OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

If you like Cajun food Harry's Bar and Grill in Lakeland or Ocala. I like Chicken Jolie Blonde and they have a killer dessert Chocolate bread pudding with Vanilla ice cream. Not very expensive.

Advertisement
I’m going to have to check out this Los Tacos No. 1 joint. This isn’t the first time it’s been mentioned here. I think it was a favorite of NYSOM.

some of the best I’ve had is Prime 112, Shula’s, and Ruth’s Chris. I rank Morton’s just below those. For a quick bite in NYC, I’ve mentioned this before, but a sub from Faicco’s is the best for under $15. Best Chinese I ever had was Chef Jiao’s in Chinatown, SF. Best Mexican I’ve had is also in the Bay Area. For cheap Mexican, El Grullense is great.

Is it possible to have bad Mexican food in Cali or the southwest in general?

Can’t say I’ve experienced it. I helped a friend move from Miami to Vegas and we made bunch of stops along the way. Eating Mexican in Texas, NM, and AZ before we got to Vegas. All of it was bomb.

Use to hit Bogart’s on the regular when I lived in the Lou. Probably the only thing I miss about that **** city, lol.
I love the Lou haha. I’d never live there again, but it’s good for a weekend.

It’s kinda funny how downtown is one of the ****tier parts of the city with less than great restaurants and bars

Is it possible to have bad Mexican food in Cali or the southwest in general?

Can’t say I’ve experienced it. I helped a friend move from Miami to Vegas and we made bunch of stops along the way. Eating Mexican in Texas, NM, and AZ before we got to Vegas. All of it was bomb.
Mexican and Chinese are a must in Cali. I think I just rotated between those everyday.

Anybody in the Nashville area, Urban Grub was one of my favorites when I lived there. Real good modern southern food.

Five Daughters for some delicious donuts.

Advertisement
This was a such a quality posts. Los Tacos is fire.

So many posters got so many great reccomendations in south Florida I’d need a month to eat it all.

You’ve put me on game with Honduras. I need to check that out.

Cookout is legit for fast food. They had one in Richmond. Them shakes are bangers.

The rest I’m just noting down. I like to keep a running list of restaurants on my phone. So whenever I’m somewhere I can be like “yo such and such said to go here”

Great post

Careful when venturing to Honduras, particularly in the bigger cities on the mainland. It can get icy for visitors real quick. Roatan is full of ex-pats and people from all over the world. Known for being one of the best places this side of Australia for diving. Seafood is generally good any where on the island and relatively inexpensive.

Advertisement
Take cheena! Yessir my ole lady worked for some high power attorneys on lake eloa. Used to take mills to pick her up all the time and grab some tako cheena or pig Floyd's. Floyd's is super good too

Floyd's is really good. Them and Yellow Dog Eats are my two favorite BBQ+ joints in the Orlando area

Some of my favorites

S FL - Joe's year ago & Christy's in the Gables
Tampa area - Burns
Best Stone Crabs on the planet - Capt Ron and straight from his traps at his boathouse
NW Florida - no longer around but Blueroom - best scamp and fish I have ever had anywhere on the earth and also stuffed shrimp in wine sauce
this place was as dive like as you can get
also no longer around Perri's Italian Ristrorante - old school Italian with all pasta made by from scratch daily right up with patsy's and dominck in NYC
best fettacini
Sam's Oaster house
Prescott's when Prescott was cooking

New Orleans
Mosca's
Central Grocery
Mother's
Bon Ton Cafe
Antoine's Restaurant
Sunday Jazz Brunch - Arnaud's
Morning Call at the park for beignets - no longer there
and a lot of others lol

Health Food
Cafe Gratitude - venice beach location
R Thomas Grill in Atlanta
SAMA

Atlanta
Coach & 6 - no longer exists
Chops - for steak, lobster, lump crap
L Thai - organic thai food
Sushi - Tanaka (best outside of Hawaii that I've had)
lots of others

Hawaii
original Roys years ago
Pacific Cafe on Kauai (unfortunately no longer there - every meal always was top 5 meals ever)
numerous hole in the walls on northshore

Charleston
Hanks
Fig
Circa 1886
Do not go to Slightly North of Broad
Magnolias

The redneck taco at Martin's is pretty legit - pulled pork and slaw on top of a hoecake

Never tried the taco, but I'll give it a go next time I'm there. I usually go with buddies and the Big Poppa sampler is usually our pick. Can't go wrong with the ribs, brisket, chicken, and pork along with the 3 sides it brings.

Advertisement
I wish I could talk ewe out of the Ah poivre thing, but eye am learning too bee more tallerant of people's differences re steak preparation.
Don't get me wrong, I love a nice NY strip on the grill too.

If you don't mind shelling out some cash, Anthony's Runway 84 is probably the most iconic Fort Lauderdale restaurant. Incredible Italian food.

Strong reco.
I am not really a huge fan of Italian food, but Anthony's Runway 84 is excellent. And definitely an iconic restaurant in FTL.

Definitely one of Lauderdale's iconic restaurants.

But since you’re talking Italian, no love for Casa D’Angelo?

I think I’m surprised our NY area and TX canes haven’t chimed in.

I know a lot of people call NYC a food capital.

We got FL, ATL, CA, in the building.

My Texas and NYC canes where y’all go when you eat out?

Advertisement
Definitely one of Lauderdale's iconic restaurants.

But since you’re talking Italian, no love for Casa D’Angelo?
That’s one of the spots I would put on par, foodwise. My personal favorite is Valentino Cucina Italiana. But Anthony’s is the one spot I’d suggest to an out of towner.

Cholo Dogs in Orlando is fire. They’re instagram slaps too. Heard one of the owners is also a Canes fan

IG: @cholodogs

I would kill about 5 of these after 80s night at Antigua.
Screenshot_20200622-210928_Chrome.jpg

This looks soooooo flame.

I love the Lou haha. I’d never live there again, but it’s good for a weekend.

It’s kinda funny how downtown is one of the ****tier parts of the city with less than great restaurants and bars

My family has lived in the Lou for over 100 years. The city used to have a nice cable-car system which allowed for people to get around the city without cars, much like New Orleans. ****, the original Ted Drewes was right off of a cable-car stop.

Then the oil companies paid to shut down cable-car systems in a number of cities, including St. Louis. The city started moving towards a busing system, and then coupled with desegregation and racial strife, the white middle-class/upper-class moved out to the suburbs. Most of the City of St. Louis hasn't been the same since. There's a couple of nice spots, and downtown is starting to make a comeback, but most of the people with decent income live in St. Louis County, which is why I've been hoping that they merge the city and county.

Advertisement
Back