OT: Tailgating BBQ

All ACC
Premium
Got a new Pit Barrel Cooker i'm thinking about bringing to tailgate this year. Unfortunately the gates open so close to game time its hard to really smoke some meats other than chicken. Might be able to get some ribs done in the 5 hours before game time but cutting it close.

Thinking about getting a pizza oven connection to the Weber 22" so I know i can have something ready in time.

What's your BBQ setup for tailgates come fall?

Advertisement
Don't bother bringing a smoker to games. There's not nearly enough time. I would recommend bringing a regular grill. You can pre smoke your ribs, brisket, pork butt, etc and on game day you can just throw it on the grill to finish the job/ heat it back up. My buddy has a Coleman portable gas grill that folds up real easy and only requires one of those small propane containers. Perfect for grilling or just heating up pre-made stuff. I've even brought my cafetera to an early game and made cafe Cubano on it.

I've smoked plenty of meats before the games. All different shapes and sizes. Finished them all off with plenty of time to spare before game time. Glad to see there are fellow meat smokers on this forum!

I've smoked plenty of meats before the games. All different shapes and sizes. Finished them all off with plenty of time to spare before game time. Glad to see there are fellow meat smokers on this forum!

Curious what you've been able to smoke in time and how

Usually the darker meats are bigger so they take a little longer. But if things are really hot the meat can be finished off pretty quickly

Advertisement
Smoke your briskets and pork butts so that you pull them just before you head to the stadium. Wrap in foil, then wrap in an old towel and place in a cooler. Give it at least an hour before unwrapping, this will give the meat time to rest and the juices to redistribute throughout. When you unwrap it will still be piping hot.

I've kept brisket hot this way for up to 7 hours but ideally you don't want to go more than 4. You can keep just about anything hot this way but I only do it for large cuts when I have to smoke at home and serve it elsewhere.

Screenshot_20190410-104039_Gallery.jpg

Smoke your briskets and pork butts so that you pull them just before you head to the stadium. Wrap in foil, then wrap in an old towel and place in a cooler. Give it at least an hour before unwrapping, this will give the meat time to rest and the juices to redistribute throughout. When you unwrap it will still be piping hot.

I've kept brisket hot this way for up to 7 hours but ideally you don't want to go more than 4. You can keep just about anything hot this way but I only do it for large cuts when I have to smoke at home and serve it elsewhere.

View attachment 83140
That looks legit.

View attachment 83140

Nice ring on there

Advertisement
Got a new Pit Barrel Cooker i'm thinking about bringing to tailgate this year. Unfortunately the gates open so close to game time its hard to really smoke some meats other than chicken. Might be able to get some ribs done in the 5 hours before game time but cutting it close.

Thinking about getting a pizza oven connection to the Weber 22" so I know i can have something ready in time.

What's your BBQ setup for tailgates come fall?

No dude... a smoker at the games? Smoke em at home and learn some tricks on how to keep it warm or finish at order time like every single BBQ restaurant in the world does.

No dude... a smoker at the games? Smoke em at home and learn some tricks on how to keep it warm or finish at order time like every single BBQ restaurant in the world does.

You're no fun. You can smell smoke at tailgates all around the country before games. Wish they'd just open those **** gates. Oh well, I guess ill have the gameday tailgating thrill of unwrapping tin foil

View attachment 83140

Not fair man still an hour before lunch.

Advertisement
Advertisement
What's everybody's favorite barbecue tools/methods? I'm a pretty casual pitmaster, no competition rigs or professional gear. I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain vertical smoker that I really enjoy. I'll usually start with some lump charcoal in a chimney starter then add chunks of wood as I go to get the smoke flavor. I like using applewood or cherry when I'm making pork. Love that sweet smoke.

What's everybody's favorite barbecue tools/methods? I'm a pretty casual pitmaster, no competition rigs or professional gear. I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain vertical smoker that I really enjoy. I'll usually start with some lump charcoal in a chimney starter then add chunks of wood as I go to get the smoke flavor. I like using applewood or cherry when I'm making pork. Love that sweet smoke.
I've smoked on a weber kettle, had an offset barrel cooker, didn't love it..was just gifted a small pellet grill. Going to try to get that going, and dialed in.

Advertisement
Back