OT: Reason for so many NCAA transfers this off-season

RangerGranger

Gnome Sayin'?
When one of my fellow classmates signed with the University of Michigan out of high school, he said he was partly going to Michigan because Michigan lined up a job for his parents out there. It's not off-the-wall to think they Michigan was "paying" this player in a roundabout way by giving his mom and dad a premium job. In this case, I know the player's father was actively looking for a job back in '09.

And then you see all of the transfers this season..

Are they transferring because the schools ultimately could not uphold their end of the bargain due to Covid-19 shoring up all the extra job opportunities?

It's as if the bags that were promised are no longer there.

Someone prove me wrong on this please!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Maybe it’s because the bags aren’t a binding contract and players are realizing they can do whatever they want, especially after they sign. Or it’s because the twitter generation always sees greener pastures on the other side of the fence...or both

Maybe it’s because the bags aren’t a binding contract and players are realizing they can do whatever they want, especially after they sign. Or it’s because the twitter generation always sees greener pastures on the other side of the fence...or both
Here's hoping schools get tired of bagging for players only to have them leave. If those bags dry up things will get interesting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think a lot of it has to do with these kids are choose schools for the wrong reason and after arriving on campus they realize they made a mistake. Bags do play a part in it but not as much as we might think. Most of these 18/19 yr olds don't have any idea of what they want in life make bad chooses.

This is actually a good topic and interesting for discussion. There are no doubt bags in play that influence many of the choices these young men make for their college career. However as one of the old school folks on this board I still buy in to the old cane belief that when our canes are winning there is nobody we can't snag in our quest to build a fence around the state of Miami. I firmly believe that when we are winning consistently and have consistent quality coaching with little turnover, we are in a unique position to dominate college football for extended periods of time. Yes times have changed, but we have seen this evidenced many times since 1982. Call me whatever you want, but I am of the opinion that if Manny can win consistently and meet expectations he will prove once again how insignificant the bagman can be, or how powerful the state of Miami truly is. Time will surely tell as it always has....

They should have the FREEDOM to go to whatever school they want for whatever reasons.

They do. Nobody forces them to sign their LOI with the school they choose. But to allow a free for all after that is absurd.

Advertisement
When one of my fellow classmates signed with the University of Michigan out of high school, he said he was partly going to Michigan because Michigan lined up a job for his parents out there. It's not off-the-wall to think they Michigan was "paying" this player in a roundabout way by giving his mom and dad a premium job. In this case, I know the player's father was actively looking for a job back in '09.

And then you see all of the transfers this season..

Are they transferring because the schools ultimately could not uphold their end of the bargain due to Covid-19 shoring up all the extra job opportunities?

It's as if the bags that were promised are no longer there.

Someone prove me wrong on this please!
It could be that the kid didn't pan out as well. A lot of variables in the bag thing and not just one reason they stop paying out the bag.

Or is it these kids are scared to compete and the NCAA makes it so easy to transfer so it bails the kid out

I'm not so sure you can hold that position and then be accepting of the outstanding talent we have received from the portal.

King
Bolden
KJ Osborn
Trevon Hill
Borregales
Jaelin Phillips
L Hedley.

It kinda highlights the point.

Advertisement
It could be that the kid didn't pan out as well. A lot of variables in the bag thing and not just one reason they stop paying out the bag.

You're right if it's 2019. But in 2020, the kids have barely touched the fields yet and there have been a billion transfers.

I wouldn’t doubt with this COVID-madness that it’s made some kids think twice about being in a city with no family support system (whether its parents, uncles, family friends, etc) or they have seen their schools handle this situation (or equality issues) in a way that didn’t make them feel valued. I’m sure that’s not the whole story, but I wonder how much it might be an influence.

A lot of darkness in this world has been coming to light in the last 6 months. That’s going to make some kids shook if they weren’t raised with a firm foundation

I think the main reason for all the transfers is simply because Lincoln, Nebraska sucks.

Advertisement
Back