OT: Stadium Tour

Hey everyone. So in the past I've posted about my goal to watch a game at every FBS team's home stadium. I've been making good progress over the last few years hitting up 4-6 new stadiums per year. This year is obviously going to be much different. My buddies and I are still hoping to hit up one new stadium this year, and since its a weird year we figured we would try and hit up a weird school/stadium.

We've targeted the North Texas Mean Green. They are allowing fans in their stadium and it seems to be only about a half hour (without traffic) from DFW. I know we have some TX posters on here, so I was hoping someone might have an insight on where to get some tickets. Probably for the Southern Miss game on October 3rd, but we are open to other home games too. Stubhub and Seatgeek have a couple tickets but since only season ticket holders are allowed in the stadium, the prices are pretty crazy ($65-$75 for a G5 match up). We aren't above paying that but I figured I would throw it out on here just to see if anyone knew of some season tickets holders in the area that would be willing to part with their tickets for a reasonable price. Thanks!

Side note: Mean Green has to be a top 10 nickname in college football right?
Try to hit TCU and SMU as well.

Denton is about 1hr-ish from DFW/Dallas/Ft Worth...straight up 35 ( i think)

Advertisement
I’ve heard West Point is not to be missed. I’ve been to Annapolis to the Naval Academy and the march to the stadium is cool.
I really want to go to both West Point and Annapolis. I am hooked on the service academy gameday experience after going to an Air Force game. It was so unique.

Anyone going to any games this week? Would love to hear your takes on the stadiums/gameday experiences.

I am hitting up my first two games the weekend of 9/17. I'm doing a double header which will be the first time I've hit two stadiums in one day.

Anyone going to any games this week? Would love to hear your takes on the stadiums/gameday experiences.

I am hitting up my first two games the weekend of 9/17. I'm doing a double header which will be the first time I've hit two stadiums in one day.
Why are you RocketsandCanes?

Advertisement
So I'm really excited for Western. I actually grew up in Saginaw and surprisingly I've never really spent much time in Kalamazoo. And WMU and U of M are my last two schools I haven't hit in Michigan. My brother in law is an alum and he recently moved back there so he will be showing is around. I thought it was really cool they get to host Pitt too. Any can't miss spots to eat/drink while we are in town?

Hopefully not going up when cold! No suggestions to eat/drink from me as we drove up just for game.

BE62EC4C-3637-4FF4-A475-87803AC90E45.jpeg

Advertisement
So I'm really excited for Western. I actually grew up in Saginaw and surprisingly I've never really spent much time in Kalamazoo. And WMU and U of M are my last two schools I haven't hit in Michigan. My brother in law is an alum and he recently moved back there so he will be showing is around. I thought it was really cool they get to host Pitt too. Any can't miss spots to eat/drink while we are in town?
There’s a HopCat in Kzoo and Kalamazoo Beer Exchange is also pretty good

What stadiums?

Advertisement
Nice. Few years ago. Went to Vandy-Bama and then to MTSU at night.
Nice! That's a really cool double header. My buddies and I are hoping to something similar in a few years since Toledo heads to WKU in 2024. It looks like Vandy is home against SMU that same date. No word in MTSU game for that weekend yet. Would love to hit 2 games if possible. Did you go to any games this year?

Advertisement
Made it to 5 new stadiums this year, which I'm pretty pumped about. Brings my count up to 31/131. Would love to keep that pace most years if I can. Also brings me pretty close to finishing up my 1st entire conference. I need to go to a Ball State game to complete the MAC.

The first two games I did on the same day, which was my first double header. Started the day with Ole Miss @ Georgia Tech and finished it with Charlotte @ Georgia State. One of my buddies moved from DC to metro-Atlanta this year so we got to go down and stay with him for the weekend.

Game: Ole Miss Rebels vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Date: 9-11-22
Stadium: Bobby Dodd Stadium
Stadium Total: 27/131 = 20.6% complete

We woke up early and drove to Atlanta from the Marietta area. Parked at one of the Georgia State lots at about 10:30am. Cost around $20 and we left the car there all day. I don't think they technically open till around 2 for night games but the parking attending didn't care. It was a really cool parking situation because it was one of the old Fulton County Stadium lots (where the Braves played before Turner Field). They still have part of the old stadium wall down below the parking lot and a monument the Hank Aaron and his record-breaking HR.

From there took an uber to Fado Irish Pub (Great fish n' chips), which I think might be a chain down there. But we watched the early games and ate prior to walking over to Bobby Dodd Stadium. The bar was full of Ole Miss fans. I will never truly understand the whole "dress up for college football Saturdays" thing. But like clockwork they were all dressed in golf/tennis attire. Made for some cool color contrasts during the game as the crowd was pretty much split 50/50.

It was about a 15 minute walk to the stadium, and we walked through all the frat/sorority tailgates which is always some good people watching. Way more of a college town feel to their campus than I expected being basically in downtown Atlanta. Bobby Dodd kinda pops up out of nowhere.

The stadium itself is pretty cool being one of the oldest (if not the oldest?) continuously used stadiums in CFB. Feels very small in the best way. You are right one top of the game. We sat in an end zone and the sightlines were still awesome. The game itself was a complete blowout. Ole Miss won 42-0. But the crowd stuck around. Ga Tech fans were pretty cool overall. Although I guess you have to when you are getting beat that bad. We sat surrounded by Ole Miss fans and a few were really cool to talk to - others were pretty obnoxious.

I'll post the rest of the stadiums over the next few days. I meant to post them during the season but I had a hard time reading the board given the way this season played out. Very excited for all the roster turnover these past few weeks. Need a lot of new blood in this program.

Attachments

• 8B6E6873-13B8-47A9-847E-4037BC600111.JPG
    8B6E6873-13B8-47A9-847E-4037BC600111.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 9E9BEC8D-062F-4DC2-AF22-5076639187DC.JPG
    9E9BEC8D-062F-4DC2-AF22-5076639187DC.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 88E22230-ADF7-4B09-A8AA-80F397CA5C42.JPG
    88E22230-ADF7-4B09-A8AA-80F397CA5C42.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 1865D9E9-44CB-4CD5-A2C7-5F008B15F972.JPG
    1865D9E9-44CB-4CD5-A2C7-5F008B15F972.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 15
  • 7734E7EC-963E-4322-ACD1-E2AC638EE147.JPG
    7734E7EC-963E-4322-ACD1-E2AC638EE147.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DF8AFA6F-7651-43BD-B5D0-5FD9B698B900.JPG
    DF8AFA6F-7651-43BD-B5D0-5FD9B698B900.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Nice! That's a really cool double header. My buddies and I are hoping to something similar in a few years since Toledo heads to WKU in 2024. It looks like Vandy is home against SMU that same date. No word in MTSU game for that weekend yet. Would love to hit 2 games if possible. Did you go to any games this year?
Charlottesville for first time & Atlanta again

Might do Temple and another game next season

Advertisement
Back