OT: SEC Wins again...

Advertisement
I like a coach who thinks outside of the box that way, but I like the ruling in as much as we have arguably the most fertile recruiting base in the nation.

That will also stop us from scrimmaging in Palm Beach County or Naples or anywhere like that.

That will also stop us from scrimmaging in Palm Beach County or Naples or anywhere like that.

I don't think so, Chise, b/c it's in the vicinity of our school and is in our recruiting territory. Michigan was going way outside it's immediate recruting area setting up clinics. But regardless, this just shows how scared the SEC is of sleeping giants. Their reign on FBS will be coming to a close shortly.

Advertisement

I don't think so, Chise, b/c it's in the vicinity of our school and is in our recruiting territory. Michigan was going way outside it's immediate recruting area setting up clinics. But regardless, this just shows how scared the SEC is of sleeping giants. Their reign on FBS will be coming to a close shortly.

hard to tell from the article but it says that camps and clinics are prohibited, not scrimmages. not to mention we are in the tri county area. i think we are ok on this one.

Last edited:
Has to be considered a good thing for us.

We have the locational advantage -- stops other schools from setting up shop in our area

I like it because recruiting is really getting out of hand for both schools and athlete activities. They should also ban perspective athletes from speaking about schools (top 5 lists etc) just like schools can't talk about perspective recruits. Eliminate the tired old stupid hat shuffle and require them to only present the attire of the school they will sign with. I know it may not be legally possible, but it sure would eliminate a lot of BS.

You might be right, Relly. But the spirit of the rule is to stop schools from recruiting off campus, and that's exactly what UM is doing by holding scrimmages off campus.

Advertisement
shame that Harbaugh had to ruin it for the people these camps really help, which is the 2star non rated kids that would get looks from the G5 schools and what not that would come work these camps and look at those kids and offer them scholarships. Most of those kids won't be able to go camp at Ohio, NIU, WKU etc to audition for a scholarship offer. Should have found a way to just put a stop to the Power5 schools from infringing on each others turf w/out affecting the kids who need these camps to help them get seen.

You might be right, Relly. But the spirit of the rule is to stop schools from recruiting off campus, and that's exactly what UM is doing by holding scrimmages off campus.

the stadium is off campus. or does that count as part of campus?

Interesting point from both, actually.

I don't have enough info to say if it does impact us, but if just taken literally on the little info we have right now, it could have an impact. My guess is that they're trying to figure this out in the athletics office as we speak

It counts as a "regularly used facility".

Advertisement
For once, I'll join in...

e308abd539afe490b2616273a856bd36.jpg

Can't tell for sure from the article, but the NCAA said the rule applies to "camps and clinics," so hoping that means our scrimmages are safe.

That said, I'm okay with losing them as collateral damage to keep Harbaugh, Meyer, et al from conducting those satellite camps in our backyard. Happy with a NCAA ruling for once. Wonder if they paid Perez for her opinion on the matter.

Th e Franchise;2520407 said:

Its 50miles is the new rule

Advertisement
Th e Franchise;2520407 said:

Its 50miles is the new rule

That clears everything up.

Can't tell for sure from the article, but the NCAA said the rule applies to "camps and clinics," so hoping that means our scrimmages are safe.

That said, I'm okay with losing them as collateral damage to keep Harbaugh, Meyer, et al from conducting those satellite camps in our backyard. Happy with a NCAA ruling for once. Wonder if they paid Perez for her opinion on the matter.

If the rule is 50 miles (which someone mentioned)...Oxbridge Academy is 78 miles away from UM Campus in Coral Gables, and 58 miles away from the home stadium.

The rule will prevent FBS schools from hosting camps or clinics at facilities that they do not use regularly for football practice or play. It also prevents coaches from working as guest instructors at another school's camp.

Also, if I'm reading this right, it also means we are no longer going to be participating in the coaches clinic being held at Dematha, MD.

Our plans are definitely taking a hit

Advertisement
Back