OT: Taking the LSAT 8/29

NateDogg

The Swift Chancellor
Over the years I have seen several posters mention that they are either lawyers or work in the legal field. I am just wondering if anyone has any tips to share from their experiences studying for the LSAT. After doing a little bit of research on LSAT prep, I decided (for now) against paying for the higher priced prep courses and chose to start with Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer book. I have also seen Powerscore mentioned as a strong option with good bang for your buck. Not averse to paying more for prep, but thought I would start with this and see how I feel after a few weeks.

Before any studying I took the test from the LSAC website (untimed) and scored a 153. After 2 weeks of studying I took another prep test, this one timed, and scored a 151. As of now I think my biggest room for improvement exists in the Logic Games and Logical Reasoning sections.

Advertisement
Over the years I have seen several posters mention that they are either lawyers or work in the legal field. I am just wondering if anyone has any tips to share from their experiences studying for the LSAT. After doing a little bit of research on LSAT prep, I decided (for now) against paying for the higher priced prep courses and chose to start with Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer book. I have also seen Powerscore mentioned as a strong option with good bang for your buck. Not averse to paying more for prep, but thought I would start with this and see how I feel after a few weeks.

Before any studying I took the test from the LSAC website (untimed) and scored a 153. After 2 weeks of studying I took another prep test, this one timed, and scored a 151. As of now I think my biggest room for improvement exists in the Logic Games and Logical Reasoning sections.
I didn't do much study for the LSAT.

Do as many practice tests as possible and time yourself strictly. Keep yourself under pressure. There is no substitute for repetition.

Do a lot of the practice exams and review them after to see where you went wrong. Set aside a few and then go back to them after a few weeks and see how you improved. Learn the different types of questions and what they are actually asking because that will make it a lot easier when you go into logical reasoning and can keep in mind the degree they are asking and so forth

If you're based in Miami, look up the Knowledge Co-Operative. Sean Lynch has been teaching LSAT prep for years and is a staple in town for his quirky, yet effective teaching methods. I believe you need about a 155 to get into UM's Law program and he can certainly help you. His prices aren't bad comparatively and he really gets you to that next gear. I'm currently using him for GMAT prep. He is located in South Miami and has class style and webex style classes.

Logical Reasoning is a B**** but he's helped me come a long while.

Advertisement
Good luck. I had flu and running 103 fever when I took it. I was almost fainting between the parts. I assumed I would have to take it again but to my shock I scored fantastic. I can only assume the fever, cold, hydration dizzy spells calmed me down so much that I had not frigging stress at all. I wouldn't recommending you catch the flu but relax and kick its ***.

I don't necessarily think the specific prep course you take is the biggest determination (just as an aside I would not say the same for the bar exam for when that time comes down the road). It sounds like you had the same thought. The big tip, is to FINISH whatever course you take. That sounds like common sense, but a lot of people don't follow through (including a younger me), and it hurts them.

I echo the prior posts saying that repetition is key, and time pressure is important. Just be diligent and do as much as possible. The quicker you can recognize problem types and patterns on the test the better.

Lastly, try not to stress out too much about it. Even if you don't get as good of score as you were hoping for, you never know what schools are looking for in their applicants for that specific year.

My score was not nearly as good as my grades and that hurt me on some applications ($$ wise). But in the end it ended up being a down year for applicants and I still got a lot of good scholarship money and got into all the schools I applied to. You just never know.

Good luck and feel free to message me if you ever want to chat about the LSAT/Law School/the bar exam, etc.

I went through the Princeton Review book cover to cover after class in the library a few pages a day. It helped me score a 161.

7Sage Prep, thank me later.

Logic Games are the easiest to improve. Do them over and over and over again. It becomes second nature. Good luck.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If you're based in Miami, look up the Knowledge Co-Operative. Sean Lynch has been teaching LSAT prep for years and is a staple in town for his quirky, yet effective teaching methods. I believe you need about a 155 to get into UM's Law program and he can certainly help you. His prices aren't bad comparatively and he really gets you to that next gear. I'm currently using him for GMAT prep. He is located in South Miami and has class style and webex style classes.

Logical Reasoning is a B**** but he's helped me come a long while.
Yup I got into UM Law with a 155. 3.2 gpa also.

So UMs standards are clearly not that high for law school lol. They just want that tuition.

Advertisement

I think I used Kaplan. Keep in mind if you don’t get the score you want for your dream school, you get go to a lower ranked school and transfer after your first year. Just get a good enough score to get into a school though. Doesn’t matter where you go as long as you eventually pass the bar

Advertisement
Back