OT- The anual Bob McGinn notes from scouts (good and bad)

BrazilCane

Junior
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/2015-nfl-draft-outlook-b99448618z1-293321531.html
This column of this Packers beat reporter is always a good read near the Draft. Two canes mentioned:

Ereck Flowers*, T, Miami: 6-6, 329. Third-year junior. "Big frame, good technician, good with his hands, good bulk and anchor," one scout said. "Has ability to hold up against power rushes but also can handle speed. Physically and athletically, probably more of a right tackle in the NFL." Started 2½ years at LT. Arms were 34½. Led O-line with 37 bench-press reps.

Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami: 5-11, 236. Started 37 games over four seasons. "Explosive tackler," one scout said. "Physical. Tough. He's second or third round. It will be interesting to see how he runs." Generally played middle linebacker but started all 13 games outside in 2013. "We've got people who love him," another scout said. "I think he's gotten too big. I talked to those guys (coaches) there and he doesn't want to lose the weight. Doesn't look like he can run as well as he should. Got some stiffness to him."

Advertisement
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/2015-nfl-draft-outlook-b99448618z1-293321531.html
This column of this Packers beat reporter is always a good read near the Draft. Two canes mentioned:

Ereck Flowers*, T, Miami: 6-6, 329. Third-year junior. "Big frame, good technician, good with his hands, good bulk and anchor," one scout said. "Has ability to hold up against power rushes but also can handle speed. Physically and athletically, probably more of a right tackle in the NFL." Started 2½ years at LT. Arms were 34½. Led O-line with 37 bench-press reps.

Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami: 5-11, 236. Started 37 games over four seasons. "Explosive tackler," one scout said. "Physical. Tough. He's second or third round. It will be interesting to see how he runs." Generally played middle linebacker but started all 13 games outside in 2013. "We've got people who love him," another scout said. "I think he's gotten too big. I talked to those guys (coaches) there and he doesn't want to lose the weight. Doesn't look like he can run as well as he should. Got some stiffness to him."

This is the new Miami.

Meh. The idea that muscle bound = stiff is outdated and antiquated. He plays fast because of his instincts and football IQ. He moved very similarly his freshman year. He was never all that fluid working down the field. He's a thumper. He's built that way, he moves that way and his play has always seemed to match that. He might be a tad slower but that's going to come from being much heavier. He may be, again, a hair faster at a lower weight but how does that effect his ability to take on and shed blockers? You need a certain amount of size to play inside in a 3-4.

I'm not saying he didn't get too big for his frame but if he weighed in at 236, that's not even close to "big" by NFL standards. The guy needs that size to play his game in the NFL. There's a very good reason guys like Ray Lewis, who thrived as an undersized Mike in a 4-3, gained weight throughout their career and most notably when they transitioned to an inside 3-4 position. Now if they want him to play will in a 4-3, he'd probably be ok to lose some weight but he'd still never be the most fluid guy at that spot.

Perryman will be just fine in the NFL because he's a smart linebacker. He can make up for, what might be, average athleticism because he has above average instincts.

All i have to do is watch my AVI to see that Perryman reads and diagnoses plays quickly and gets to the point of attack like a missile. I can't wait to watch him in the NFL, he's gonna be solid and if he slides to the 2nd or 3rd and lands on a playoff contender we will see him shine sooner than later. JMO

Bob is a great dude and great writer. Coached my Pony league team when I was in high school in Green Bay.

Advertisement
Bob is a great dude and great writer. Coached my Pony league team when I was in high school in Green Bay.

Not a Packers fan, but found Bob´s column 3 or 4 year ago (don´t remeber how) and always look for it near the Draft.

It´s a tradition now.

Those columns are great. He has more detailed ones that go position-by-position as the draft gets closer.

I'd take Perryman on the Phins in a minute. Funny he's almost the exact same size as Zack Thomas(5'11", 242).

Advertisement
Glenn Cook says hello.

This is the new Miami.

Glenn Cook says hello.

This is the new Miami.

I like Cook. He is part of the "Old" Miami. I remember he had a big game against TA&M in COllege Station like 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back