OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

My family has lived in the Lou for over 100 years. The city used to have a nice cable-car system which allowed for people to get around the city without cars, much like New Orleans. ****, the original Ted Drewes was right off of a cable-car stop.

Then the oil companies paid to shut down cable-car systems in a number of cities, including St. Louis. The city started moving towards a busing system, and then coupled with desegregation and racial strife, the white middle-class/upper-class moved out to the suburbs. Most of the City of St. Louis hasn't been the same since. There's a couple of nice spots, and downtown is starting to make a comeback, but most of the people with decent income live in St. Louis County, which is why I've been hoping that they merge the city and county.

Isn’t that what the Texas cities did? They kind of annexed suburban areas to increase the population of the “city proper” back in the day.

More cities should go that route IMO.

Advertisement
It’s crazy looking at population changes in America since the 1950s.

1950 census
C27E189F-22EA-4C74-9121-54D35C35BA84.jpeg

2010 census
87704FDA-83F1-499C-BACE-50F39B4BEED9.jpeg

60 years made a world of difference for a lot of cities. I never knew Baltimore, Cleveland, STL, DC, or Boston used to be that big.

If all goes well and shii isn't shut down completely, I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale a month from tomorrow. Need some good eating places out that way if there are any suggestions?? Will be my 2nd time traveling there. I've noted some of the ones already mentioned.
I
If you don't mind shelling out some cash, Anthony's Runway 84 is probably the most iconic Fort Lauderdale restaurant. Incredible Italian food.
Martorano’s is the best Italian experience for out of towners under 70. They play mob movies in the background in an old school dinner club setting. The best bucatini carbonara and meatballs anywhere. Steve is a celeb chef who still cooks there himself. His wife got notoriety on housewives. He’s got a Vegas gig. He surpassed Anthony in that iconic status. Anthony focuses on his pizza franchises now. The youngins would disagree with us both and say Louie Bossi’s...which is garbage imo.

It’s crazy looking at population changes in America since the 1950s.

1950 census
View attachment 119826

2010 census
View attachment 119827

60 years made a world of difference for a lot of cities. I never knew Baltimore, Cleveland, STL, DC, or Boston used to be that big.
At the turn of the century, St Louis was like the 3rd biggest city in the country and hosted a World’s Fair.

Those blue collar cities have gotten hit hard.

Advertisement
At the turn of the century, St Louis was like the 3rd biggest city in the country and hosted a World’s Fair.

Those blue collar cities have gotten hit hard.

Yeah, I understand that corporations are bought and sold all the time, but St. Louis has had an unbelievable run of its biggest corporations being acquired and jobs/headquarters moved elsewhere.

Even Anheuser-Busch is now owned by the Belgians.

St. Louis needs to merge the city and county, and then turn over all the industrial buildings in the city to tech firms at zero cost and zero property tax.

I

Martorano’s is the best Italian experience for out of towners under 70. They play mob movies in the background in an old school dinner club setting. The best bucatini carbonara and meatballs anywhere. Steve is a celeb chef who still cooks there himself. His wife got notoriety on housewives. He’s got a Vegas gig. He surpassed Anthony in that iconic status. Anthony focuses on his pizza franchises now. The youngins would disagree with us both and say Louie Bossi’s...which is garbage imo.
Agree to disagree. Anthony sold the pizza chain. He only has Runway 84 and he's a part owner of Taco-Craft.
Louie Bossi is popular because it's on Las Olas in a trendy area for the under 40 crowd. The food is alright, there's a few things I really liked there and some stuff I wasn't crazy about. There's worse places to go.

My personal opinion on best Italian food (strictly food/kitchen quality) is Valentino, then everyone else. For an out of towner, I'd suggest Runway for the overall experience though.

Advertisement
Okay, best food I ever had was some little Chinese place somewhere around The Cheetah III in Pompano back in the 80's. My partner and I ate there and both thoguth is was best ever. Couple problems with it. Next afternoon neither of us could remember its name. Undaunted, we drove all the way back up there and searched for it. Two hours with no luck. Apparently we were way to drunk that night to even retrace our steps. That does raise the question if the food was that good but I have stuck with that call ever since. Unfortunately most of my favorites have either closed or fall into the "to drunk to remember" list.

For my North Dade brothers, best pizza anywhere and best garlic rolls of all time, Marcella's on 183 st. Come on all you Norland boys, back me up.

I

Thanks bro!!!

Philly is home?

**** man....Geno’s or Pats? they are both so fire to me.

I also ate at that terminal market. That’s ***** so underrated.

Still haven’t had a better Philly than Genos and Pats. The rest are wannabes
I hate Geno's and I hate Pat's. Most locals won't eat there. They are tourist traps. I xan name 5 places in Philly that I can guarantee that are better than both of em. No disrespect to the Oliveri family who owns Pat's (the creator of the Philly steak), they just aren't as good as Jim's on South Street, Gooie Louie's in South Philly, Dalessandro's in Roxbourgh/Germantown on Henry Avenue and Chubby's right across the street, and of course, Max's steaks on Germantown and Erie right in the hood. There are two more places I go to before Pat's and Geno's. One is a place I used to stop at in the suburbs when I used to mess with this one pretty *** girl in Sharon Hill.... called Leo's. Fire *** steaks.

@MainLineCane will tell you, hardly anyone in Philly goes to those tourist spots on 9th and Passyunk, we can take you to some delicious *** spots that are better, trust me. ****, I can make a better steak than them.

Advertisement
I hate Geno's and I hate Pat's. Most locals won't eat there. They are tourist traps. I xan name 5 places in Philly that I can guarantee that are better than both of em. No disrespect to the Oliveri family who owns Pat's (the creator of the Philly steak), they just aren't as good as Jim's on South Street, Gooie Louie's in South Philly, Dalessandro's in Roxbourgh/Germantown on Henry Avenue and Chubby's right across the street, and of course, Max's steaks on Germantown and Erie right in the hood. There are two more places I go to before Pat's and Geno's. One is a place I used to stop at in the suburbs when I used to mess with this one pretty *** girl in Sharon Hill.... called Leo's. Fire *** steaks.

@MainLineCane will tell you, hardly anyone in Philly goes to those tourist spots on 9th and Passyunk, we can take you to some delicious *** spots that are better, trust me. ****, I can make a better steak than them.

Agreed. Went to Jim's the last time I was in Philly.

My very first trip to Philly, I hit both Geno's and Pat's, and I've never been back.

Agreed. Went to Jim's the last time I was in Philly.

My very first trip to Philly, I hit both Geno's and Pat's, and I've never been back.
Jim's can make a steak like no other. Tastes effin righteous either drunk or sober. Whats cool about a lot of cheesesteak places... if you're from out of town, you can order your cheesesteaks and tell em make em to travel and they will wrap the meat, bread and provolone up separately and will last up to a week. When me or family leave home to go back to KCMO, we go to Jim's or Dalessandro's because they do us right when packing to travel. 2x more meat than usual.

Agree to disagree. Anthony sold the pizza chain. He only has Runway 84 and he's a part owner of Taco-Craft.
Louie Bossi is popular because it's on Las Olas in a trendy area for the under 40 crowd. The food is alright, there's a few things I really liked there and some stuff I wasn't crazy about. There's worse places to go.

My personal opinion on best Italian food (strictly food/kitchen quality) is Valentino, then everyone else. For an out of towner, I'd suggest Runway for the overall experience though.
If you're ever in West Palm Beach, check out Grato. Great modern italian food. Buccatinni Carbonara is awesome.

Advertisement
Is Joe's Stone Crab in Miami still mob owned? Think they were sued a few years ago because they only hired waiters & no waitresses.

Advertisement
Back