OT: Ray Lewis' HOF speech

I agree with that as well, the minute we couldn’t stank are kids was the minute kids grew up without discipline and in there mind no consequences to there actions. Again that’s why I said in my message that not everyone who grows up without prayer turns bad. But I do think that religion does the same thing on a bigger scale with discipline. as at home if misbehave you get a spanking and In the spiritual world if you do bad things your risk your soul. Again it’s just my opinion.

Well I'm not religious anymore. I'm just spiritual. My belief is just try to do the right thing and life will treat you well. Religion in my belief was meant for much greater things than what it's turned into. It has segregated our world instead of bringing us together. Deep inside you know right from wrong. That IMO is God.

Advertisement
My favorite speech of the night was Brian Dawkins'. Knew him well as a player, but thankful to learn about him as a man tonight. Admirable approach.

Lifelong eagles fan and B Dawk was one of my favorite pros ever.

Last edited:
Was it that bad?

It was long and it looked like he was using a sock to wipe sweat off his face. The guys passion and gratitude for what football has given him is unmatched, but probably could have been conveyed in 2500 less words.

Go Canes!

Well I'm not religious anymore. I'm just spiritual. My belief is just try to do the right thing and life will treat you well. Religion in my belief was meant for much greater things than what it's turned into. It has segregated our world instead of bringing us together. Deep inside you know right from wrong. That IMO is God.

Canecrazy, You’re not far away from the truth. The question is why do we know the difference between right and wrong. The answer is twofold. First God created us to be like him in the sense that he gave us an intellect and the priveledge to make choices. Second, He reveals himself to us again in two ways through nature and through conscience. Finally, The ultimate revelation of God is in when he became man in the person of Jesus Christ. Read The Gospel of John with an open mind.

After watching that, I am completely exhausted. Unfortunately, he reminds me of the "**** fire & damnation" type preachers that always turned me off.

Advertisement

This.

Plus just my humble opinion but I think the minute we took prayer and god out of schools was when we started bringing up a whole generation of non god fearing people that think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want including doing horrible things to one and other. When you take prayer/spirituality out of peoples lives these people fail to realize they have a soul and that it needs to be protected. When you don’t think you have a soul to loose then it becomes a green light to delve into the dark side of life because you don’t feel your risking anything eternal. Again just my humble opinion as a Catholic. And I would feel any religion would feel the same way. So I liked rays speech and all be it long, I thought brought some meaning to the night. Now let me put my statement in context, I’m not saying all people become evil without prayer and religion but I would think there has to be some connection to the fact that for the last 25 to 30 years or so since prayers been taking out, things with our youth seem to have gotten a lot worse.

I am certainly not catholic, but rather Presbyterian. However I agree with you completely. Great points u make. Prayers in school hurt no one. These current generation of students are entitled, lazy, disrespectful and wholey unaccountable. I serve as a high school administrator dean of discipline. I'm shocked by the level of trash our teachers are trying to manage and educate. It's near impossible and comical... Which leads them to me every day to deal with. I ve had plenty of blessings to help many young people make changes to become better, educated, successful men and women. That keeps me going every day

I agree with that as well, the minute we couldn’t stank are kids was the minute kids grew up without discipline and in there mind no consequences to there actions. Again that’s why I said in my message that not everyone who grows up without prayer turns bad. But I do think that religion does the same thing on a bigger scale with discipline. as at home if misbehave you get a spanking and In the spiritual world if you do bad things your risk your soul. Again it’s just my opinion.

You may be 100% correct. I don't claim to be an expert, but if you have ever been to the hood you know parents don't give a **** about that and spank their kids all the time. Those same areas have the most crime in the USA.

Plus just my humble opinion but I think the minute we took prayer and god out of schools was when we started bringing up a whole generation of non god fearing people that think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want including doing horrible things to one and other. When you take prayer/spirituality out of peoples lives these people fail to realize they have a soul and that it needs to be protected. When you don’t think you have a soul to loose then it becomes a green light to delve into the dark side of life because you don’t feel your risking anything eternal. Again just my humble opinion as a Catholic. And I would feel any religion would feel the same way. So I liked rays speech and all be it long, I thought brought some meaning to the night. Now let me put my statement in context, I’m not saying all people become evil without prayer and religion but I would think there has to be some connection to the fact that for the last 25 to 30 years or so since prayers been taking out, things with our youth seem to have gotten a lot worse.
lmao

Advertisement
Holy crap this thread is a political $hitshow! Did not expect that from reading the subject line, but Ray Ray has always been a polarizing character, so it makes sense

Anyhow, I just read somewhere that "Ray Lewis is the seventh Miami Football alum inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Pittsburgh and Syracuse are the only schools in the ACC with more alums in Canton. The Panthers and Orange both have eight players in the Hall."

With Reed, Gore and probably Hester, Wilfork, Wayne, and maybe Andre down the road, we will easily be #1 from the ACC.

GO CANES!!

I agree with most of what you are saying Mr. Crazy. Religions like to delineate and dictate, their tenants are indisputable and some the beliefs are quite draconian.
A wise man put his spirituality in these terms. God is love... the antithesis is comprised of hate, envy, vengeance, violence and fear.
I do not like to argue about religion, because I don't profess to know "everything."
I believe Ray is a good man... don't see anything wrong with what he says.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah the speech was long but his intentions are always good; just sometimes the execution. Loved the shoutout to the U, wish more Canes who make the HOF would/will do that. We should have a handful coming up soon. As to the discipline aspect, I agree. Raised my three that way and they’re all doing extremely well; PhD from the U, Masters degree, and the 3rd in college now. Do they have their days just like we as human beings all do? Sure. But we taught them open communication and consequences of their actions. Only had to give them a pop once - they knew if they did something wrong after that what was up.

He could've said the same thing in like 3,000 less words. He's just passionate and once his wheels start going it's hard for him to stop. If he cut-out all the religious mumbo-jumbo it would've been a great speech and would've been half as long. Other than that, I loved his message. Loved the fact that he paid homage to his high school coaches and gave a massive shout-out to The U.

I hear and understand what you're saying ....and definitely NOT seeking to change anyone else's beliefs....just stating my opinion and why I disagree.....BUT I never thought schools were where anyone learned or developed religious beliefs, discipline, morality or spirituality. I definitely don't feel that they'll develop it just by reciting a prayer

That ( discipline & morality etc) should start and should come from home.

I just don't feel it's appropriate for someone..... not of my own choosing( teacher)....imposing their sense of discipline, religion, morality or spirituality on me or my children.

That's why I choose the church I want to go to.....and when they're older they'll make their own choice which religion they'll follow.

Finally, Higher crime, loss of morality etc comes from numerous far more influential other factors, many of which are still ongoing ......other than just not having prayer in schools.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I hear and understand what you're saying ....and definitely NOT seeking to change anyone else's belifs....just stating my opinion and why I disagree.....BUT I never thought schools were where anyone learned or developed religious beliefs, morality or spirituality. I definitely don't feel that they'll develop it just by reciting a prayer

That ( morality etc) should start and should come from home.

I just don't feel it's appropriate for someone..... not of my own choosing( teacher)....imposing their sense of religion, morality or spirituality on me or my children.

That's why I choose the church I want to go to.....and when they're older they'll make their own choice which religion they'll follow.

Finally, Higher crime, loss of morality etc comes from numerous far more influential other factors, many of which are still ongoing ......other than just not having prayer in schools.
Well said points sir.

Advertisement
Back