OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

8E415651-A820-49E2-A983-766967AA9163.jpeg
I got extra sides as well.

Advertisement
I don't know man...
Food photographed in hi-def just doesn't look that appetizing.
It looks much tastier when you can't see it.

EDIT:
Desserts always look great, even when you can see it..

thats looks like fire .
It's a variation of this one. I typed the whole thing out once trying to derail a political thread, but it got deleted. Basically the same, but with yellow corn grits with a little butter and cream.

Advertisement
I'll take that too, thanks. I'll bring shrimp and grits.

View attachment 119910

Skrimp and grits is the only seafood out here i will eat. For lottle frozen shrimps denver biscuit company makes a super good shrimp and grits. Big chunks of pancetta in a big hollowed out biscuit. Over medium egg on top with some hot sauce and its over with. I'll take a pic of it when I go sometime thos week.

It ain't fresh florida shrimp and ain't got as much soul as yours buts its pretty tasty.

Ha. I googled this because I didn't know what it was. But it's just another name for ribeye cap. That is badass.

I didn't know what it was either. Sounded high valyrian to me. But now I think it translates to "all men must ribeye"?

Last edited:
It's a variation of this one. I typed the whole thing out once trying to derail a political thread, but it got deleted. Basically the same, but with yellow corn grits with a little butter and cream.

My granny made grits with every single meal every day of the week. She would also have something fried with every single meal. She would fish off her dock off the Swanee river and she would catch brim, blue gill and cat fish and would fry them up.

Skrimp and grits is the only seafood out here i will eat. For lottle frozen shrimps denver biscuit company makes a super good shrimp and grits. Big chunks of pancetta in a big hollowed out biscuit. Over medium egg on top with some hot sauce and its over with. I'll take a pic of it when I go sometime thos week.

It ain't fresh florida shrimp and ain't got as much soul as yours buts its pretty tasty.
I don't know, yours sounds pretty darn good.

Advertisement
My granny made grits with every single meal every day of the week. She would also have something fried with every single meal. She would fish off her dock off the Swanee river and she would catch brim, blue gill and cat fish and would fry them up.

Man I've been down on the Suwannee many, many times. Used to go to Springfest and magnoliafest for years. Grits and catfish is the only thing better than shrimp and grits.

Man I've been down on the Suwannee many, many times. Used to go to Springfest and magnoliafest for years. Grits and catfish is the only thing better than shrimp and grits.
I'm listening.

I like catfish blackened and served over rice pilaf, but I'd like to hear more about serving it with grits.

Ha. I googled this because I didn't know what it was. But it's just another name for ribeye cap. That is badass.

Yeah, years ago, my youngest brother had a job at Publix, and also a kid that grew up with us is a store manager. One day my brother was having a party, and a guy he knew from Publix brought over some ribeye cap. Blew our minds, and he described the whole process and why so few people know about it or order it.

It's the best of both worlds, the tenderness of Filet Mignon with the marbling of Ribeye.

If you can find a butcher to cut it for you, it's literally the best cut of steak you can get (in my opinion).

I'm listening.

I like catfish blackened and served over rice pilaf, but I'd like to hear more about serving it with grits.

My grams used to make cheddar cheese grits, fried catfish and whatever green was available at the time. My favorite is mustard greens but collards will work too.

Cheese grits, layer of greens, fish then hot sauce. Im super weird about textures so I have to have my greens on the side.

Advertisement
Found some pictures of the place we went to in Iceland. It's a private 10 person dinner served by the chef and sous chef. 12 courses and each served with a drink pairing. It was only about $300 US per person. If anyone plans a trip out there I highly recommend Õx - book a few months ahead. Also the restaurant it is inside is very good Indian. Sumac was the name.

The bread pictured they get one loaf per day from a local who still bakes them in a carton underground using the thermal heat. Same with the duck, one per day from a local. It was a very special meal and you really appreciate the scarcity of produce in Iceland after visiting.
IMG_20190926_192435.jpg
IMG_20190926_200746.jpg
IMG_20190926_202754.jpg
IMG_20190926_213354.jpg
MVIMG_20190926_220052.jpg
Screenshot_20200623-182141.png
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190926192933234_COVER.jpg

Advertisement
What is the best restaurant that you have ever been to?

From 5 stars to Food trucks.....

What was the actual meal you had?

Can be anywhere in the U.S. or the world. That you highly recommend if given the opportunity.

I’ll start best overall experience was tastings at Alinea when I was living in Chicago.

My favorite steakhouse (I haven’t been to many) so far is SW steakhouse in Vegas for the Japanese Wagyu.

Favorite hole in the wall joint was somewhere in “Carytown” in Richmond, VA. Can’t recall the name of the spot. It didn’t look like much walking past it. But once you got inside and ate the food was amazing.

I travel a lot and pretty much always have since the military.

Miami
Big fan of Prime 112 and RED whenever I’m in Miami. (Y’all might know some better spots) but I love those two.

Love La Carreta and Versailles as well.

Shoutout to Chef Creole that spot was straight low key.

Outside the U.S.
I went to this Japanese BBQ joint in Shibuya, Tokyo. Really wish I could remember the name. That was too fire.

Rio De Janiero
I’m down here like 4-5 times a year to see my childhood friend who retired from the NFL. Been going down there since he moved to Rio a few years ago.

The ORO restaurant in Leblon is one of my favorites.

Churrascaría Palace in Copacabana
Straight fire.

Aprazível in Santa Teresa
Dope ambiance. Dope food just a great experience overall.

Overall:
Brazil has some pretty good food. I know many of the Europeans go down there complaining. I thought it was solid.

My boy done convinced me to move to Brazil. It’s became my second home. Women are a plus. Language a little tougher than Spanish but I’ll get there.

Bangkok
Sirocco Rooftop Restaurant. This was unforgettable. Just the setup as whole. Bangkok has so many rooftop restaurants and pools but this was the best one that I remember and the service was incredible too.

That’s about it for me. My 27 years on this planet has been cool but I want to see and experience some more restaurants.

CIS what y’all got?

with the amount of super expensive restaurants you’ve been too you better be part of the crew that feeds the bagman!!

Found some pictures of the place we went to in Iceland. It's a private 10 person dinner served by the chef and sous chef. 12 courses and each served with a drink pairing. It was only about $300 US per person. If anyone plans a trip out there I highly recommend Õx - book a few months ahead. Also the restaurant it is inside is very good Indian. Sumac was the name.

The bread pictured they get one loaf per day from a local who still bakes them in a carton underground using the thermal heat. Same with the duck, one per day from a local. It was a very special meal and you really appreciate the scarcity of produce in Iceland after visiting.View attachment 119919View attachment 119921View attachment 119922View attachment 119923View attachment 119924View attachment 119925View attachment 119926

this looks dope! I’m sure I’ll get out there sometime. Looks like a great place to visit

What is the best restaurant that you have ever been to?

From 5 stars to Food trucks.....

What was the actual meal you had?

Can be anywhere in the U.S. or the world. That you highly recommend if given the opportunity.

I’ll start best overall experience was tastings at Alinea when I was living in Chicago.

My favorite steakhouse (I haven’t been to many) so far is SW steakhouse in Vegas for the Japanese Wagyu.

Favorite hole in the wall joint was somewhere in “Carytown” in Richmond, VA. Can’t recall the name of the spot. It didn’t look like much walking past it. But once you got inside and ate the food was amazing.

I travel a lot and pretty much always have since the military.

Miami
Big fan of Prime 112 and RED whenever I’m in Miami. (Y’all might know some better spots) but I love those two.

Love La Carreta and Versailles as well.

Shoutout to Chef Creole that spot was straight low key.

Outside the U.S.
I went to this Japanese BBQ joint in Shibuya, Tokyo. Really wish I could remember the name. That was too fire.

Rio De Janiero
I’m down here like 4-5 times a year to see my childhood friend who retired from the NFL. Been going down there since he moved to Rio a few years ago.

The ORO restaurant in Leblon is one of my favorites.

Churrascaría Palace in Copacabana
Straight fire.

Aprazível in Santa Teresa
Dope ambiance. Dope food just a great experience overall.

Overall:
Brazil has some pretty good food. I know many of the Europeans go down there complaining. I thought it was solid.

My boy done convinced me to move to Brazil. It’s became my second home. Women are a plus. Language a little tougher than Spanish but I’ll get there.

Bangkok
Sirocco Rooftop Restaurant. This was unforgettable. Just the setup as whole. Bangkok has so many rooftop restaurants and pools but this was the best one that I remember and the service was incredible too.

That’s about it for me. My 27 years on this planet has been cool but I want to see and experience some more restaurants.

CIS what y’all got?
I’m old and I travel to eat. Le Bernardin is the best restaurant in the world. I’ve dined there a lot (at least a half dozen Christma eves there) and it’s never disappointed. Food truck no clue. There’s a spicy fried chicken one in Austin I’d like to try, but i keep missing it. Franklins is the best hole in a wall, if you can say that about the greatest bbq ever. Period... if you say differently, you’ve never been there. Paris and London are fun. The lecture room & library sketch London is just fun. 3 bars and a Michelin three star when you’re loaded lmao. It’s absolutely a paradise for adults, from the egg shaped disco bar to the jungle room. I need it to be an epic night for everyone. This is special. I think Street XOXO after, if I got the name right, is the way to finish it off. I’m not turned on by just perfect food and dining anymore. Chicago is a solid food town, but it’s too spread out and still trying a little harder than it should. I grew up there, so zero hate. NYC is the best dining in the US and it’s not that close. I really love Napa and the surrounding areas. Vegas doesn’t suck anymore. They know how to have fun while dining. Red is good and Prime 112 is ok, but I’ll only sit up front behind the curtain to the right when you walk in. My last meal was dog**** there and again no hate. Not a big deal. I go to capitol grill Boca for steaks. They’re pretty much all the same and Bobby takes care of me. I’ll get my table on a Saturday night in season, without calling. To me, that’s everything. I’ll dry age and trim my steaks the way I want them. S&W (because you mentioned it) was great when it was next to the mgm in the early days. Obviously that’s closed and Mike Kennedy, Sherry, Sophie, Pops, Tommy and the rest are long gone. David Burk is a loser executive chef. Michael Furrery* was the GM and it was fun back in the day. The grill late night... dam. Dry aged bone in rib eye the only steak I’d eat there. Had my first latash and Petrus there too... For fun in lesser countries south, I like Belize for chicken and Argentina has great French food and steak tartar fwiw. Funny right 🤔 thinking about steak houses, old school Vegas was fun when I was young. Binions was cool when they had their own ranch. Dam I’m old! Louisiana sucks ***/overrated outside of commanders. This country is really good at food now. Sorry, it’s late for me and I’m rambling. I just ate at the number one restaurant in the world in Paris and it was terrible. Can’t remember the name. Just walking in the front door, the host stand was small and had zero room, turned me off from jump. Next! Lol best Chinese food Nan king San Francisco.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back