OT: The Dabo Way

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I like Dabo. Did it his way. He could’ve loaded on talent like Bama and Ohio st and UGA but he took a different route. Up until his last couple classes he had around 40+ blue chip players on his roster.

Coaching continuity, elite evaluations and great culture is a great way to run a program. I tip my hat to him.

Advertisement
Dabo has said that he thought he was getting fired after year 3. That's when he made the biggest decision of his career: he changed Clemson's offense from pro style to an uptempo spread and hired a little known OC from Tulsa to run it. The rest, as they say, is history. The year before Chad Morris arrived in Tulsa, they had an offense ranked in the 40s. In just one year under Morris, Tulsa jumped to #4 in the country in PPG. Dabo saw the potential of this under the radar OC and it was the first step in turning Clemson into a monster.

Diaz- and I cant stress this enough- had a golden opportunity to move Miami into the 21st century when hired. His QBs and OL are better suited to the spread. Yet he hired another pro style guy, knowing all this. There was a Chad Morris-type out there (still is) by the name of Bill Bedenbaugh at Oklahoma. If Diaz survives 2 more seasons, I will bet money that he does what Dabo did and hire a spread OC. Why he needs to fail for 3 seasons before realizing that is a mystery to me. I'm just a dude posting on a website, he's getting paid 3 million, yet I somehow know Miami would be more successful as an uptempo spread offense while he doesn't know it yet. Strange times, indeed.

Last edited:
Dabo has said that he thought he was getting fired after year 3. That's when he made the biggest decision of his career: he changed Clemson's offense from pro style to a uptempo spread and hired a little known OC from Tulsa to run it. The rest, as they say, is history. The year before Chad Morris arrived in Tulsa, they had an offense ranked in the 40s. In just one year under Morris, Tulsa jumped to #4 in the country in PPG. Dabo saw the potential of this under the radar OC and it was the first step in turning Clemson into a monster.

Diaz- and I cant stress this enough- had a golden opportunity to move Miami into the 21st century when hired. His QBs and OL are better suited to the spread. Yet he hired another pro style guy, knowing all this. There was a Chad Morris-type out there (still is) by the name of Bill Bedenbaugh at Oklahoma. If Diaz survives 2 more seasons, I will bet money that he does what Dabo did and hire a spread OC. Why he needs to fail for 3 seasons before realizing that is a mystery to me. I'm just a dude posting on a website, he's getting paid 3 million, yet I somehow know Miami would be more successful as an uptempo spread offense while he doesn't know it yet. Strange times, indeed.
That Oklahoma offense at Miami. Ooooooo weeeeeeee that would be exciting. That’s the route he should’ve went. **** shame.

Advertisement
No, but plenty of porsters like to try and compare young Manny to the younger Dabo. Erroneously, I think.

But please, I encourage you to post why you think the Canes are performing so bad. Include a meme if you wish.

I'm sure it will be original and enlightening.
I encourage you to go back to worshipping the Knights Templar

Interesting

tenor (12).gif

That Oklahoma offense at Miami. Ooooooo weeeeeeee that would be exciting. That’s the route he should’ve went. **** shame.

As soon as Diaz got hired, I was scouring college football for a Chad Morris type. I was the first on the site to bring up Bedenbaugh's name as I had read articles talking about how he was instrumental in designing the Oklahoma offense. He didn't call plays so he wasnt on anyone's radar.

Bedenbaugh and Riley are Leach Air Raid disciples, but when Bedenbaugh got to Oklahoma he and Riley realized that Oklahoma had excellent running backs and that the Air Raid needed to evolve to take advantage of that. Bedenbaugh added a lot of the power run element. The posters here attacked the idea of Bedenbaugh as he had never called plays (even though he has openly stated he is hoping some coach somewhere gives him an opportunity to be a playcalling OC). I argued that experience is vastly overrated and scheme matters far more. Every OC has to start somewhere. Yet 95% of the board wanted an experienced OC and poopooed the idea. The fact that Miami just had one of the most experienced playercallers (who won a championship as an OC) and had one of the worst offenses in school history did not change their opinion.

Oh well. There is some small satisfaction of being proven right that scheme matters more than experience(the 95% got their wish and Diaz hired an experienced OC), but that satisfaction is far outweighed by the pain of watching Miami waste another season with a bad offensive scheme.

As soon as Diaz got hired, I was scouring college football for a Chad Morris type. I was the first on the site to bring up Bedenbaugh's name as I had read articles talking about how he was instrumental in designing the Oklahoma offense. He didn't call plays so he wasnt on anyone's radar.

Bedenbaugh and Riley are Leach Air Raid disciples, but when Bedenbaugh got to Oklahoma he and Riley realized that Oklahoma had excellent running backs and that the Air Raid needed to evolve to take advantage of that. Bedenbaugh added a lot of the power run element. The posters here attacked the idea of Bedenbaugh as he had never called plays (even though he has openly stated he is hoping some coach somewhere gives him an opportunity to be a playcalling OC). I argued that experience is vastly overrated and scheme matters far more. Every OC has to start somewhere. Yet 95% of the board wanted an experienced OC and poopooed the idea. The fact that Miami just had one of the most experienced playercallers (who won a championship as an OC) and had one of the worst offenses in school history did not change their opinion.

Oh well. There is some small satisfaction of being proven right that scheme matters more than experience(the 95% got their wish and Diaz hired an experienced OC), but that satisfaction is far outweighed by the pain of watching Miami waste another season with a bad offensive scheme.
Repped for thinking outside the box, something our dumb *** head coach should’ve done. How he sees all of the offenses around the country especially Oklahoma and doesn’t think to hire someone with that pedigree is beyond me.

Advertisement
Back