goff... they had to throw in another 1st so Detroit would take all the guaranteed money from the deal too...

get Goff the **** off my team. He’s not a leader, not a good QB, and plays scared all the time. The rams have drafted well outside of the first (they haven’t picked in the first since they drafted Goff I believe) I’m not worried about them one bit. McVay’s system has been held back by Goff. It will be fun to watch them this season

Initial thoughts on the trade.
1. Expect the Rams to throw vertically ALOT next season. As ZBrod said above, Goff is nowhere near the arm talent that Stafford has. Rams are a NFC Champ contender with this trade.

2. I don’t think the Lions keep Goff. I think they package him with some salary relief for more draft picks (not a first rounder but certainly a two and a three). By hiring a new GM and giving a 6 yr deal to Campbell, Lions are in straight rebuilding mode. Goff won’t be a Lion for long.

3. Now we have a little clarity on what Watson will cost. And I stress a little clarity. Lions are receiving extra picks because they are taking on salary. Stafford is under contract for 2021 (9.5 mill plus incentives that could reach a total of 10.5 mill) and for 2022 at 12.5 mill. Goff is under contract through 2024 at around 22-25 million a year plus incentives.

Watson will earn about 10.5 in 2021, but his extension kicks in 2022 for 35/mill, 20/mill (2023), 32/mill (2024), and 32/mill (2025). He does have an option before the 2024 season.

I’m guessing Watson will fetch the Texans at least 3 first rounders, 2 second rounders, and probably a pro-bowl player on defense.

Texans will probably kick in a mid rounder with Watson on the deal.

And that’s just the starting price. A bidding war could fetch way more for a 25 year old all pro QB who is under contract, a mega star, and a player that won’t be suspended by the NFL.

TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS FOR MATT STAFFORD????

Jeez, the Rams just set the market for Deshun Watson's trade value.
Tbh honest I didn’t even think about how this impacts the Watson trade market.

I would think it basically guarantees he’s not moving

Advertisement
I disagree with that. The rams have a ******* squad outside of QB. Stafford is very underrated imo.

Ya not sure what people are thinking here. Rams aren't wasting the talent on they have now and want to win. Stafford is their best shot.

A couple of late 1st rounders isn't worth wasting 2 years of everyone on that defense.

Advertisement
Back